Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

OBJECTIVE

Starting at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system, visit the stations and tourist beacons specified below, making sure to take in the views of four nearby nebulas!

LEADERBOARDS

STANDARD LEADERS
    Event Division Time Holo CMDR Alias Beauty Ship Type Notes
    Route Six-66 Hauler
    California Dreamin' Small
    California Dreamin' Medium
    California Dreamin' Large

UNLIMITED LEADERS
    Event Division Time Holo CMDR Alias Beauty Ship Type Notes
    Route Six-66 Hauler
    California Dreamin' Small
    California Dreamin' Medium
    California Dreamin' Large

FULL BOARDS

Not yet available.

DESCRIPTION

In recent years racers have seen significant improvements made to their vehicles, and humanity has been pushing the boundaries of the Bubble farther and farther, some organizations even establishing stations in the deepest regions of space. In celebration of all that human progress the Buckyball Racing Club is hosting Nebulosity. Nebulosity starts at the newly constructed Rebuy Station in the Fullerene C60 system, and takes racers on a whirlwind tour of four nearby nebulas, some familiar and others less so.

EVENTS, DIVISIONS, and CLASSES

EVENTS
    Nebulocity is comprised of two events in order to make the race accessible to newer racers and those with restricted financial situations, an Intro event and a Main event.

Both events start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system and end at Ring Mine in the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system, but have different stops along the way. Events can be run in reverse (starting at Ring Mine and ending at Rebuy Prospect) allowing pilots two opportunities per round trip to get their best time. (note: The race organizer understands that reversed courses are not always balanced against their forward direction, and is okay with that.)

DIVISIONS
    The main event has multiple divisions, dictating what ship type(s) can be raced in that event. Each event division will have its own leaderboards.

CLASSES
    Pilots choose to race in either the Standard or Unlimited class for both events. The Standard class is prohibited from utilizing Horizons-only benefits; but anything goes in the Unlimited class. This is a one-time choice made when you submit your first run. All further submissions in both events must abide by that choice. Note that this results in two leaderboards for each event/division. Both events have one or two additional waypoints for those racing in the Unlimited class.

EVENT DESCRIPTIONS

In these descriptions links will be provided to example builds, but you are free to choose and build out ships however you prefer, so long as they follow all requirements for Class and Division. For information on how to collect race evidence at tourist beacons, see the Submitting Entries section below.

EVENT 1 -- Route Six-66
    Intro Event
    This is the easiest event to race in, and the least expensive for which to acquire a ship. It bypasses the larger, more well-known nebula that can be seen from Human space, and instead focuses on two smaller ones.

Divisions
    This event only has one division: Hauler.

Route
    • Start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system.
    • Race to the BD+30 623 system. (666 LYs away)
    • Collect media evidence at the Little Blue tourist beacon.
    • If racing in the Unlimited class:
      • Race to the HIP 18077 system.
      • Dock at Mahon Research Base (planetary base).
    • Race to the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system.
    • Dock at Ring Mine (planetary ring asteroid).

EVENT 2 -- California Dreamin'
    Main Event
    This event takes racers to a wide variety of asteroid bases and tourism beacons in deep-space, all situated in or around four nebulas in the rough direction of the California Nebula.

Divisions
    Any ship can be raced in this event, but they will be separated by size.

Route
    • Start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system.
    • Race to the Pleione system.
    • Dock at Stargazer (asteroid belt asteroid).
    • Race to the BD+30 623 system.
    • Collect media evidence at the Little Blue tourist beacon.
      • Race to the HIP 18077 system.
      • Dock at Mahon Research Base (planetary base).
    • Race to the California Sector BA-A E6 system.
    • Collect media evidence at the Alliance Outpost in the California Nebula tourist beacon.
      • Collect media evidence at the Mic Turner Bark Mounds planetary tourist beacon.
      • Note that it is not necessary to land; just get within range.
    • Race to the California Sector BV-Y C7 system.
    • Dock at Darwin Research Facility (solitary, stellar asteroid).
    • Race to the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system.
    • Dock at Ring Mine (planetary ring asteroid).

SUBMITTING ENTRIES

For this race, you will submit a Google form rather than send email.

Before racing, please review the Buckyball Racing Club's "How to Enter" article for info on how to collect evidence.

TOURIST BEACONS
    This race features the use of Tourist Beacons as waypoints. To collect evidence at these locations you must be within 50 meters of a beacon, have it selected, and your ship must be stationary (i.e., shows a speed of 0). For example:

DECLARING INTENT TO RACE

Before racing, it is customary to declare your intent to race by posting in the thread, but it is not strictly necessary. To declare your intent, specify the following:
    CMDR Name (forum alias)
    Standard/Unlimited Class
    Intro Event
    Hauler Ship Name
    Main Event - [Division]
    Other Ship Name

So my intent to race might look like:

CMDR Jak (Jhyrryl)
    Unlimited Class
    Intro Event
    Mini Enigma
    Main Event - Small (Unlimited)
    Enigma Limo (Dolphin)

BEAUTY SHOTS AND HOLO-ME

If you are in 1st-place on any leaderboard the podium requires both a beauty shot of your ship, and a capture of your Holo-Me avatar.

