Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Kickstarter Go The Way of Pre-Orders?

Originally Posted by StarLightPL View Post (Source)
    You kinda cannot try a pre-ordered material because it is just that - a pay in advance for the project before release. So no mate's copy to try or demo, just pure gamble :-)
    Which is exactly why I very rarely pre-order, try before you buy is the only ways to avoid buying dud's.

It's why I pre-ordered ED (demo) and subnautica (mates machine) which are both great, but avoided star citizen.

The Shenmue III campaign felt like it was pre-ordering years in advance. There was something just a bit dubious about it, the video made it look like Yu Suzuki had been wondering the streets of Japan in a drunken state and some Sony exec had pushed him into the back of a van and set up the Kickstarter page there and then.

The Kickstarter suggested a December 2017 release. Of course, nobody believed that, Kickstarter dates on video games are just for laughs right? Everyone knows you get more cash if you put an unrealistic date in. Why didn't Sony just back the entire project outright then? Because they didn't believe it was a good investment, solution get preorder cash up front.

They haven't shown a whole bunch of progress yet. The most recent update shows a single character waving his arms around. That's not to say the project is doomed just yet, but it's going to be very drawn out and I think people should scrutinize big players using Kick-starter (that includes Frontier).

As much as I enjoyed the Shenmue games and really want to see Ryu avenge his father or complete his kinder egg collection, I didn't back it. I'd rather just get it on release. These were hugely ambitious titles and cost no small amount of cash when they were originally made, there is no way they were going to just knock up a Shenmue game in a couple of years with a relatively small budget.

I can't help thinking that part of the reason some of these games ever got made originally was the very thing the creative developers claim is an issue. The simple fact an (evil) publisher was looming over them, keeping them in line and getting them to be realistic about budgets. No big project in history has casually fallen into place without some level of crunch, some push towards a deadline.

Originally Posted by PhanttoM View Post (Source)
    My experiences with kickstarter/founder-style backing has been:

• Mechwarrior Online - Complete disaster. Have only played 2-3 hours.
    • Star Citizen - Looked okay at first, then became a complete trainwreck.
    • Elite Dangerous - Have logged over 3000 hours.

My conclusion has been that I'll only back existing and established game developers, who have a history of releasing functional games — and avoid projects that start with: "I used to be a well known developer/game".

So stuff like games from Blizzard, CD Projekt Red and yes even Frontier would be something I'll happily back, preorder or support.
    I've just picked up MWO. It has some striking similarities to Elite Dangerous. Lol
    It's Faction Play is similar is utter nonsense to PowerPlay, it makes very little sense, and is basically another, longer way, to join a death match... and of course there's the forum salt levels, although compared to EDs forums, it's quite tame. Lol
    There is about 50 threads about the overuse of LRMs(Long Range Missiles) though, which are only problem if you don't know how to deal with them, which I figured out in the first two hours.

I've only played for about 5-6 hours though, and I highly doubt it will last a great deal longer. Since it's 2014 release, there are still only 11 maps. And for an online deathmatch game, that's simply not good enough.
    Unless the maps are dynamic (BF4) or enormous (Arma 3), then making maps is probably the easiest thing to add to a game like that. And all of the game modes simply end up being a team deathmatch in the middle of the map. Objectives are ignored, mostly. (Which is funny, cos I won us a few matches by doing them myself, with almost no resistance, and then flanking the other team. Double bonus! Lol)

I was hyped for SC, after watching a load of videos, but I absolutely will not give that company any money until the game is fully released. Assuming it ever is, or isn't a load of tripe.

I didn't even back Elite Dangerous, I heard about it being in development, and then promptly forgot about it for a few years, until I saw Zero Punctuations review of it. Lol
    I got it on a steam sale.
    (And I've played nearly 1000 hours!)

Originally Posted by CmdrKull View Post (Source)
    I don't know. Kickstarter basically allowed the TTLG gang to reunite and Underworld looks great. Everspace was the team behind all of the Galaxy On Fire games and Everspace is lots of fun. I think Elite turned out amazing, even if I'm not always happy with some of their additions to the game.

I think Kickstarter is perfect for anyone with a focused idea for a game but a shortfall of cash to make it. I think it is prone to abuse when the developer doesn't know what he wants to make but asks for money to explore his imagination. The thing is, they obviously don't sell themselves that way. I think I will continue backing projects, always for reasonable amounts and only for rojects that seem feasible (an advantage for me as a software engineer is that I can probably judge that correctly at least most of the time).

However if they ever, EVER, miss deadlines and add features in the same enthusiastic press release/newsletter, I'll seek a refund immediately.

On old legends:
    There are plenty of great "old school developers" that never left the industry but either lost their edge or were buried in a monolithic corp for years and have had to start from scratch. Disparaging devs from a different era is foolish. Did you know that the people that make up Rockstar used to make games for the Amiga under Psygnosis? Can't recall if it was DMA or Reflections, but those same old school devs are still pushing boundaries.
    DMA, loved some of their games on the amiga, well Digital Illusions is also still here, and so are many others... I don`t see them asking for money up front though. But i see Tim Shafer, Peter Molyneux, David Braben, Chris roberts, Neil Barnden, Brian Fargo.... All taking money up front and then making games with less features and polish and smart design than their games from the 90`s, releasing buggy messes... i thought that fallout 2 was a bug ridden game, but Wasteland is more buggy even after 2 years of patching and director`s cut re release, and the game... ten steps back

They all had their chance to prove themselves once again... They decided to go the cheap low effort route. Imo because they are old and cannot drop everything and work 24/7 on their dream project but have to be a businessman and think about the profit, and they have all overpromised because they are old legends with big egos

Call me an entitled brat. But my only sin here is that i have actually believed that they will deliver what they have promised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12