Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: My visit to Frontier Developments and the Future of the Game

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Did you get to meet the Queen of Minions Herself ?
    I would so love to meet MoM.....her work is *amazing*!

Thank you, Obsidian Ant, for the great post, videos and in general, everything you do for the Community.

That is all well and good; I don't doubt FD's passion and commitment to the game. I do have an issue with the lack of communications which had been next to nonexistent as well as the difficulty for players to access already developed, placeholder content such as the Alien cutscenes.

Yes, I'm one of those "never got hyperdicted" individuals, who for the past two evenings spent 6-8 hours with nothing to show for at the same Barnacle site in the Pleiades sector you've shown in your YT video. There were some players there in Open who spent 30+ hours camping at the site without success. Seriously, every 12 hours--as some had reported--is the best they can do with the current build? Even RNG could and should have tunable parameters. What good is all that work they've invested into these assets if only a small fraction of the player base gets to experience them within the actual game???

What I'm asking for should be a simple matter to resolve whether they have 10 or 1,000 developers and artists engaged on the project. Even with the enormous grindfest the game is in its current form, throwing a bone here and there to the player base would go a long way to alleviate some of the current negative sentiment.

Originally Posted by Sterlino View Post (Source)
    so...

since the last 3 pathes were not so awesome, they were ''good'' (for something and for some other things
    not so very well)... do i have the permit to get hyped for the E3 ?
    I thought 2.1 & 2.2 were both awesome, & 2.3 was great simply for its addition of Follow on missions & a proper piracy AI.

Thanks to each of you reporting on this visit, sounds fun and good things to come.

And I look forward to hearing some of the new voice samples in game!

Sounds like a fun and informative visit, plus there's always the good news that much of our worries about the game's development stem from some questionable dev priorities and a lack of PR rather than actual mismanagement or them exploiting the user base. Let's hope they keep this up and prove the naysayers wrong in the long run!

I suppose the real question now is: Are they working on improving core mechanics now because of our incessant complaining, or were the core mechanics always planned to be shunted back to the end of the season?

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post (Source)

Was more thinking of this:

If I'm bigger than you, then I'm in charge.
    If you are bigger than me, then you're in charge.
    If anything goes wrong, then he's in charge.
    -- credo of the orc marines

Originally Posted by Obsidian Ant View Post (Source)
    The content we got to see was very impressive, and I think people are going to like it a lot. Most of what we saw, people will probably get to see from Frontier at E3.
    Good to have confirmation from an independent source as respected as yourself, that there is new content on the way worth getting excited about. Thanks for the write up

Octavian Vanguard - Aggressively Furthering Imperial Interests

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Oh, Gods. That was...not a very good film...

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

Originally Posted by Dialectic View Post (Source)
    Very cool that you got to see stuff on the inside. I'm curious though, a huge team working on the game, "huge", and it took 3 years to add simple things like ship naming? And multicrew? I mean, I haven't been around long enough to really understand the long term let down, but just judging what I've seen on here and development history I don't know what to actually expect despite your first hand visit with vague description.

Why don't they actually have PR? Why the lack of info? There's not that much competition.

Ehh... I don't really want to be negative Nancy here. Just offering my impression of your post: while very cool and interesting, still only a "meh" to me
    I'll give an example. During Season 1, this team gave us wings, community goals, extra ships and such, plus a lot of minor improvements. Still, not a lot for 100 man you might say. That is because during S1 a significant part of the team worked on the planetary landings for S2. Same here, already over a year ago FD confirmed they had teams working on non-S2 things such as atmo planets.

As for the silence, with large goals its very hard to predict what will happen. And sci-fi gamers in particular have a tendency to go berserk when something doesnt go the way they expected. So they've opted for a 'promise nothing whatsoever' approach.

Ceterum censeo Pythem esse nerfam

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    Oh, Gods. That was...not a very good film...
    in fact, it was a masterpiece... (at least for me)

..and i hate the recent remake instead.
    (tastes, i guess).

Mr. Ant (and anyone else who was there), please tell me: On a scale between 0 and 10. How excited are you personally about the stuff under NDA?