How-To Beauty Shot
    • drop out of supercruise next to a class F star in Solo;
    • orient the ship so that the star fills the upper-left screen;
    • open the camera suite (CTRL+ALT+SPACE by default);
    • switch to the SHIP FRONT camera and hide the UI (RSHIFT+/ by default)
    • take a screenshot (F10);

How-To Holo-Me
    • Open Holo-Me from Station Services
    • switch to the HEAD tab;
    • take a screenshot;

Upload both screenshots to imgur.com or other appropriate hosting service, then include links to them with your submission.

FAQ

Coming soon!

GOOD LUCK!

Fly fast, CMDR!

A REQUEST FROM THE ORGANIZER

If you normally play with Horizons, please race the Unlimited class events and leave the Standard class to less experienced racers who can be competitive amongst each other. Thanks.

Ok I'll bite.

CMDR Name : Pete 'FoxTwo' Aldric
    Forum Name: FoxTwo
    Intro Event: N/A (not gonna race that)
    Main Event - Small/unlimited
    Ship Name: Quantum Leap (DBX)

Did a trial run, to get a feel of how much time I'll be needing. Let's just say I took one too many bathroom breaks
    http://raptr.com/badge/FoxTwo/fs_9c1bc5a32225832b7b8053a08ce2bbf0.png

Originally Posted by FoxTwo View Post (Source)
    Did a trial run, to get a feel of how much time I'll be needing. Let's just say I took one too many bathroom breaks
    Is that because of how long the DBX takes to fuel scoop? <g>

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Is that because of how long the DBX takes to fuel scoop? <g>
    Naaaahh.... it's the distance of the bathroom to my PC Took too long to get back!

Actually it kinda is..... largest scoop available is a class 4... so.... there you go

Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate. I've already committed myself to the Small Worlds 2 expedition.

Count me in for an attempt at something (not sure what yet).

Hauler class you say? I'm in! Well, time allowing...
    Veteran of Lugh, Bast and Hutton Orbital

We fought for freedom, life and mugs

If I am back I might have a go
    probably with a ship with a small jump range

Let's see if I have this straight...

There are eight different scoreboards, but if I enter any unlimited, I'm excluded from the standard, and vice versa. And since I'm an experienced racer, I'm supposed to do Unlimited. But I AM allowed to enter multiple unlimited categories, right?

And the routes for the following categories look like this:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait no, only one division entry per event? So, for example, if I do Small Unlimited California, I can't do a Large Unlimited California or Medium Unlimited California?

I'll be honest, this seems very confusing.

There are eight scoreboards, but any racer can only be on two of them, correct?

My understanding is that if you've chosen, say, "Small/Unlimited" for a run, you're stuck with this for that board. So you could potentially have 1 "Medium/Unlimited" and 1 "Small/Unlimited" in 2 separate boards (Intro / Main Event)

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    I'll be honest, this seems very confusing.

There are eight scoreboards, but any racer can only be on two of them, correct?
    Oops.

In my rush to get the rules up quickly, I overlooked modifying certain details in the final version. You see, I initially had a 3rd event with multiple divisions, and given the nature of the route I wanted to restrict people to a single entry per event to avoid them burning out while trying to run them all. At some point I said that out loud to my wife and realized I was being over-eager and should just cut an event, making it unnecessary to be quite so restrictive.

I'll get an update done asap...pilots can run in all 4 divisions, but they all still need to be in the same class.

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Oops.

In my rush to get the rules up quickly, I overlooked modifying certain details in the final version. You see, I initially had a 3rd event with multiple divisions, and given the nature of the route I wanted to restrict people to a single entry per event to avoid them burning out while trying to run them all. At some point I said that out loud to my wife and realized I was being over-eager and should just cut an event, making it unnecessary to be quite so restrictive.

I'll get an update done asap...pilots can run in all 4 divisions, but they all still need to be in the same class.
    LOL ok sorry if I sound a little bit MORE confused....

Divisions = small / medium / large ship type
    Class = Standard / Unlimited entries

So you said "4 divisions" but there's only 3...

Secondly....your statement also implies that should I choose to run in the Unlimited class, I am forever bound to *ONLY* Unlimited runs for the duration of the event, right?

As an example - let's say I chose to run Small / Unlimited... I could then run Medium / Unlimited and maybe even a Large / Unlimited, but I cannot run a Medium / Standard?

Small, medium, large, and... HAULER!

LOL ok sorry if I sound a little bit MORE confused....

Divisions = small / medium / large ship type
    Class = Standard / Unlimited entries

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Small, medium, large, and... HAULER!
    What Bruski said.

Secondly....your statement also implies that should I choose to run in the Unlimited class, I am forever bound to *ONLY* Unlimited runs for the duration of the event, right?

As an example - let's say I chose to run Small / Unlimited... I could then run Medium / Unlimited and maybe even a Large / Unlimited, but I cannot run a Medium / Standard?
    That's correct. I'd prefer that people with access to good access to Horizons left room on some leaderboards for people who have not/could not extensively engineer their ships.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast