Page 567 of 567 FirstFirst ... 557563564565566567
Results 8,491 to 8,505 of 8505

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Star Citizen Thread v6

Originally Posted by Tuub t Tute View Post (Source)
    Beigiarism? Nah, I am expecting to see Mr Spoon taking up the only landing area
    It worries me that none of us need to ask what that reference is.
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu Raxxla wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Originally Posted by DLewth View Post (Source)
    Moons the size of buttons? - I have no idea what you are talking about!

Greater fidelity, better AI, more realism, better space ships and far, far better scriptwriting than anything CIG have ever produced.
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

Wow, female avatars? That must have been in production for a long time...

Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    That guy's eyes are great. Either there's a flock of unicorns flying around and flitting from side to side about ten feet in the air behind the camera and he just can't help glancing at them, or he is lying his head off.
    Kinda reminded me of David Blunkett although tbf he is legally blind.

Originally Posted by Dooguk View Post (Source)
    Five minutes after 3.0 is released, the main topic of conversation for backers will be 3.1. The real Jeebus patch.
    I remember when 2.6 was going to have more content than ED... Those were the days.
    I didn't pledge enough to get a signature.

Originally Posted by MarktJones View Post (Source)
    I remember when 2.6 was going to have more content than ED... Those were the days.
    Yeah, after every single SC patch is going to be better than any AAA game and outclass everything ED has done. When it's released it magically turns out it's pre-alpha and no one knows game development. But the next patch is going to make SC better than any AAA game and outclass everything ED has done. When it's released[...]

*cough*Frontier*cough*ED*cough*
    Not sure I understand?

Elite Dangerous isn't perfect....but it is a game, it works and it launched with everything in place. Since then, it's only gotten better.

There is still, IMO, a lot of room for improvement, and I'd like to see FDs take on Space Legs and atmospheric planets (and of the two, I suspect the Space Legs is the easier). But hopefully season three will improve the mechanics and content already there as FD have proposed. Exploration, the underworld and piracy, powerplay and more could all be improved.

A better example of "evil publishers" - if that is what you are referring to - would be No Mans Skies which was obviously pushed out a year before it was ready. But even when it launched, it was far more complete and developed than anything CIG has pushed out to date. And they did it with a team of 4 devs over three years.

An Interview with Faceware
    Written Saturday 23rd of September 2017
    When the new Faceware tech for Star Citizen was announced during Gamescom, Relay reached out to Faceware with some questions. Today we bring you the answers.

The answers below were provided by Peter Busch, Vice President of Business Development and day-to-day operations at Faceware - a huge thank you to him!
    ---
    Did you approach CIG, or did CIG approach you?

CIG approached us, although we have since learned that around the time of the launch of their original crowdfunding campaign, some of the backers had requested a feature like what FOIP is. Coincidentally, Faceware had been working to develop our realtime product offering within our Interactive Division, which opened in 2016. CIG was the first customer to contact us.

How long did it take to implement the Faceware solution?

Discussions have been ongoing between our dev teams for the most part of a year, but the bulk of the integration has been completed in the month or two leading up to Gamescom.

How long have you been partnered with CIG?

Our relationship to CIG dates back several years. In addition to the FOIP feature, CIG uses our Analyzer and Retargeter software in their animation production for animation within Star Citizen, including Squadron 42.

Had you heard about Star Citizen before?

We’ve been Chris Roberts fans for years. We knew of the crowdfunded project back in 2012 — the same year Faceware spun out from our core technology company, Image Metrics.

When did Faceware start, and how did the idea for it come about?

Faceware dates back to 2003 with the Hitman and Grand Theft Auto titles. The concept came out of the University of Manchester (UK) and was originally offered exclusively as a facial mocap service to the entertainment industry under the Image Metrics brand. In 2008, we partnered with Double Negative to adopt the Faceware products directly into their visual effects pipeline. The company Faceware Technologies spun out of Image Metrics in 2012 and began offering standalone facial mocap software and hardware to the entertainment industry. The core team behind Faceware has been in the animation industry for almost 20 years. Its core staff has been together for nine of those years. The idea behind Faceware Technologies was simple—make dominating facial mocap products that bring digital characters to life.

What other projects, if any, has Faceware worked on?

Faceware has been used on hundreds of projects in and outside of the entertainment industry. In the video game space, some notable projects include Destiny 1 & 2, Call of Duty Advanced and Infinite Warfare, Grand Theft Auto III, IV, and V, Red Dead Redemption, Shadow of War, FIFA, NBA2K09-18, Madden18, and Star Wars Battlefront II.

What’s next for Faceware?

Our focus right now is on our Interactive Division and our realtime technologies, and developing news ways for consumers to interact with games, apps, brands, ads, and more. In gaming, that includes developing interactive experiences, like what we are doing with CIG. We’ve also expanded into Augmented Reality, and are the official AR provider of the Baltimore Ravens and Chicago Bears. Our core technology is always in development. There are exciting things to come from us!

Have people become more interested since the Star Citizen demo?

Absolutely. Star Citizen crashed our website not once, but twice during the debut of the FOIP feature. We’ve brought on additional staff since the demo. These are good problems to have—ever since CIG approached us, we knew that together we could revolutionize the way in which players communicate in-game.

Have VR helmets been considered in the design of the software or is it assumed that other software will deliver the same result?

VR is a very interesting area for us. We’ve worked with Oculus as far back as 2014 to determine how our technology can apply to VR. Because our software simply needs color video as an input to get animation, we have a very specific strategy for VR. We’ve been working on our technology for nearly two decades—quite a headstart for anyone wanting to do live animation in VR. We can’t tell you too much, but we’re keeping a close eye on the social titles within VR.

Any thoughts to people who find the results ‘uncanny’?

The uncanny valley is a tremendous challenge to gaming, and ultimately something that never will truly be overcome —meaning that people will never really believe that real people are talking to each other in a game. There are many reasons for this, mostly related to current technologies. But even when the technologies are in place, it’s hard to believe that the mind will ever be tricked enough for humans to believe a digital character is actually human.
    At the end of the day, what Faceware provides is one ingredient in the recipe of what it takes to create believable animation: motion. We will continue to improve the motion side of what we can achieve in realtime, but because we are just one element, we need to work collaboratively with the engine providers and processing companies, as well as developers like CIG, to make the improvements necessary to create even better artwork.
    Every innovation has to start somewhere. What we have built with CIG is phenomenal and has the foundation to be truly something special.

How will the software account for errors? Say another person comes into view of the camera, or someone is eating.

Our tech is calibrated and “trained” on a specific users’ faces—meaning it is looking for your face vs your friends’ face who is photo bombing your camera. If you re-calibrate on their face, it will now be looking for their face. That will minimize the errors if multiple people move in and out of the frame. In addition, we are building a layer of code into the engine called “Motion Logic,” which is an aesthetic set of rules that ensures the animation will automatically try to always look correct. It may not always do exactly what you are doing, but we can easily make sure that your character's face doesn’t, for example, explode if you are eating or drinking water.

Will the software be toggleable?

This would be a decision that the CIG team will make, but there’s nothing in our tech that has to have an ‘always-on’ functionality.

Outside of games what practical applications does the company see for this technology?

We think what we’re doing with CIG is just the beginning for Live animation. Wherever you can combine a great IP or brand, an audience, and a screen that displays animation, the possibilities are endless. Think of interactive movie posters, or live animation installations (we recently made Chester the Cheetah from Cheetos come to life in New York). In the case of the Baltimore Ravens, we’re overlaying digital imagery on real faces because our software understands where your face is and how it’s moving. In terms of gaming and VR—what we enable is truly a social experience that will become more commonplace in the future for all games. We think anyone wanting to create Machinma or Twitch Streams should certainly be excited. ;)
    ---
    That is all for our interview with Faceware, we hope you found it as interesting as we did!

Once again, a huge thank you to Peter Busch!
    Source: https://relay.sc/article/an-interview-with-faceware
    Hardcore fan-hater
    'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!'

Originally Posted by TenakaFurey View Post (Source)
    Not sure I understand?

Elite Dangerous isn't perfect....but it is a game, it works and it launched with everything in place. Since then, it's only gotten better.

There is still, IMO, a lot of room for improvement, and I'd like to see FDs take on Space Legs and atmospheric planets (and of the two, I suspect the Space Legs is the easier). But hopefully season three will improve the mechanics and content already there as FD have proposed. Exploration, the underworld and piracy, powerplay and more could all be improved.

A better example of "evil publishers" - if that is what you are referring to - would be No Mans Skies which was obviously pushed out a year before it was ready. But even when it launched, it was far more complete and developed than anything CIG has pushed out to date. And they did it with a team of 4 devs over three years.
    My point was that there was no "evil publisher", but they still managed to ship... But I can feel Yaffle giving me a very pointed look so I'll shut up
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu Raxxla wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Originally Posted by Marak View Post (Source)
    Moons the size of buttons? - I have no idea what you are talking about!
    There will be a Hutton Moon in Elite: Dangerous once 2.4 gets deployed :-)

I played both Wizadore and Stryker's Run on the BBC Micro. They were both excellent games. I think the key is that the architecture and memory limitations of the BBC meant that there came a point quite quickly where games ran out of resources, so you couldn't keep bolting on extra bits and dreaming about the best darned 8-bit game ever.

If Chris Roberts were still writing games on his own in his bedroom, and if he had strict deadlines to meet, he could probably still churn out passable games. In fact, if the pledges had dried up after $2M, we would probably have a working Star Citizen now. It seems to me that the lack of deadlines and scope is the problem.

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    Mission Givers delayed by another week. How many times has that happened now?
    Yep, not surprised at all. This will continue sadly. Next week it will be something else, anything to keep pushing that 3.0 release back a bit with their plausible excuses.
    Originally Posted by Dooguk View Post (Source)
    Five minutes after 3.0 is released, the main topic of conversation for backers will be 3.1. The real Jeebus patch.
    3.0 is no doubt going to be disappointment, no matter how good it is. Different people will have different expectations. Those that have bought into the idea of SC will expect greatness, probably not get that but still try to believe it is great and when pushed will cite that 3.1 will clear all the little problems up. The detractors expectations will likely be met with no surprise at all.
    Commander Howard A. Jameson
    System Spec: Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7 975, 12GB Corsair Dominator, EVGA Nvidia 8GB 1080 FTW, 2x 240GB Intel 520 SSD

Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    ....3.0 is no doubt going to be disappointment, no matter how good it is. Different people will have different expectations...
    The same is true for the final game too. Sadly no matter even if the game is actually decent, expectations have been set so high that I can't see 74.3, or whatever live is called, being greeted well.

Think NMS. Then think a lot lot larger. Just my opinion.
    CMDR PiLhEaD

Now I've been pondering, if I were CIG, what would I want to deliver to calm the natives.

I've picked just three.

1. A flight model that gives the ships a proportionate feeling of mass and inertia.
    2. A flipping awesome atmospheric entry and egress experience.
    3. A rock solid crime and punishment system, with MoM quality police AI.

Who's next on the merry go round? Three choices each please, and play nicely xx
    CMDR PiLhEaD

Page 567 of 567 FirstFirst ... 557563564565566567