Page 494 of 667 FirstFirst ... 484490491492493494495496497498504 ... LastLast
Results 7,396 to 7,410 of 10004

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Star Citizen Thread v6

Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    Why exactly there is a light inside a helmet? To blind it's wearer?..
    Headshot indicator.

As for someone who's making a movie, light inside a helmet makes total sense.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10934694

This new CIG company that was registered in the UK recently seems to be for the purpose of licensing the rights to use its new software. I have been told (no source for this bit so pinch some salt) that the procedural generation tech and some of the tools they use to write the software is going to be licensed to a number of other developers for $90 million.
    As they have re written the game engine and it is now an entirely new game engine with 95+ % or the code re written, it is possible that they could licence it. Do any game developers out there know how much it costs to use a game engine? $90 million seems a lot unless a lot of companies buy it.

Originally Posted by Viajero View Post (Source)
    I suspect a big component of any potential sales comes from the perception and confidence by willing backers that the funding tracker is an honest reflection of what other fellow backers contribute, nothing else.
    It's like letting a company set it's own share price. Of course it's always going up.

Originally Posted by metatheurgist View Post (Source)
    It's like letting a company set it's own share price. Of course it's always going up.
    Actually, I think the funding tracker is a vital component of the sales pitch. It helps potential backers see that other people are backing the project, and that makes them more likely to back it themselves. There's a whole branch of psychology about how groups behave differently from individuals, and how individuals' judgements can be clouded if they see they way they think they ought to behave diverging from how everyone else is behaving.

It's the same psychological effect that caused the run on Northern Rock, and that might lead to a sudden collapse for CIG if enough backers perceive that their compatriots are applying for refunds.

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    Well, 45 grand between a pro-gaming guild isn't really very much per member.

Unless their pro-gaming guild is just three people
    I would imagine that in the EULA agreement account sharing for the game is prohibited. So either it was three wealthy people or there were 50 users violating the ToS. Neither of which is very clever.

Originally Posted by Cmdr-Wotherspoon View Post (Source)
    Actually, I think the funding tracker is a vital component of the sales pitch. It helps potential backers see that other people are backing the project, and that makes them more likely to back it themselves. There's a whole branch of psychology about how groups behave differently from individuals, and how individuals' judgements can be clouded if they see they way they think they ought to behave diverging from how everyone else is behaving.

It's the same psychological effect that caused the run on Northern Rock, and that might lead to a sudden collapse for CIG if enough backers perceive that their compatriots are applying for refunds.

Indeed. That funding tracker is the heart of CIG´s sales engine and I am sure they will protect its details like Fort Knox. If any significant cloud of doubt or lack of trutsworthiness ever shroud it publicly I would imagine funding would probably enter some kind of downward spiral.

Originally Posted by Cmdr-Wotherspoon View Post (Source)
    Actually, I think the funding tracker is a vital component of the sales pitch...
    Yup, it gives confidence to new investors (let's call them).

Alas it's meaningless without seeing the other side of the balance sheet.

e.g. a company could be getting £1M in sales per day. Sounds good right? Not so much if it costs them £1.01M per day to run their business.

Originally Posted by BlackSpaceCowboy View Post (Source)
    ...we finally have the tech to build a great space game...
    Seriously, how do 'we' know this? What has been released to the general backers to play that supplies this confidence?? So, after <too many> years, is there only tech from which to build a game??? Oh c'mon, please!

There was good reason that for most of beta cycle ED backer counter was well hidden within backer application settings. Because it didn't count everything reliably, it could have seen seen as way FD convinces people 'everything's alright' and everyone's backing the game so why shouldn't you.

It is hard line to draw when developers are trustworthy. But it is a no go for CIG imho to keep using it after years of false information, huge delays and scope focus changes. No one I know trusts that counter. Even SC fans.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    As for someone who's making a movie, light inside a helmet makes total sense.
    Yes, got to be able to see who is calling you in the picture in picture FOIP coms system when people are wearing full enclosed helmets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_quiW967g

Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post (Source)
    I would imagine that in the EULA agreement account sharing for the game is prohibited. So either it was three wealthy people or there were 50 users violating the ToS. Neither of which is very clever.
    According to the Org theory craft, and Org can own ships, or will be able to and members could then be allow to you then, as the ships have persistence....
    Anyway so they could have 50 starter packages for 50 players and then 3 completionsit packages that will go to the Org as a whole then the members can be issued ships from the Org inventory.

So no need for account sharing for a Org to have any members but few ship packages of many and have the many members use the manage ships*.
    At least I can see how a group might see if working from the sales pitch

*Disclaimer, Orgs and ships may not actually appear in current build of game, your quantum travel mileage may vary, nothing is final

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    There was good reason that for most of beta cycle ED backer counter was well hidden within backer application settings. Because it didn't count everything reliably, it could have seen seen as way FD convinces people 'everything's alright' and everyone's backing the game so why shouldn't you.

It is hard line to draw when developers are trustworthy. But it is a no go for CIG imho to keep using it after years of false information, huge delays and scope focus changes. No one I know trusts that counter. Even SC fans.
    I trust that it represents the amount of cash that has been raised through Kickstarter and subsequent ship sales. I don't trust that it is an accurate portrayal of overall revenue.

We have absolutely no idea how much of a buffer CIG have. Guesstimates range from "half the budget remaining" through "it's all gone". The point at which buyer perception sways more from the former to the latter is the point at which we'll see CIG throw away the tracker and report financials in another way (presumably spun for positivity and "transparency").

Originally Posted by xyphic View Post (Source)
    The simplest explanation for the tracker is that it's tied to their sales backend (i.e. when a sale is made it's added to the tracker). The refund process is manual so doesn't feed back unless someone were to update the tracker, and I don't think this happens. The tracker does not take into account revenue that CIG get from outside the store page (e.g. loans) so while it's a good gauge for sales, it's a poor gauge for overall funding.

I find it unlikely that refunds would exceed $1m even with the notably large ones, so I doubt CIG would worry too much about them -- not unless they're really low on cash anyway.
    So why go to a bank to get more funding? ....if it walks like a duck, and talk like a duck......

Originally Posted by xyphic View Post (Source)
    I trust that it represents the amount of cash that has been raised through Kickstarter and subsequent ship sales. I don't trust that it is an accurate portrayal of overall revenue.

We have absolutely no idea how much of a buffer CIG have. Guesstimates range from "half the budget remaining" through "it's all gone". The point at which buyer perception sways more from the former to the latter is the point at which we'll see CIG throw away the tracker and report financials in another way (presumably spun for positivity and "transparency").
    If we assume that counter shows real numbers - they don't, minus refunds, plus borrowing - even most conservative calculations show they are almost out of money. And that might be fluke, but imho this year's Gamescom, when they clearly have no money to pay to prepare another shiny demo anymore or finish Squadron 42 trailer properly....it is endline for them.

The funding tracker is obviously part of the marketing for the game, it is not trustworthy source. Besides the fact that the company does not make transparent where the data comes from feeding this tracker, it shows only progress and never decrease of funding. You can view it as a metaphor for the whole project marketing, there is no stagnation or decline, there is only progress and positivity, at least that is suggested.