Originally Posted by Sterlino View Post (Source)
    in fact, it was a masterpiece... (at least for me)

..and i hate the recent remake instead.
    (tastes, i guess).
    The original West World was a masterpiece, but Future World really, really wasn't

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

Great read and video- only wish the video contained some (spoiler-free of course) footage of their offices...!

I've used to do IT support for various companies around the Science Park and went passed the Frontier offices countless times, so I knew exactly the sort of size the Frontier offices were likely to be, but interesting to have Obsidian to confirm the likely figures of how many people are working on ED. How lucky to actually get to go and see the it all though... wow.

And it's good to hear Obsidian asked and got answers to some fundamental community questions- well done.

Volunteer Moderator
    International Moderator
    Originally Posted by Obsidian Ant View Post (Source)
    I just posted a video about this, but not everyone watches those - so I thought I would post here as well. Earlier this week I got invited to the Frontier offices along with a few others - it was a bit of a surprise, but Frontier wanted us to come along and record a couple of lines of dialogue for them to use in-game. Kinda like little cameo things. All pretty exciting stuff! Whilst there though, we were lucky enough to get a tour of the offices, and got to saw a bunch of upcoming content - mostly 2.4 related. I'm not allowed to talk about what we saw, as it is covered by NDA, but I do want to talk about my impressions of Frontier and what is going on with the game.

So - the offices are really big, that was the first thing that hit me. The second thing was all the Elite Dangerous memorabilia everywhere, from ship models to cushions to wall hangings of posters (to big to fit in even the largest room of my house). There was also stuff from other Frontier games. Those guys certainly love the projects they work on, and are very proud of them!

It's often questioned how many people work on Elite, well there were two full open plan offices - and it appeared a huge amount of the staff were dedicated to working on Elite. Numbers for Elite were easily in the region of 100+. The content we got to see was very impressive, and I think people are going to like it a lot. Most of what we saw, people will probably get to see from Frontier at E3.

There's been some worry that 2.4 is going to be a small patch, I think that concern came from the announcement that 2.4 is going to be released in sections. From what I saw, it appeared that 2.4 is going to be at least as big as all the other patches, and it certainly isn't the end of the main development of the game.

Another thing that I know has been concerning people is Frontier's talk about working on the "core mechanics" of the game after 2.4. Some people feel this means the game is going into maintenance mode with Frontier simply working on bug fixes and minor changes. We got the chance to ask for clarification on this - and the "core mechanic" changes actually means that Frontier are going to flesh out existing game mechanics and give the developers the opportunity to bring these aspects of the game inline with the original concepts as well as to perhaps add further enhancements where they can. So it seems that this is going to be big deal stuff, rather than just small tweaks.

Another thing I've seen people wonder about, is whether or not there will be new features in the future updates. Good news is that there will still be new content added to the game along with new headline features. However Frontier are not willing to talk about what that stuff is just yet.

We still don't know what the new sales model for the game will be. Frontier aren't talking on that one - but it won't be a season pass.

Bottom line; there is a huge team working on the game. Frontier are committed to the game's future, and are not winding the project down in any way, shape or form. They are aware that the game isn't perfect, and there is a strong desire within the team to add new depth to the game, and improve upon existing mechanics. What this ultimately means for the gameplay I don't know, but whatever the case - things are not going to remain static, and improvements are coming.

So, yeah - it's not as bleak as people have been imagining that's for sure. A lot of good stuff on the way.

Here's the video for anyone that wants to watch it:

https://youtu.be/OU9-PmZkoDo

Just wanted to add, what a great bunch people people work at Frontier! Very passionate about the game, and extremely friendly! It was nice to meet everyone, Ed, Zac, Sandro, Jonny, David, David, Sally and so many others.
    Thank you for the feedback, mate. With your permission, I'm translating this to post it in the Spanish subforum.

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    The original West World was a masterpiece, but Future World really, really wasn't
    we are completely O.T. but i can't resist to answer here: i was talking about the original future world movie of the 1973
    what you mean with ''the original west world'' ?? for what i know there was the movie and then the HBO created the 2016 serial
    based on that, named ''west world''.
    may i wrong something ?

edit now: i watched wikipedia... yes i was wrong.

i meant ''west world'' of the 1973 ... that movie was a masterpiece.
    i didn't know there was a sequel in the 1976 though., named ''future world''.

my bad, sorry

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast