Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 334

Thread: The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

  1. #1

    The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)



    WELCOME!

    Especially to any newcomers to Buckyball Racing who may have come here from Newsletter #177. Thanks for the shoutout, Frontier!


    OBJECTIVE

    Starting at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system, visit the stations and tourist beacons specified below, making sure to take in the views of four nearby nebulas!


    LEADERBOARDS


    DESCRIPTION

    In recent years racers have seen significant improvements made to their vehicles, and humanity has been pushing the boundaries of the Bubble farther and farther, some organizations even establishing stations in the deepest regions of space. In celebration of all that human progress the Buckyball Racing Club is hosting Nebulocity. Nebulocity starts at the newly constructed Rebuy Station in the Fullerene C60 system, and takes racers on a whirlwind tour of four nearby nebulas, some familiar and others less so.


    EVENTS, DIVISIONS, and CLASSES

    EVENTS
    Nebulocity is comprised of two events in order to make the race accessible to newer racers and those with restricted financial situations, an Intro event and a Main event.

    Both events start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system and end at Ring Mine in the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system, but have different stops along the way. Events can be run in reverse (starting at Ring Mine and ending at Rebuy Prospect) allowing pilots two opportunities per round trip to get their best time. (note: The race organizer understands that reversed courses are not always balanced against their forward direction, and is okay with that.)

    DIVISIONS
    The main event has multiple divisions, dictating what ship type(s) can be raced in that event. Each event division will have its own leaderboards.

    CLASSES
    Pilots choose to race in either the Standard or Unlimited class for both events. The Standard class is prohibited from utilizing Horizons-only benefits; but anything goes in the Unlimited class. This is a one-time choice made when you submit your first run. All further submissions in both events must abide by that choice. Note that this results in two leaderboards for each event/division. Both events have two or three additional waypoints for those racing in the Unlimited class.


    EVENT DESCRIPTIONS

    In these descriptions links will be provided to example builds, but you are free to choose and build out ships however you prefer, so long as they follow all requirements for Class and Division. For information on how to collect race evidence at tourist beacons, see the Submitting Entries section below.

    EVENT 1 -- Route Six-66
    Intro Event
    This is the easiest event to race in, and the least expensive for which to acquire a ship. It bypasses the larger, more well-known nebula that can be seen from Human space, and instead focuses on three smaller ones.

    Divisions
    This event only has one division: Hauler.

    Route
    • Start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system.
    • Race to the HIP 16813 system.
    • Dock at Sisters' Refuge (planetary ring asteroid).
    • Race to the T Tauri system.
    • Dock at Hind Mine (planetary ring asteroid).
    • If racing in the Unlimited class:
      • Collect Evidence at the Hind Nebula View planetary tourist beacon.

    • Race to the BD+30 623 system. (666 LYs from Fullerene C60)
    • Collect media evidence at the Little Blue tourist beacon.
    • If racing in the Unlimited class:
      • Race to the HIP 18077 system.
      • Dock at Mahon Research Base (planetary base).

    • Race to the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system.
    • Dock at Ring Mine (planetary ring asteroid).


    EVENT 2 -- California Dreamin'
    Main Event
    This event takes racers to a wide variety of asteroid bases and tourism beacons in deep-space, all situated in or around five nebulas in the rough direction of the California Nebula.

    Divisions
    Any ship can be raced in this event, but they will be separated by size.


    Route
    • Start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system.
    • Race to the HIP 16813 system.
    • Dock at Sisters' Refuge (planetary ring asteroid)
    • Race to the Pleione system.
    • Dock at Stargazer (asteroid belt asteroid).
    • Race to the T Tauri system.
    • Dock at Hind Mine (planetary ring asteroid).
    • If racing in the Unlimited class:
      • Collect evidence at the Hind Nebula View planetary tourist beacon.

    • Race to the BD+30 623 system.
    • Collect media evidence at the Little Blue tourist beacon.
    • If racing in the Unlimited class:
      • Race to the HIP 18077 system.
      • Dock at Mahon Research Base (planetary base).

    • Race to the California Sector BA-A E6 system.
    • Collect media evidence at the Alliance Outpost in the California Nebula tourist beacon.
    • If racing in the Unlimited class:
      • Collect media evidence at the Mic Turner Bark Mounds planetary tourist beacon.

