Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear the computer

Now I'd totally get a docking computer if I could stop 100m from a planet's surface and let the DC find a place on the ground so I wouldn't have to search around for one.
    %5BURL=http://inara.cz/cmdr/57746%5D%5BSIGPIC%5D%5B/SIGPIC%5D%5B/URL%5D

Originally Posted by Y nt Zoidberg7 View Post (Source)
    Now I'd totally get a docking computer if I could stop 100m from a planet's surface and let the DC find a place on the ground so I wouldn't have to search around for one.
    Yes, you are correct, the recall function when it lands is not human at all.. finds a spot instantly and goes to it. It would be unbeatable if there was a DC that did that

Personally, docking is one of the most fun parts of the game for me. I'm a speed dock-er, and getting better and better docking times is my challenge for myself.

Having said that, each to their own. Some people prefer auto shift to manual in a car, people are even buying cars with self parking. Meh, whatever. Just enjoy yourself.

Z...
    CMDR Barefoot Bandit
    Pilot of The Golden Phallus™

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Originally Posted by STARFIRE REVMEUP View Post (Source)
    The biggest problem with a DC is.. you miss so many great views of the stations and cities on the surfaces. plus the satisfaction of nailing it and a open slot.
    I have over 17 weeks of playtime. I've seen it, nailed it. I'm landing and making a sandwich right now.

Originally Posted by The New Number Two View Post (Source)
    I have over 17 weeks of playtime. I've seen it, nailed it. I'm landing and making a sandwich right now.
    LOL, i get it, my wife uses one as well. she calls it her Valet.

So Decided to test it. (put my money where my mouth was so to speak)
    In my anaconda
    7.5km on the side of a station. DC = 1min 45 sec .... myself = 62 seconds
    5km straight in front of a corilis station DC = 1min.18 seconds... myself = 42 seconds

Basiclly self landing saves about 30 seconds.

LOL, i get it, my wife uses one as well. she calls it her Valet.

So Decided to test it. (put my money where my mouth was so to speak)
    In my anaconda
    5km straight in front of a corilis station DC = 1min.18 seconds... myself = 42 seconds

While I like knowing it is faster to do it yourself. I am way more curious if it looked like the computer was gonna try and kill you.

Originally Posted by Freelancer Knux View Post (Source)
    While I like knowing it is faster to do it yourself. I am way more curious if it looked like the computer was gonna try and kill you.
    As for the Conda, it flew her pretty gentle, almost grandma. But i suppose its relative, i push it pretty hard.

Only use DC on my Cutter. And only for final approach. I fly through the letterbox and hand over.
    I use the time for route plotting so it is a time saver for me when I'm doing bulk trading.
    The rest of the time it's more a game for me to dock as fast as I can

That's cool.

...but can you do THIS?

(Please note that I neither approached the station at a safe speed, nor was mindful of other pilots in the area.) 07

Originally Posted by Freelancer Knux View Post (Source)
    See the attempting to murder you every other time is a scary thought. Do you still have control while its active or do you just have to watch and hope it does its job?
    No, I have to quickly take over and manually fly it. My beluga is shieldless and would easily go boom.
    Tip - when using a DC you still have control of its speed. If you accelerate or reverse over a certain speed you regain control. As soon as you slow down again the DC kicks in again.

I use docking computers on most of my ships but I don't rely on them completely. What I do is I approach the station manually (much faster in my opinion), I enter the docking bay and then I leave the rest to the computer. I don't like fiddling with ship position above the landing pad and some ships are really tricky (bugged?) to land properly. So I leave that to the computer. This hyrid solution is fast and comfortable at the same time. When I arrive at an outpost or a surface settlement I leave it entirely up to the computer. I don't like to look for the designated landing pad that's on who knows which side of the outpost, and the same goes to surface ports, I don't like to turn around and spin all over the place just to align myself with a pad that's usually at the other end of the port. But approaching space stations, going through the mail slot, that's a fun activity I never let out of my hands. Not to mention the docking computer's fetish of boosting towards the station then missing the slot completely and hitting it.

The docking computer is a handy thing to have. I've been playing for two years and I still use one occasionally, but don't trust it and never ever leave it unattended or you will find youself at the rebuy screen (or find it has taken over the world).

[Remember Wheaton's Law.]

Docking computer works just fine.. 99% of the time. Putting the pad down to let it do its thing is also fine - as long as that pad stays within reach for the odd time when it gets confused.

What is not fine, is trusting it so much you leave the room to make a cuppa or whatever. That's when you find yourself coming back to a rebuy screen, sooner or later.

Also while they prefer not to speed, they don't adhere to that religiously, so beware of busy stations where the ramming trolls may be lurking.. Probably better to come in manually there.
    mostly harmless

mostly

I use a docking computer 99% of the time even when smuggling-- turn off the modules you want off --then you can get permission to land ----boost till inside station and the slow down and let DC take control BUT make sure you have best Thrusters available
    Not sure Manual Docking could be faster

Originally Posted by jonluv View Post (Source)
    I use a docking computer 99% of the time even when smuggling-- turn off the modules you want off --then you can get permission to land ----boost till inside station and the slow down and let DC take control BUT make sure you have best Thrusters available
    Not sure Manual Docking could be faster
    Full manual can be faster than full DC but in my experience the hybrid solution works best. Approaching the station manually and let the DC put down the ship at the end. Momentum is really important when nearing the landing pad. If the ship is going too fast the DC will have a hard time getting it right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast