Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fear the computer

There's sometimes a tinge of odd elitism (arf... ) surrounding the 'Nope! Never needed one! Who does? Scrubs, that's who!!' rationale of some commanders...

Surely both are enjoyable and equally as valid as well, in their own right. If I can spare a slot I sometimes use a docking computer to make trading and quick mission running more hand's off. But in terms of hard sci-fi and a realistically flavoured sense of immersion, I'd say manual docking is a ridiculous, i.e. I doubt these stations, in particular, would allow pilots manual control of approach and landing and release and egress at all, given the sheer number of potential traffic and the potential consequences should any individual pilot make an error.

And the pilots who go in backwards at speed would be barred from entry... making their 'skill' and daring something which stops them from docking at all.

Originally Posted by STARFIRE REVMEUP View Post (Source)
    The biggest problem with a DC is.. you miss so many great views of the stations and cities on the surfaces. plus the satisfaction of nailing it and a open slot.
    Wait, what? That's completely the wrong way around... at least re what you actually wrote.

Using a DC allows you to sit back and admire the views in a way manual docking cannot match, external cams at quirky angles very much included.

Originally Posted by mung0 View Post (Source)
    What is not fine, is trusting it so much you leave the room to make a cuppa or whatever. That's when you find yourself coming back to a rebuy screen, sooner or later.
    Bah, that's something I've done a few times and I've never had any incidents, ergo it's irrefutable proof it's 100% safe. ;-)

I suppose it also depends on what you're doing and is always relative to ship buyback and balance. I wouldn't hand off docking to the station and computer if I was coming into port from some epic journey, for example, nor if I didn't have much money and was flying a rather costly ship. The only reason I use that method so rarely is simply because it takes up a slot that can usually be used for much more useful things.

However, I do feel DC's should simply be a default part of ship systems, for the above reasons of affected 'realism' and immersion. Perhaps military vessels and/or fighters wouldn't necessarily have them, but everything else? It makes sense for civilian ships and traffic patterns to be handled by station systems.

The DC on my Conda is twitchy at best. Is that because of ship mass or crappy thruster rating?

My smaller ships are far more behaved at DC control. Not perfect by any stretch.

Originally Posted by WC Sarge View Post (Source)
    The DC on my Conda is twitchy at best. Is that because of ship mass or crappy thruster rating?

My smaller ships are far more behaved at DC control. Not perfect by any stretch.
    Let's just say it's not the smoothest pilot on any ship.

If you want to make a realism argument. To me it is a lot more realistic to believe that in the far future all docking into and out of a busy space port would be handled by the port's flight traffic controlled central computer, not left up to pilot error. I could see making the argument for a small out post manually landing, but a busy port in a central system, nope.

Originally Posted by WC Sarge View Post (Source)

The mass of an annie is surprisingly negligible for a ship of its size. So yeah it's more down to the thrusters. the more inertia / 'skid' your ship has when changing heading or throttling down, the rougher your docking comp experience is going to be.
    mostly harmless

mostly

Originally Posted by Fray View Post (Source)

Wait, what? That's completely the wrong way around... at least re what you actually wrote.
    He must've made a typo. I have used docking computers. It's great to look at the scenery just like an excited tourist as the familiar strains of the Beautiful Blue Danube accompany your ride into the docking bay.

But that docking computer is taking up valuable space on my ship. Even though my piloting skills are worse than that massive lump of circuitry, I've decided to do without. What I do is "Touch Docking". I keep my speed below 100m/s and then point my ship in the general direction of the Docking Slot and then Docking Bay. In a way, my shields are my docking computer.

Rule (1) of Fighter Club is "We do not talk about Fight Club"

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...18#post4688218

Originally Posted by STARFIRE REVMEUP View Post (Source)
    The biggest problem with a DC is.. you miss so many great views of the stations and cities on the surfaces.
    QFT.

I have a DC in my Conda. At stations, I engage it only when I'm near the pad. On planets, often a lot further out as it can be such a pain to navigate to the far side of the settlement and turn round quickly, especially if high-G.

I bought the DC originally because for a while after I bought the Conda I couldn't get it through the slot cleanly to save my life. I had numerous potential underpant-renewal-required moments when I got stuck and the station started warning me. I can fly it in and out easily now, so I don't use the DC very often.

IME, the DC only goes crazy if you're already close to the edge of the envelope. For instance, I was coming in much too fast one time, lost my bottle, engaged the DC hoping it would sort things out, and that's when it boosted me into the side of the station instead of slowing me down.

Mostly it's ok provided you don't expect it to sort out a rubbish approach quickly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123