    • Race to the California Sector BV-Y C7 system.
    • Dock at Darwin Research Facility (solitary, stellar asteroid).
    • Race to the 2MASS J03291977+3124572 system.
    • Dock at Ring Mine (planetary ring asteroid).



    SUBMITTING ENTRIES

    For this race, you will submit a Google form rather than send email.

    Before racing, please review the Buckyball Racing Club's "How to Enter" article for info on how to collect evidence.

    TOURIST BEACONS
    This race features the use of Tourist Beacons as waypoints. To collect evidence at these locations you must be within 75100 meters of the beacon, have it selected, and your ship must be stationary (i.e., shows a speed of 0). For example:


    DECLARING INTENT TO RACE

    Before racing, it is customary to declare your intent to race by posting in the thread, but it is not strictly necessary. To declare your intent, specify the following:
    CMDR Name (forum alias)
    Standard/Unlimited Class
    Intro Event
    Hauler Ship Name
    Main Event - [Division]
    Other Ship Name

    So my intent to race might look like:

    CMDR Jak (Jhyrryl)
    Unlimited Class
    Intro Event
    Mini Enigma
    Main Event - Small (Unlimited)
    Enigma Limo (Dolphin)


    BEAUTY SHOTS AND HOLO-ME

    If you are in 1st-place on any leaderboard the podium requires both a beauty shot of your ship, and a capture of your Holo-Me avatar.

    How-To Beauty Shot
    • drop out of supercruise next to a class F star in Solo;
    • orient the ship so that the star fills the upper-left screen;
    • open the camera suite (CTRL+ALT+SPACE by default);
    • switch to the SHIP FRONT camera and hide the UI (RSHIFT+/ by default)
    • take a screenshot (F10);


    How-To Holo-Me
    • Open Holo-Me from Station Services
    • switch to the HEAD tab;
    • take a screenshot;


    Upload both screenshots to imgur.com or other appropriate hosting service, then include links to them with your submission.


    FAQ

    Q: What are the dates, again?
    A: The race started on the 3rd of June, 3303 and ends on the 18th of June, 3303.

    Q: How close to tourist beacons do I need be in order for it to count?
    A: 100 meters. Previously it had been 75 meters, but then someone demonstrated that an Anaconda needs more room. Prior to that it had been 50 meters!

    Q: In systems with 2+ destinations, can I visit them in any order or only that provided in the event description?
    A: For systems with multiple destinations, you can visit those destinations in any order.

    Q: Even when running in reverse?
    A: Especially when running in reverse.

    Q: How many ships can I race?
    A: 4, but all must be in the same Class (i.e., either Standard or Unlimited).

    Q: So I can race in all three divisions of California Dreamin' and a Hauler in Route Six-66?
    A: Yes.

    Q: Can I race a Hauler for the small ships division of California Dreamin'?
    A: Yes. Do you think that's a winning strategy?

    Q: Do you think I want to win?
    A: This is the perfect race for people who like to visit new places more than winning. Racing is about doing a little of both.


    GOOD LUCK!

    Fly fast, CMDR!

  2. #2
    A REQUEST FROM THE ORGANIZER


    If you normally play with Horizons using engineered ships, please race the Unlimited class events and leave the Standard class to those who do not, allowing them to be competitive amongst each other. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Ok I'll bite.

    CMDR Name : Pete 'FoxTwo' Aldric
    Forum Name: FoxTwo
    Intro Event: N/A (not gonna race that)
    Main Event - Small/unlimited
    Ship Name: Quantum Leap (DBX)

    Did a trial run, to get a feel of how much time I'll be needing. Let's just say I took one too many bathroom breaks
    http://raptr.com/badge/FoxTwo/fs_9c1bc5a32225832b7b8053a08ce2bbf0.png

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by FoxTwo View Post (Source)
    Did a trial run, to get a feel of how much time I'll be needing. Let's just say I took one too many bathroom breaks
    Is that because of how long the DBX takes to fuel scoop? <g>

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Is that because of how long the DBX takes to fuel scoop? <g>
    Naaaahh.... it's the distance of the bathroom to my PC Took too long to get back!

    Actually it kinda is..... largest scoop available is a class 4... so.... there you go
    http://raptr.com/badge/FoxTwo/fs_9c1bc5a32225832b7b8053a08ce2bbf0.png

  6. #6
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate. I've already committed myself to the Small Worlds 2 expedition.

  7. #7
    Count me in for an attempt at something (not sure what yet).

    (click this image to discover the best of the forum)

  8. #8
    Hauler class you say? I'm in! Well, time allowing...
    Veteran of Lugh, Bast and Hutton Orbital

    We fought for freedom, life and mugs

    Winner, Hauler Private/PVT Buckyball 9

  9. #9
    If I am back I might have a go
    probably with a ship with a small jump range

  10. #10
    Let's see if I have this straight...

    There are eight different scoreboards, but if I enter any unlimited, I'm excluded from the standard, and vice versa. And since I'm an experienced racer, I'm supposed to do Unlimited. But I AM allowed to enter multiple unlimited categories, right?




    And the routes for the following categories look like this:



    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh wait no, only one division entry per event? So, for example, if I do Small Unlimited California, I can't do a Large Unlimited California or Medium Unlimited California?

    I'll be honest, this seems very confusing.

    There are eight scoreboards, but any racer can only be on two of them, correct?

  11. #11
    My understanding is that if you've chosen, say, "Small/Unlimited" for a run, you're stuck with this for that board. So you could potentially have 1 "Medium/Unlimited" and 1 "Small/Unlimited" in 2 separate boards (Intro / Main Event)
    http://raptr.com/badge/FoxTwo/fs_9c1bc5a32225832b7b8053a08ce2bbf0.png

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    I'll be honest, this seems very confusing.

    There are eight scoreboards, but any racer can only be on two of them, correct?
    Oops.

    In my rush to get the rules up quickly, I overlooked modifying certain details in the final version. You see, I initially had a 3rd event with multiple divisions, and given the nature of the route I wanted to restrict people to a single entry per event to avoid them burning out while trying to run them all. At some point I said that out loud to my wife and realized I was being over-eager and should just cut an event, making it unnecessary to be quite so restrictive.

    I'll get an update done asap...pilots can run in all 4 divisions, but they all still need to be in the same class.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Oops.

    In my rush to get the rules up quickly, I overlooked modifying certain details in the final version. You see, I initially had a 3rd event with multiple divisions, and given the nature of the route I wanted to restrict people to a single entry per event to avoid them burning out while trying to run them all. At some point I said that out loud to my wife and realized I was being over-eager and should just cut an event, making it unnecessary to be quite so restrictive.

    I'll get an update done asap...pilots can run in all 4 divisions, but they all still need to be in the same class.
    LOL ok sorry if I sound a little bit MORE confused....

    Divisions = small / medium / large ship type
    Class = Standard / Unlimited entries

    So you said "4 divisions" but there's only 3...

    Secondly....your statement also implies that should I choose to run in the Unlimited class, I am forever bound to *ONLY* Unlimited runs for the duration of the event, right?

    As an example - let's say I chose to run Small / Unlimited... I could then run Medium / Unlimited and maybe even a Large / Unlimited, but I cannot run a Medium / Standard?
    http://raptr.com/badge/FoxTwo/fs_9c1bc5a32225832b7b8053a08ce2bbf0.png

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by FoxTwo View Post (Source)
    So you said "4 divisions" but there's only 3...
    Small, medium, large, and... HAULER!

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by FoxTwo View Post (Source)
    LOL ok sorry if I sound a little bit MORE confused....

    Divisions = small / medium / large ship type
    Class = Standard / Unlimited entries

    So you said "4 divisions" but there's only 3...
    Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Small, medium, large, and... HAULER!
    What Bruski said.

    Originally Posted by FoxTwo View Post (Source)
    Secondly....your statement also implies that should I choose to run in the Unlimited class, I am forever bound to *ONLY* Unlimited runs for the duration of the event, right?

    As an example - let's say I chose to run Small / Unlimited... I could then run Medium / Unlimited and maybe even a Large / Unlimited, but I cannot run a Medium / Standard?
    That's correct. I'd prefer that people with access to good access to Horizons left room on some leaderboards for people who have not/could not extensively engineer their ships.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast