Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: My visit to Frontier Developments and the Future of the Game

This was posted by OA about 4 months ago ..... (bold emphasis by me) .... so it looks like they could be a little way along on this subject (maybe !)

Someone just posted this comment on my YouTube channel. It's a response from Frontier on the "beige worlds" issue:

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies for the delay in responding to you.
    With a game as complex and massive as Elite there's often things we have to go digging for to learn more about, getting context for this digging is part of our job so please do forgive us for needing to ask further questions on things like this! I do believe these changes have been made purposefully, however they aren't fully intended to bring dullness to the game but instead more accuracy.
    I do side with you though that some of the original planets that have since been edited don't look quite as dramatic as they used to, however you'll be happy to know that the atmospheric planets are much more likely to have very dramatic landscapes even as we try to stick within our boundaries of the scientifically accurate.
    Sadly I can't confirm if the current changes are fixed but finding that line between really awesome looking planets and scientifically accurate vistas on distant planets is a constant battle. I'd actually suggest submitting your feedback about the changes to the existing planets on our Suggestions and Feedback forum, contrary to popular belief they are viewed (albeit by non-logged in) developers periodically to get a feel for things exactly like this so it's always worth doing.
    If there's anything more specific we can help you with, please do let us know as we're happy to go investigating further for you
    All the best, Vanguard

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    I am one of the "pessimists" who believe Dale's language suggested little to no work has been done yet on atmospheric landings. My hunch is that the entire team is mostly working on 2.4 right now and not much else. If the planet team is working on anything at all for the future it's most likely the beige planet issue, and after that most likely gas giants if David's words of late are any indication. Sandy himself has said more than once that atmo landings are a very long ways off, and he keeps reiterating that. I for one tend to believe him.
    Yes they said on multiple occasions that Space legs or atmosphere were still far away, and I think it's true.

That's exactly why I'm so curious about what comes next. Cause we have many long time players in this thread who I suppose have relatively high expectations about Elite, and they all seem to really liked a lot what they've seen at fdev.

Maybe I misread this line from OA : "Good news is that there will still be new content added to the game along with new headline features. However Frontier are not willing to talk about what that stuff is just yet."

To me New headline features mean something like planet landing was for Horizons season.

Not talking about non-plot-threatening features and upcoming development just tells me that they have no confidence in being able to deliver those things.

I'm withholding my final judgement on the game for the upcoming alien war. Not hearing much encouraging news from Fdev though. No word on ai work, no word on other measures of success outside of credits, no word on making roles in the game matter, and all of that is just the pve side of things. All of that news can be divulged without leaking any secrets on the plot. Just the status Quo but with alien models and cheater NPC's would be an entirely disappointing fail and a great argument to finally configure my hotas for other games.

Originally Posted by Virgile View Post (Source)
    Considering OA had a look on Elite's future, him correcting what Gamerrevolution said about Atmospheric/EarthLike planets could really let you think that Basic Atmosperic planets are coming with 3.0.

It's gonna be hard to make more "future of Elite videos" now
    Thargoids return in 2.4 we shoot, they shoot back war ensues, now if I have learned anything about military tactics from Starship Troopers we are going to have to find their home worlds and fight them there.

So we are going to need to get down onto those Ammonia atmosphere worlds. 3.0 The Ammonia war.

I am one of the "pessimists" who believe Dale's language suggested little to no work has been done yet on atmospheric landings. My hunch is that the entire team is mostly working on 2.4 right now and not much else. If the planet team is working on anything at all for the future it's most likely the beige planet issue, and after that most likely gas giants if David's words of late are any indication. Sandy himself has said more than once that atmo landings are a very long ways off, and he keeps reiterating that. I for one tend to believe him.
    So that tells me you know *zero* about how their teams work. It has been made abundantly clear that there are different teams working on different parts of the game, & that one team specifically works with planets, so why would they be drafted into working on 2.4?

Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    So that tells me you know *zero* about how their teams work. It has been made abundantly clear that there are different teams working on different parts of the game, & that one team specifically works with planets, so why would they be drafted into working on 2.4?
    Because 2.4 will have alien surface structures and possibly caves too from the sound of it, and those features would be implemented by the planetary "team". And I say team lightly, because Frontier has about 100 people working on Elite today, but once you start to divy out the jobs, including store support, tech support, community people, web people, all manners of jobs, a team of 100 is actually a very diverse team of multi-capable people who most likely work on all manners of various parts of the game from time to time, and I very much doubt most of the 100 are able to stay completely devoted to one specific aspect of the game for prolonged periods, especially not the coding people. In short, I do not believe there is a "team" whose job is just to work on planet generation and the stellar forge non-stop, they most likely only do so when the roadmap calls for it, when the next patch is slated to include content they are skilled to work on.

Not all who wander are lost... CMDR Mengy
    - Explorer, Hunter, Miner, Trader... I aim to misbehave.

A few more workers in each team will get things moving smoothly and quickly ..........

Because 2.4 will have alien surface structures and possibly caves too from the sound of it, and those features would be implemented by the planetary "team".
    You cannot say that - you can guess, but that would be it. I would guess that the planetary team would not be working on 2.4, as it will be hitting on those that create assets to be used more. But that is also a guess.

And I say team lightly, because Frontier has about 100 people working on Elite today, but once you start to divy out the jobs, including store support, tech support, community people, web people, all manners of jobs, a team of 100 is actually a very diverse team of multi-capable people who most likely work on all manners of various parts of the game from time to time, and I very much doubt most of the 100 are able to stay completely devoted to one specific aspect of the game for prolonged periods, especially not the coding people.
    Not true. They have specifically stated previously that they have around 100 developers and this was corroborated by those that went.

In short, I do not believe there is a "team" whose job is just to work on planet generation and the stellar forge non-stop, they most likely only do so when the roadmap calls for it, when the next patch is slated to include content they are skilled to work on.
    See the livestream from the pre-Horizon days where Ed was interviewing two of the planetary team (it may have been the entire planetary tam for all I know). Their skills seem to be very specialized and geared towards the procedural generation of planets.

Because 2.4 will have alien surface structures and possibly caves too from the sound of it, and those features would be implemented by the planetary "team". And I say team lightly, because Frontier has about 100 people working on Elite today, but once you start to divy out the jobs, including store support, tech support, community people, web people, all manners of jobs, a team of 100 is actually a very diverse team of multi-capable people who most likely work on all manners of various parts of the game from time to time, and I very much doubt most of the 100 are able to stay completely devoted to one specific aspect of the game for prolonged periods, especially not the coding people. In short, I do not believe there is a "team" whose job is just to work on planet generation and the stellar forge non-stop, they most likely only do so when the roadmap calls for it, when the next patch is slated to include content they are skilled to work on.
    Ultimately we're all guessing here

Sure lots of the team are probably pretty freeform. But we've seen plenty of evidence that small dedicated teams have been formed for 6 month plus runs (up to a year and half + for the Cmdr Creator, using a very small team). The Planding tech vid suggested a core dedicated team worked on the R&D aspects for a prolonged period. IE the bit where they talk about the 9 month run up, with himself and John exploring options while the Wings launch was going live etc, moving up to 'tens of devs' as they got closer to deployment. (Cute that Ed talks about further feature work in the background as they approached Horizons launch too )

I think on balance the possibility of small dedicated teams beavering away all this time on key aspects of legs, terrains & atmos, or whichever of those are 'closest' to deployment, isn't completely outlandish. If anything, with the move towards more top-loaded 'buy what you see' DLC, I'd say it'd be a necessity.

---

On 2.3, if the tunnels turn out to be just artist designed, then we can presume terrain work didn't have much to do with it. If they're proto caves, with art on top, then it could be overlapping work. Guess we'll see

Originally Posted by Golgot View Post (Source)
    Ultimately we're all guessing here

Sure lots of the team are probably pretty freeform. But we've seen plenty of evidence that small dedicated teams have been formed for 6 month plus runs (up to a year and half + for the Cmdr Creator, using a very small team). The Planding tech vid suggested a core dedicated team worked on the R&D aspects for a prolonged period. IE the bit where they talk about the 9 month run up, with himself and John exploring options while the Wings launch was going live etc, moving up to 'tens of devs' as they got closer to deployment. (Cute that Ed talks about further feature work in the background as they approached Horizons launch too )

I think on balance the possibility of small dedicated teams beavering away all this time on key aspects of legs, terrains & atmos, or whichever of those are 'closest' to deployment, isn't completely outlandish. If anything, with the move towards more top-loaded 'buy what you see' DLC, I'd say it'd be a necessity.

---

On 2.3, if the tunnels turn out to be just artist designed, then we can presume terrain work didn't have much to do with it. If they're proto caves, with art on top, then it could be overlapping work. Guess we'll see
    Judging by the weekly updates from SC, this is how it is done; it's just a matter of scale. Individual teams work at the key features, then they test how well they would interact with the main game. But for all the razamataz associated with the enormous teams that appear to be associated with SC, they aren't exactly a truly long way forward with their game, are they? In fact, as has been said before, where is the game?

Sometimes, small groups working well together can be much more efficient, and I do believe FD can demonstrate this. The game to date (OK it needs improving) and Planet Coaster are good examples of this maxim.

They may have had a planetary development team working for years. Many things may have been prototyped, lots of development gone on, and ultimately come to naught. So from one perspective the impression we've got previously, that they are looking at atmospheric planets might be right, and from another, the impression Sandro gave of little concrete work having been done, also be 'right'. Remember that nice video of DBOBE showing procedurally generated clouds in the Kickstarter? What happened to them? Or the nice orrery map mock-ups in the beta? Or the heads-down docking assist concept for the T9? Lot's of work may be going on, but until something is actually in-game and operation, Frontier seem very reluctant to show things these days. Probably because it elevates expectations in people like me who then beat them over the head when it doesn't pan out (it's a failing I know ).

And whilst Obsidian's video makes the distinction between 'Earth-like' and 'Atmospheric-world', which I'll admit, I hadn't thought of, that sounds somewhat like overly optimistic hair-splitting to me.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546