Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Obsidian Antīs Video from today nails it right on the head

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Frankly, if you dive into a thread with a name that carries a blue privilege, whether you have your mod hat on or not, you are held to a higher standard of debate and should remember to conduct yourself accordingly.
    Don't do that. Don't hold them to higher standards of debate. They are rule enforcement volunteers, not Saints.
    Tribalistic Fanboyism is not good for the game, any game really. I Love Elite, but don't always love the implementation of the ideas nor the development philosophy.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Elite Dangerous 2.4 "The Announcement"

Elite Dangerous 3.0 "Announcers!"

Elite Dangerous 4.0 "Declaration of Announcement"

Good one.
    Tribalistic Fanboyism is not good for the game, any game really. I Love Elite, but don't always love the implementation of the ideas nor the development philosophy.

Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    There still is a plan according to FD, what I'm saying is why should FD update everyone every second of the day as to what the plan is.
    Honest question, hyperbole aside what is a reasonable point for a progress check in and a "here's what next" style update? I ask because I have no idea what the answer to either of those is right now. I have no idea what the end goal should look like to measure current progress against it. And I certainly know nothing about what to expect near or long term.

This hasn't been for just a second, or a single day, or week or month. To be honest I've never known what E was really envisioned to be or how it was envisioned to function. Nothing I'm aware of communicated in the year I've had the game clearly covered that.

Sure, FD isn't obligated to answer or provide insight into their direction, but if they never answer, yeah, people are going to ask more and more often. Not because they want answers every second, but because they feel the need to remind FD every second that they haven't gotten word of the direction, short or long term, in months. I think we both know they only would have to answer once in a very long while to deal with that if they would also keep us aware of short term goals for progressing the game.

Originally Posted by DefiledDragon View Post (Source)
    Every second of the day? Once every couple of months would be nice.

My video game related mailbox looks like this.

RSI
    RSI
    RSI
    RSI
    TESO (I don't even own this)
    SWTOR
    RSI
    SWTOR
    STO
    RSI
    TESO
    RSI

etc...

Last newsletter I got about ED was June 2016. I must have unsubbed by mistake or something...
    I've just received the current newsletter at 19:04 tonight, so yeah - check you're subbed
    C:\> Cannot find Reality.sys. Universe Halted.

Slopey's Elite: Dangerous Best Profit Calculators!:
    Now retired - other market tools are available.
    Alleged destroyer of the entire Universe economy.

Originally Posted by iFred View Post (Source)
    - community loves the game
    - no real progress in developement
    - no plans announced for the upcoming patches
    - patience goes WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

exactly my opinion. Hopefully Frontier will listen and tell us whats coming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4HnFLn7aOo

Very good video with excellent opinion and point of view. I fully agree.

Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    I've just received the current newsletter at 19:04 tonight, so yeah - check you're subbed
    They're not worth subbing to. There's no news in their newsletters, it's a screenshot page with some marketing ..
    Elite Dangerous short stories:
    https://voidstarblog.wordpress.com/

With the Zac thread, we are less pessimistic now

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    With the Zac thread, we are less pessimistic now
    The Royal 'We' or the Borg 'We'?

Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    Don't do that. Don't hold them to higher standards of debate. They are rule enforcement volunteers, not Saints.
    But despite any claims to the contrary, they are not on equal footing with the rest of us either, and in my opinion should not engage in forum discussions using their moderator account. Have you ever tried to IGNORE one of these "Volunteers" by adding them to your Ignore List?

Give it a try and then come back and tell me that they are no different than any other member of this forum. This is why I just have to laugh when one of them claims that their moderator status doesn't matter.

Commander Goldengoose7
    A
    isling
    Duval Systems Command
    Cubeo • Medupe City • Official HQ

Originally Posted by GG7 View Post (Source)
    But despite any claims to the contrary, they are not on equal footing with the rest of us either, and in my opinion should not engage in forum discussions using their moderator account. Have you ever tried to IGNORE one of these "Volunteers" by adding them to your Ignore List?

Give it a try and then come back and tell me that they are no different than any other member of this forum. This is why I just have to laugh when one of them claims that their moderator status doesn't matter.
    There is problem though, with the nature of moderation. Having paid moderators is potentially more controversial than having volunteer moderators. I don't see an easy solution for that. But who is willing to moderate as volunteer and to deal with all the toxicity of the internet?

What I find it extremely questionable is when they say they are also forum members (which is true and ok), to somehow justify their lack of respect to other forum members. I get it that they are volunteers, and that they have the right to take parts in discussions, but I would have expected them to know how to debate, or at least to act more respectfully.

EDITED: I misinterpreted something, I erased it. The original post is quoted below anyway.

Originally Posted by GG7 View Post (Source)

What difference would it make on another account? They'd still have a moderator account. They have a feature where they can turn the blue off for a minute in order to discuss like one of us. They are also not allowed to take moderator action on threads where they do such. With there being a process to also dispute any mistakes or shenanigans, which does work by the way, they are forced onto equal footing if they aren't already making sure they keep themselves that way.

And no, I haven't tried to ignore any of them as I don't use that feature as flippantly as others. I can handle disagreements and trolls, for me it's more reserved for instances where I need to protect myself from responding in a way that would break rules.

Originally Posted by Besensec View Post (Source)
    I think he was being sarcastic, as in don't expect them to know how to debate, they are law enforcers.

There is problem though, with the nature of moderation. Having paid moderators is potentially more controversial than having volunteer moderators. I don't see an easy solution for that. But who is willing to moderate as volunteer and to deal with all the toxicity of the internet?

What I find it extremely questionable is when they say they are also forum members, to somehow justify their lack of respect to other forum members. I get it that they are volunteers, and that they have the right to take parts in discussions, but I would have expected them to know how to debate.
    I'm wasn't being sarcastic in this case. It's getting old that moderator status is becoming, more and more, some point of argument when it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. The nature in which they speak and make mistakes shows their humanity and I appreciate it regardless of others' opinions on it. I don't hold them to a higher standard than myself, they just happen to be able to enforce the forum rules. It should also be noted that they are just as capable of being reported as the rest of us should you find they are breaking the very rules they are to enforce.

With that, I'm not going to respond further because we're off topic. Send me a PM if you insist.

Did anyone see Star Citizens update from last week. Their video bordered on too much information as far as game development is concerned. Its as if they let Dav on the loose.

O well.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546