Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

Greetings BRC,

It's been a long while since my last race (Kessel Run) but I'm glad to see the community going strong. I only recently moved into an Anaconda and this event seems like the perfect opportunity to get to know the handling of the big ship and do some sightseeing along the way! Glad to add to the pool of L class competitors even if I'm not a seasoned Buckyballer.

So here's to the first (and hopefully not last) journey of the Festina Lente

Intent to race:
    CMDR Perseus Tacitus
    Unlimited Class
    Main Event - Large Division
    Festina Lente - (Anaconda)

It just isn't my night. Second attempt, I missed a beacon due to being distracted.

It REALLY isn't my night. Third attempt, disconnect after six jumps - after I've already used jumponium on the run.

I think this is a sign that I should give up trying to beat ships that can outjump me, and just try to put up a decent time.
    CMDR Timothy Knight - Interstellar Swashbuckler - Buckyball Runner - Dangerous | Merchant | Ranger
    Joyeuse - Imperial Courier (Racing/Blockade Running/Exploration) - Buckyball Run X Winner (Solo/Big X) | BuckyBubble Winner (Top Fuel)
    Haulin' A* - Hauler (Racing) - BRC A* Challenge pre-supercharging class record 9:35:22
    Cortana - Imperial Eagle -Mischief Mile Winner (Fuel Rat Crazies)
    Durandal - Imperial Courier (Combat)
    Excalibur - Fer-de-Lance (Racing/Combat)

[QUOTE]Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, but heck I still made a decent time in the python[/QUOTE]

If you're having fun, you're doing it right! I'm in between, I make some tweaks but don't often go for all-out min-maxing and I don't do manual route plots.

Fourth time's the charm. That was fast, too... for a Courier, at least. And no FSD injection used this time.

I even managed to keep the heat under 130% this time, too!

And submitted. Screenshots from video this time, as I am going to bed and not waiting two hours for video processing just to submit my run. I'll upload it later, presuming I don't try again later. I think I will work on improving my FdL time before I run the Courier again, though.
    CMDR Timothy Knight - Interstellar Swashbuckler - Buckyball Runner - Dangerous | Merchant | Ranger
    Joyeuse - Imperial Courier (Racing/Blockade Running/Exploration) - Buckyball Run X Winner (Solo/Big X) | BuckyBubble Winner (Top Fuel)
    Haulin' A* - Hauler (Racing) - BRC A* Challenge pre-supercharging class record 9:35:22

Originally Posted by andysonofbob View Post (Source)
    I recon I could have shaved 4 mins off my time using standard piloting. I assume I was slow because of my insistance of using the 6 second to approach thingy (until I got close enough to target where I pushed up the throttle). Pressumably most racers use planets to slow etc?
    Using planetary braking can make a massive difference.

My normal approach is:
    Approach at full speed until the HUD shows 5s (or 4s) to target, then slow to 50% speed (mid-blue); this will require a loop back.
    Aim to shoot past as close as possible to the station's parent planet (while remaining outside the drop zone), then loop round once past the planet.
    Roughly a normal 6s approach to the station once past the planet, until down to about 1.2 Mm/s when throttle goes to 100% for the last bit.

This isn't always the absolute fastest approach, but at least can be reasonably consistent. Of course, there is an art to this that needs practice. In this particular race, a number of the stations are around gas giants, which need a slightly different approach - if coming in at 5s or 4s at the right angle, you can just skim close to the gas giant and use its gravity well to slow you right down without needing the loop back.

One of these days I'll get round to putting together a video to demonstrate this (and then allow Bruski / Aken B / furrycat / Cookiehole to show how to do it even better!).

Originally Posted by Birdnose View Post (Source)
    Do not underestimate the Type-6. It makes better time than its brick-like shape would lead you to believe. What it can't do is stop.
    Which is why when racing in the T6 I always carry shields to be able to make good use of lithobraking (see my earlier comment about the sturdiness of tourist beacons!)

Originally Posted by Rankaze View Post (Source)
    The great thing is, most of the little tricks you learn to achieve those kinds of times? Are applicable outside of races as well. Faster supercruise approaches cut time off your trade runs; since time is money, you'll be more profitable. Knowing how to scoop fuel quickly and safely lets you explore farther, faster, and safer. Effective speed docking teaches you precise shiphandling which becomes highly valuable in combat. Tuning a ship for racing teaches you how to get the most performance out of your ship while focusing on the things you really need. Getting better at Buckyball is getting better at piloting.

When I first started in BBR5, I thought I was a pretty good pilot. And then I saw how much better some of the other racers were. I saw Reload's racing launches and amazing speed docking. I saw the effort people put into plotting courses to balance speed vs. fuel consumption (we didn't have fuel scoops back then, so fuel management was a major part of being fast). I realized how much I had to learn.

And then, as I did learn, I saw how it transformed the game for me in other ways. It's been an amazing experience. It's that, along with the company of my fellow racers, that keeps me coming back.
    Bravo, well said!

And everyone else since that post ... wow, there's been some terrific discussion in here recently.

