Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Obsidian Antīs Video from today nails it right on the head

Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    I agree with you except for more hype videos. They do nothing for me and always convey an amount of excitement that I've never been able to personally achieve in game. In game is what matters to me.
    You're right, but a marketing team of a few guys could easily pop out a good video here and there. It wouldn't need to take away from any game development.

Originally Posted by iFred View Post (Source)
    - community loves the game
    - no real progress in developement
    - no plans announced for the upcoming patches
    - patience goes WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

exactly my opinion. Hopefully Frontier will listen and tell us whats coming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4HnFLn7aOo

Thats about the size of it I've been playing for less than a year so i still have patience and hope.

I think alot of this is down to the iterative style of development Frontier took, i.e. small iterations and future functionality is often present in an inert early form before its fully complete. It means that releases (when releases work) are frequent but a bit underwhelming and it all lacks a big impact. It would go alot better if the iterations were always well communicated with plenty of effort to manage our expectations. The big advantage of iterative development is you get something playable out to market years quicker than the alternatives. But as the codebase gets bigger and more complex it means each subsequent release takes longer & has more bugs/issues/delays.

Ive not seen such an iterative approach for such a big and complex game before so it's a bit of an unknown quantity. Iterative development works well for corporate IT projects (where surprises/excitement are not a good thing) and theres a firm agreement between the client and the developers on what the end product will actually have in it. Can games have that? I honestly dont know. We want the developers to surprise us, iterations can only surprise us in small ways. We have no firm agreement between players and developers on the true nature of the final finished product, if we did it would kill all the surprises.

Things can be done better but perhaps it's the lesser evil of the available options... hands up all those who gave up waiting for Star Citizen

Basically, sound like what we want is "Season 3 - hashing out existing features".

So much potential with what is already there, just needs some development. I'm good with . a year (even two) of no new features. Just hash out what we have...

Z...

Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post (Source)
    Basically, sound like what we want is "Season 3 - hashing out existing features".

So much potential with what is already there, just needs some development. I'm good with . a year (even two) of no new features. Just hash out what we have...

Z...
    I think we need a poll:

Would you buy Elite Dangerous Season 3: Finishing What We Started?

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No

Z...
    Yep. I'd buy Elite Season 3: Foundations in a heartbeat. As long as it actually had core mechanic development that is.

I'll reiterate my point that I think features like Multicrew ended up half-baked because FD released a roadmap in 2015 and then were trapped into releasing everything on it even after it turned out it needed more time in the pot. If them keeping quiet means that they don't release things until they are ready, then for god's sake keep quiet!

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    Yep. I'd buy Elite Season 3: Foundations in a heartbeat. As long as it actually had core mechanic development that is.
    So you're going to pay twice? No man, you already paid for the game its time for FD to deliver.

I always love the idea of new content.....or news of new content.....but I'm pretty darned content at the moment. 2015 was a pretty bland year for me, with those updates offering me very little in terms of new content. Season 2 (2016-17) has seen much, much more radical changes, & changes which have had a direct impact on my game-play experience.....which is why I am probably so happy (relatively speaking) at the moment. I do hope that 2.4 isn't much later than the end of August though.

- - - Updated - - -

Z...
    Nope, that's what 2.4 should be.......2.4: Fleshing it Out. There is plenty of flesh they could add to the current content that would still fit in with an Update, as opposed to an entire Season. However, I do agree that every update in S3 should contain at least one thing from the previous seasons that gets some more flesh added to it .

AFAIK, most people think 2.4 is Aliens.

So, in terms of FD announcing what is coming, if correct, they only thing for them to say is:

"2.4 is Aliens"

Which many suspect anyway.

So..... ok, let's assume FD have said that. Where do we now stand? Has anything changed?

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    AFAIK, most people think 2.4 is Aliens.

So, in terms of FD announcing what is coming, if correct, they only thing for them to say is:

"2.4 is Aliens"

Which many suspect anyway.

So..... ok, let's assume FD have said that. Where do we now stand? Has anything changed?
    It's more than just 2.4 Agony...they could tell us that, there isn't anything in development for scanners or planetary scanners to help make finding organics or volcanism easier. They could tell us that they actually began working on additional multi crew roles. Tell us something that they are actually working on rather than the normal...sounds like a neat idea, we may consider that at some point, no promises, no guarantee, no eta...

Elite doesn't have a subscription model. They only get money from new purchases.

So how does Frontier continue to pay all the their staff, their programmers, designers etc? By getting more people to buy the game.
    Sure, the store game extras help a little, but under their current business model they need to sell more copies of the game. That's why Frontier put their resources into getting the Xbox and PS4 versions made - to get more games sold.

So what Frontier is doing is perfectly rational considering their business model. Some resources are put into the game, but most goes into increasing the number of game purchases.
    Now that they have ported the game to all major platforms, future work will concentrate on expanding the game in ways that causes excitement in the press - to generate sales.

The fact is, concentrating on patches is great for retaining current customers - but does very little for generating new sales. Game magazines and sites don't get excited over patches and fixes (unless it's a AAA game that's just come out riddled with bugs).

Frontier have not given us a roadmap of when fixes and features will be done is because they don't know themselves. They have to wait to see how much revenue will be generated by the PS4 release before they now whether or not they can afford to retain staff or put on new staff.

And remember, a lot of Elite: Dangerous is truly pioneering stuff - it hasn't been done before. Sure, there are games out there that may do particular features better - but that's all they do, they're not intertwined and dependant on a dozen other completely different types of game design and game play. The only other game out there that comes close to matching the scope of Eliteangerous is Star Citizen - and even with all the resources that game has it still hasn't come out of Alpha.

What is really sad is the hypocrisy of people who wrote negative reviews on Steam when they are still regularly playing the game! All they have done is drive off potential customers which paradoxically has made it less likely that they will get the features they want. They think they are forcing Frontier to do what they want. Instead all they are doing is cutting off their own nose to spite their face.

Was getting worried, I haven't posted for such a long time I was on attempt number 5 to log into the forum.

Last time I played Elite was more or less 18 months ago, my ASP is still floating in the cold, half way out to Heart and Soul neb. I simply could not stand stand the grind any more. I started playing late December 2014. ED was limited back then, it had it's bugs, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. I was looking forward to landing on planets, moons, earth-likes and water worlds. I was so upset when the horizons only offered rock and ice to land on with no atmosphere. OK, I thought, Lets go to Sol and explore that. Oh dear, I cant explore The Moon or several of those rocky/icy solar objects for goodness sakes why oh why grrrrr oh the horror of being disappointed. It was like buying a car and discovering they will deliver and install the seats and lights at some unknown time in the future; the car runs, but it isn't enjoyable to use.

Elite Dangerous is a game that has a development time span of ten years. Each season releases a new facet of the game and even then it appears to be only half a new feature with more work that might be done later. Tweaks buffs and polishing to be dropped in as, and when, and if someone gets around to it. What ever Frontier release, it will only bring joy to some players because you cannot please everyone at the same time. Also, whatever Frontier introduce as new game play, or content, it will have an adverse effect on someone else and they will be in tears because they can't continue doing something they enjoyed. I could say everyone needs to be a little bit patient and understanding towards the huge task Frontier have in developing this game. I can't say that. I ran out of patience 18 months ago and simply stopped playing.

It is likely I could be dead before this game is complete.

Originally Posted by straha20 View Post (Source)
    It's more than just 2.4 Agony...they could tell us that, there isn't anything in development for scanners or planetary scanners to help make finding organics or volcanism easier. They could tell us that they actually began working on additional multi crew roles. Tell us something that they are actually working on rather than the normal...sounds like a neat idea, we may consider that at some point, no promises, no guarantee, no eta...
    I strongly suspect that we will hear something about Season 3 either at E3 or Gamescon in August.....or maybe even both.

Well put Obsidian. I am on the same page exactly. I am very patient. I am happy to wait years whilst they add shiny pew pew to bring in the punters. But I am losing confidence that they will flesh out the core game and give areas such exploration some attention. All they have to do is say that they will eventually do so and I'll carry on happily ignoring the Wizards, hair styles and anything else they dream up.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    Ant does have a point on the one thing I always get confused by; this misappropriation of the term 'salt' by our community.

Elsewhere in my experience it means being upset because you've lost fair and square to another player.

Here in my experience it seems to mean everything from being miffed at dev goalpost moving during events to those advocating for players and groups to be treated equally in terms of content and dev attention :/
    Interesting.

I always use salt as a positive term. Someone is worth their salt. I believe it has nautical origins as many of the terms in the english language do. For example. A rude word that "Jeremy Hunt" is now rhyming slang for was originally the gap between barrels or rope. There used to be a material called "Hunt" lint which was used to fill in the gaps on ropes to make them run smoothly through blocks. I imagine it became rude when sailors would use the term ashore to describe what it now means.

I think the problem is simple. A lack of Drama and excitment in the game.

It's important to remember that Elite is very different from a lot of games. There will never be a big, climatic end scene with a massive event that concludes the game. There will never be a big title roll ending with the words "Commander Jameson will Return in "Elite 7: Dat Asp, dough". You play it, you get a bigger, better ship, you get more credits - but you can never complete it. Eventually you either die, get bored or your computer breaks and you stop playing it. You are NOT the centre of the game, will never be a legend in the universe and are not the only one who can save orc kind. You're just another Joe, trying to make both ends meat flying a spaceship. Which isn't that unusual in the future, so you might just as well be an Ocado driver. It needs more oomph, more changes and so on.

At the moment the only story in the game is some flavour texts in Galnet. And as it has little-to-no effect on the gameplay it's - frankly - f....ahem... flipping... boring. A few weeks ago we have a massive, exciting in-game event and it was......................................

One ship flew from one system to another. And exploded to total indifference from the universe. To be honest the bunfight on this forum afterwards offered more entertainment and drama than that did. It was rubbish.

compare and contrast with the excitement over the Thargoids appearing. THAT even made the BBC news!

I've got bored and more-or-less stopped playing. I actually have to force myself to log on now as it feels less like entertainment and more like work. It's needs some spicing up.

I think FD know this, too. Read their weekly update emails. Gosh they're bland right now. Seriously, the most exciting them they're got going on? - a screenshot competition.

Just realised. I'm posting this largely to avoid having to log on and actually play the game. So. I'm offski.

Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast