Page 1 of 553 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 8291

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Star Citizen Thread v6

  1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

    Star Citizen Thread v6

    Hello all,

    Our previous SC thread began to cause some slower than desired page load-up times. As such, it's time for a new thread for Star Citizen discussions. If you want to discuss Star Citizen, this is the place to do so!

    As always, the following rules are in effect for this thread (in addition to the per-forum rules here).

    1. If you cannot debate the subject, and decide to debate, troll, flame, harass, stalk the user/person - your post(s) and all follow up posts will be removed and moderated.
    2. This thread is for the discussion of Star Citizen only. Off-topic discussions will be removed.
    3. Moderation will be dealt with by the Forum manager and volunteer moderators. There is no need to publically call for moderation. Simply report any posts for review by clicking the icon.
    4. Posting of offensive, degrading, or mocking content will not be tolerated.
    - Brett C / bc
    Forum & Community Manager

  2. #2
    Fine, lets discuss a buggy tech demo.

    And for those that won't I have /ignore!

    Still holding out hope that 3.0 at least approaches what we saw in the highly scripted stage demo, orbital flight, descent and pootling about in a rover. Surely they can pull that off.
    Commander Howard A. Jameson
    System Spec: Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7 975, 12GB Corsair Dominator, EVGA Nvidia 8GB 1080 FTW, 2x 240GB Intel 520 SSD

  3. #3
    Thanks Brett. Hoping this troubled non-linear mess of fluid will end up into something more consistent this year.
    Star Citisn't - "Game development is a troubled non-linear mess of fluid"

  4. #4
    The issue with CIG/RSI plus personalities attracting negative and positive scrutiny arises from their decision to make their company and personnel the centerpiece of their marketing campaign. It boils down to "we are better than every other game dev company, and Chris Roberts our CEO has the golden touch". Draw attention to that and people will discuss it.

    Do that whilst systematically failing to deliver for a few years and people will discuss it increasingly negatively.

    Make outrageous claims that you are going to "save PC gaming" then flounder around looking totally out of your depth and people will point and laugh.



    FDEV's official advice on dealing with griefing :
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...efing-(part-2)

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    Fine, lets discuss a buggy tech demo.

    And for those that won't I have /ignore!

    Still holding out hope that 3.0 at least approaches what we saw in the highly scripted stage demo, orbital flight, descent and pootling about in a rover. Surely they can pull that off.
    There are enough marketing materials involving lunar landings to suspect that CIG is confident about their ability to pull it off. Rovers should be easy, as there is a golf cart in hangar and ArcCorp modules, and besides, first Crysis had playable vehicles. One thing I'm not sure about are the transitions between space, orbit and planetary surfaces. While the orbit->planet was shown few times after the demo, there is still no marketing video I have seen that shows travel between outer space and orbit, there was one that had a fade to black between them.

  6. #6
    I'll have to watch it again but there was a video of a ship coming in, passing a station in orbit then proceeding down to a port on the surface. I don't remember any kind of transition. But a lot of it was shown from outside the ship but I don't know if that was a second person filming or what the person flying the ship was seeing.

    Have to watch that again.
    Commander Howard A. Jameson
    System Spec: Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7 975, 12GB Corsair Dominator, EVGA Nvidia 8GB 1080 FTW, 2x 240GB Intel 520 SSD

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by VidarSnipes View Post (Source)
    While the orbit->planet was shown few times after the demo, there is still no marketing video I have seen that shows travel between outer space and orbit, there was one that had a fade to black between them.
    Unusually for Roberts, they seem to have been very tight-lipped on the subject of just how seamless the transition will be in 3.0, which I don't take to be a positive sign for anyone expecting the experience to be like the purpose-built marketing demos CIG have been pumping out for the last couple of years (e.g. Pupil to Planet, Gamescom '16). I am fully expecting a non-interactive cutscene or other smoke and mirrors as you drop into atmosphere, if not the totally separate planetside module that has been suggested once or twice. It will be hand-waved away as "placeholder", or "no one complained when ME:A did it" or similar, as well as the inevitable "CIG never promised it would be seamless".

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by McGlashan View Post (Source)
    Unusually for Roberts, they seem to have been very tight-lipped on the subject of just how seamless the transition will be in 3.0, which I don't take to be a positive sign for anyone expecting the experience to be like the purpose-built marketing demos CIG have been pumping out for the last couple of years (e.g. Pupil to Planet, Gamescom '16). I am fully expecting a non-interactive cutscene or other smoke and mirrors as you drop into atmosphere, if not the totally separate planetside module that has been suggested once or twice. It will be hand-waved away as "placeholder", or "no one complained when ME:A did it" or similar, as well as the inevitable "CIG never promised it would be seamless".
    Restricted planetary instances formed by impassable terrain, no external doors in the ground stations, big fence all the way round and a cutscene to access them. Press <<use>> to enter atmosphere and land.



    FDEV's official advice on dealing with griefing :
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...efing-(part-2)

  9. #9
    Almighty Bob is offline
    This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Almighty Bob's Avatar
    Thank goodness we are still here, Thanks for the redirection, guys (and Boblove)
    I thought we had been censored for a moment.

    So as it is page 1 let me start off as I mean to go on, for any new folk who stumble in

    I'm a bit wooo a bit waa about SC.

    I hope it turns out to the a fantastic game and my guess is that it will. But CIG need to pull their socks up and show some progress.

    3.0 will be an important marker, whenever it comes out. But for me no more money in, no refunds I will let my bet ride and see how it goes

    thanks Brett

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    Press <<use>> to enter atmosphere and land.
    Press <<use>> twice to skip unskippable 18 minute loadin... cinematic exposition and go direct to our convenient Item 2.0 cash store

    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

  11. #11
    Almighty Bob is offline
    This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Almighty Bob's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    Press <<use>> twice to skip unskippable 18 minute loadin... cinematic exposition and go direct to our convenient Item 2.0 cash store

    Asp, I see no evidence for your 'jokey slur' on the hard work of hundreds of hardworking men and women who are trying to produce a game. Please think about their feelings and present facts and reasoned arguments

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Almighty Bob View Post (Source)
    Asp, I see no evidence for your 'jokey slur' on the hard work of hundreds of hardworking men and women who re trying to produce a game. Please think about their feelings and present facts and reasoned arguments
    As evidence I present the Star Citizen logs themselves.

    Have you seen the loading times?

    Code:
    [CSessionManager::OnClientConnected] Connected!
    [CSessionManager::OnClientSpawned] Spawned!
    Times - Lobby: 1.722s connect: 1.728s connected: 26.037s Spawned: 33.409s
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

  13. #13
    Almighty Bob is offline
    This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Almighty Bob's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    The issue with CIG/RSI plus personalities attracting negative and positive scrutiny arises from their decision to make their company and personnel the centerpiece of their marketing campaign. It boils down to "we are better than every other game dev company, and Chris Roberts our CEO has the golden touch". Draw attention to that and people will discuss it.

    Do that whilst systematically failing to deliver for a few years and people will discuss it increasingly negatively.

    Make outrageous claims that you are going to "save PC gaming" then flounder around looking totally out of your depth and people will point and laugh.
    BOB,
    On failing to deliver for a few years, Even the Torch Bearer for the critics, says that no one appreciates how long these complex games take to produce, implying 5 years as a minimum. The Torch Bearer also said ( 2 or 3 years ago) that what they want to produce would take at least 150,000,000. They have that now so GO CIG GO

  14. #14
    Almighty Bob is offline
    This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Almighty Bob's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    As evidence I present the Star Citizen logs themselves.

    Have you seen the loading times?

    Code:
    [CSessionManager::OnClientConnected] Connected!
    [CSessionManager::OnClientSpawned] Spawned!
    Times - Lobby: 1.722s connect: 1.728s connected: 26.037s Spawned: 33.409s
    Explain these figures for your less well informed reader it adds up to just over a minute
    18 mins you quoted?

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Almighty Bob View Post (Source)
    Explain these figures for your less well informed reader it adds up to just over a minute
    18 mins you quoted?
    Have a look for yourself in C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public\Game.log

    18 Minutes is a complete fabrication on my part. I don't think it'll be as extreme as that, but I certainly don't expect an instantaneous and seamless transition as so many have claimed will happen.
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

Page 1 of 553 1234511 ... LastLast