Page 492 of 667 FirstFirst ... 482488489490491492493494495496502 ... LastLast
Results 7,366 to 7,380 of 10004

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Star Citizen Thread v6

Originally Posted by n4p0l3on View Post (Source)
    Wonder when the 45k refund news would hit the journalism world and what effect it would have...

Pretty sure it will have huge domino effect in pc gaming community if major sites reported it...
    Isn't it crazy that this is the largest single customer refund to ever occur within the gaming industry? The most successful crowdfunded thing of all time with the biggest refunds of all time. First a $30k, then a $45k... it's mental. The gaming media ran an article in 2016 on a whale in for tens of thousands, I wonder will they touch any of this?

Well, 45 grand between a pro-gaming guild isn't really very much per member.

Unless their pro-gaming guild is just three people

I keep an eye on the funding chart.

I've not seen a negative value on any of the hourly values after that 45k refund...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

There hasn't been an hour recently where CIG pulled in over 45k.

Is this evidence then that the tracker is presenting false information?

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    Is this evidence then that the tracker is presenting false information?
    I've no evidence to prove anything, but it's my belief that the funding tracker is a bigger work of fiction than the 1500 pages of gritty, lore-based, immersive, engaging and compelling artistry that supposedly make up SQ42.

Originally Posted by BlackSpaceCowboy View Post (Source)
    It's just that us space flight sim fans are desperate for a proper modern successor to Wing Commander or even Freespace. The genre has been totally ignored for so many years. Yet we finally have the tech to build a great space game.

I grew up watching Buck Rogers and Battle Star Galactica.

Well, I too am a fan of space flight sims, and sci fi games in general, my steam library floweth over with the things. The funny thing I notice, there's already loads of games out there that are modern takes on both WC and Freespace/2, I feel it's more CR's name and his associates that hold any gravitas on what qualifies as 'successors'.

We've had the 'tech' for years, it's already out there in countless games. Yet even with the tech actually existing, CIG are yet to make anything of it. They've been dripfed free money for coming on for 6 years now and still nothing of note has come of it. It's always 'soon', tomorrow never comes.

CIG as a company have been gifted $160m and encouraged to make a product that, on paper, is always simplisticly regarded as a spiritual successor, or even a natural evolution of WC and FS/2. The public have endured this long wait, they have via paypal and ks, been keeping this corporate entity on paid life support for 6 years in the hopes that one day SC/S42 finally manages to leave the development bed and begin walking towards the door out into the world. The public have been wearing the same rose tinted glasses while maintaining a close vigil, at times, the product shows signs of a glimmer of life, the public responds by wafting a wad of cash under it's nose, like smelling salts, yet the product falters and slips back into it's development coma. The tinted glasses are scuffed and scraped, to the point where the patient is nothing but a hazy blur through them, it's hard to see what's happening through them, but one thing is plain to see, the company, on lifesupport, is not going to make it.

What I'm basically saying is, CIG have missed their chance, their tech breakthroughs (which are always either outsourced solutions or shameless outright variations of existing old tech) are defunct and unneeded distractions. If there is ever such a thing that qualifies as a true successor in the eyes of the relentlessly loyal portion of the backers population to either WC or FS/2, I can as near as makes no difference, say that it will be designed and built by a company that isn't CIG or linked to it in any way.

You're wrong about the genre being ignored, it's been as busy over the years as the demand wanted it to be, there's no getting away from it that 1.8 million people (at best, we all know there's not even close to that number who have given CIG money) are quite literally a tiny speck, an insignificant proportion, a droplet, a subdivision of a niche hobby (gaming). For them to have raised $160m is quite literally astounding, shame they haven't a product to show for it.

Originally Posted by CmdrKull View Post (Source)
    Other than that, as one developer to another you should grab a copy of Unity and try your hand at a space game all your own. I've made some modest progress, and it's entirely possible it will be ready before SC even assuming they don't run out of money.
    I'm more interested in artificial intelligence. I've been watching courses from Stanford about machine learning. I should have done that years ago.

I figure game development requires too much manpower to create all those models and assets. I have zero artistic talent.

If SC fails maybe the funders can sue to open source the code and let others build upon it.

I'm more interested in artificial intelligence. I've been watching courses from Stanford about machine learning. I should have done that years ago.

I figure game development requires too much manpower to create all those models and assets. I have zero artistic talent.

If SC fails maybe the funders can sue to open source the code and let others build upon it.
    There is nothing to build on. CIG have not produced anything anyone would want.

'Sue to open source the code'? Where on earth do you get these ideas from? The assets of an insolvent company are sold to pay off creditors, and courts can't order them to be given away. And as unsecured creditors, the 'backers' are going to be last in line for any payouts.

Originally Posted by AJW View Post (Source)
    'Sue to open source the code'? Where on earth do you get these ideas from? The assets of an insolvent company are sold to pay off creditors, and courts can't order them to be given away. And as unsecured creditors, the 'backers' are going to be last in line for any payouts.
    I said if it failed. Let's say they release a mess that doesn't satisfy the terms of the funding. Backers can sue to take ownership of the code.

I've never heard of such a case so I'm not saying it's likely. It would be great if the community could use the assets in a series of indie type games.

Originally Posted by 1500 View Post (Source)
    There is nothing to build on. CIG have not produced anything anyone would want.
    Ship models, voice acting and maybe mocap?

I said if it failed. Let's say they release a mess that doesn't satisfy the terms of the funding. Backers can sue to take ownership of the code.

I've never heard of such a case so I'm not saying it's likely. It would be great if the community could use the assets in a series of indie type games.
    The reason you've never heard of such a case is that the law doesn't work that way.

Ship models, voice acting and maybe mocap?
    Have you seen the mocap? It is horrible, and the voice acting is bad as well. Who would want such generic ships? Sure they have detail but no personality, oh nvm that would fit into any other game. But it is still too many poly for what you get and no one would touch them.

Earlier this year, they proudly shown us their alien fidelity-language (or was it last year?), is there even any info on the continuation of that?

It's not an absurd question. I fully understand what the word random means. It should be obvious what I meant from the context.

My point is that SC doesn't need to use any Stellar Forge technology. You can use other techniques to generate a galaxy such that the distribution of stars is convincing. You can create a function that determines the probability that a system of a certain type will be found at a certain point in space relative to other points. We already have over 1 billion (?) stars mapped so you can just extrapolate from that data to complete the galaxy.
    That's what a procedural generation means, to use algorithms, formulas, functions, etc to produce something, in a mechanical way. PG really just means automation.

The bottom line is generating a galaxy is not a huge problem. And the difference in quality of these generated galaxies is not something that most people would notice.
    Just because SC would generate a galaxy doesn't mean that it somehow automatically is better than EDs. It could be, but it's not some magical thing going on here that CiG somehow guaranteed will do something better. We can hope, but we don't know because we can't know. When it's done, then we'll know.

Originally Posted by n4p0l3on View Post (Source)
    Earlier this year, they proudly shown us their alien fidelity-language (or was it last year?), is there even any info on the continuation of that?
    Probably not. Like the majority of these little details, they mention them once or twice to build some sort of excitement then quickly move onto something else.

Spending ages making sure each tiny insignificant pebble has an even number of tiny quartz crystals in, making sure each crystal is perfectly aligned and uniform in size, then eventually loading them into a cheap and nasty pnuematic pebbledashing gun that they've not ordered the airlines for in order to coat the nonexistant wall that might one day sit on a foundation made of quicksand and slurry.

Originally Posted by MTBFritz View Post (Source)
    Exactly. Change the definition enough and everything becomes grinding.

Keep breathing in order to not die....grinding.
    Agree with both of you (see my signature).

Pong, PacMac, Solitare, ... all of them are essentially grinding. 1024, Threes, Sudoku, also all grinding in their own way. Everything in life and games will have forms of repetition. Actually, most games that are successful have some grinding qualities to them. Even PvP shooting games are grinding. I feel it's quite repetitive just to run around and shoot other players in a small area in Halo. Hence, I'm not a big fan of PvP because it's an ultimate grinding situation. Pew, pew, pew, pew pew.... Had to stop because trigger finger started to get numb.

And you're absolute right that in ED that you can choose how much you grind and what kind. You can achieve your goals different ways, and it only becomes and feels like grinding when you want to get there faster than normal. Quince is a grind, because that's what it is, but not on is forced to use that method or force themselves to achieve the top rank in a week. It's a choice.