And I can definitely relate to FoxTwo's comment (although I have been getting slightly more competitive recently). I kinda like the idea of just turning up in my ship and racing, hell in my first race (BBR6) I didn't even bother fitting a fuel scoop*1 and had to make an unscheduled detour mid-race to go and refuel at an outpost. I also had to go pretty low tech on the video capture. Had an absolute blast tho and have been hooked on hanging out with this crazy bunch ever since!

*1 because I'd tried a 1E scoop, once, and had come to the conclusion that fuel scoops just weren't worth it!

Edit: oh wow ... rewatching that I've just realised something rather wonderful ... the Viper Mk III featured in that race is the same one that's been sat in cold storage pretty much ever since and has just been resurrected in order to carry out the trial runs for the Lavecon Buckyball Race ... and it still doesn't have a fuel scoop! LOL

Originally Posted by Birdnose View Post (Source)
    Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, but heck I still made a decent time in the python
    If you're having fun, you're doing it right! I'm in between, I make some tweaks but don't often go for all-out min-maxing and I don't do manual route plots.
    This is one of the other great things about Buckyball. You really choose your own level of effort. I know for me, I'm only going all out to win if I think I have a reasonable shot at doing so, while flying the ship I want to fly. Otherwise, I'm just trying to put up a respectable time for what I'm flying and have fun with it.

Some of us will go to incredible lengths to win sometimes, such as CMDR Alot in the A* Challenge giving "manual plot" a whole new meaning, or Bruski in the Aquarian Job taking heat mechanics to the next level, or CMDR Aitken and I in the Mischief Mile performing 4 inflight refuelings in a single race, or Reload back in BBR5 proving that the humble Hauler could hold its own against anything., and having one incredibly epic duel with DiixieFlatline in the process. It's not so much because we're competitive - though we certainly are - as because a particular event captures our imaginations, and going to that kind of length was the fun thing to do.

Buckyball is at its bestt when you're competing against yourself, seeking to push your own personal limits, to become a better racer and a better pilot tomorrow than you are today, and this is why we all celebrate each others' achievements. The competition on the leaderboards is just the icing on the cake.

I do recommend recording your run should something strange happens like strange occurrence in supercruise on the way to sisters' Refuge which I missed getting a screenshot off

I need to sort why I can not start recordings

Edit: Can now record

Originally Posted by crotalus View Post (Source)
    I do recommend recording your run should something strange happens like strange occurrence in supercruise on the way to sisters' Refuge which I missed getting a screenshot off
    I keep thinking I should put together a YouTube dashcam compilation of events like this:

Heheh, this was a slightly worrisome moment in mine... I title this picture, "Move Snake Get Out Da Way".

The Conda did indeed get out of my way, but for a moment there I was afraid we were going to have an incident.

I assume what ever is happening on the right of picture below is due to alien stuff being introduced to the game

and the run did not go well due to the game crashing

Originally Posted by Rankaze View Post (Source)
    Heheh, this was a slightly worrisome moment in mine... I title this picture, "Move Snake Get Out Da Way".

The Conda did indeed get out of my way, but for a moment there I was afraid we were going to have an incident.
    Hah! I thought that kind of thing might be a possibility when I decided to use Tourist Beacons, but assumed it was so improbable that we wouldn't see it. Awesome.

I assume what ever is happening on the right of picture below is due to alien stuff being introduced to the game

and the run did not go well due to the game crashing
    Yeah, that looks like an alien hyperdiction. If it hadn't crashed your client, you would have had a close encounter with a flower ship.

Slightly Late Leaderboard Update

Due to transitioning to a new machine that had no software for the creation of a leader-board, no screenshots to use a backgrounds, and simply because Saitek driver installation is so infuriatingly finicky, I am required to apologize for the lateness of today's leader-board update. But what a huge update it is!

It looks like I padded the size a little when I forgot to trim a duplicate entry for CMDR Drakhyr, who is thus far the only CMDR to submit an updated entry. Anyway...

Grats to CMDR Bruski, who has taken the 1st-place position in all four divisions! See if you can find a common theme among his entries.

In the Small ships division we have two new entries, bringing much needed diversity to that board. First, we have CMDR Timothy Knight putting up a very respectable 2nd-place time in his Imperial Courier, Joyeuse. Next we have the king of ship diversity, with CMDR crotalus taking his Sidewinder, Cerastes through the paces.

CMDR crotalus also posted a time in the Large ships division, providing just enough space to let the leader-board spell out "Large". The leader-board salutes you!

And last, but not least (and actually the first of today's submissions), CMDR Markzx59 flies Transit to a 2nd-place-worthy time in the Route Six-66 event.

And that marks the end of week 1! Good job everyone, I'm looking forward to even more racers next week, and hopefully many more improved times.

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Yeah, that looks like an alien hyperdiction. If it hadn't crashed your client, you would have had a close encounter with a flower ship.
    The game crashed later when attempting to dock at Sisters' Refuge I thought hyperdiction only happen when jumping between systems

The game crashed later when attempting to dock at Sisters' Refuge I thought hyperdiction only happen when jumping between systems
    I don't think that was a hyperdiction (as you say, those only happen when jumping between systems) - I think it's a graphical bug that occurs when an interdiction is taking place somewhere else in the system. I've seen it a few times, and it looks very much like what's behind teh escape vector when you get interdicted.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast