Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: My visit to Frontier Developments and the Future of the Game

Originally Posted by Sterlino View Post (Source)
    we are completely O.T. but i can't resist to answer here: i was talking about the original future world movie of the 1973
    what you mean with ''the original west world'' ?? for what i know there was the movie and then the HBO created the 2016 serial
    based on that, named ''west world''.
    may i wrong something ?
    Nope, you're right, but I was counting the new series as being the 'new' West World (although I've not seen it). I personally didn't rate the '73 Future World much, but each to their own

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

Excellent news! Thank you very much and thanks to FD too.

I'm off to dismantle my pitchfork and pack it away.

Originally Posted by Knightshark View Post (Source)
    Mr. Ant, please tell me: On a scale between 0 and 10. How excited are you personally about the stuff under NDA?
    I can't answer for him but for me with an utter 10. Even taking just the QoL stuff.

Also. We were encouraged to raise points and difficult questions about many subjects. There was no hiding. Standing behind the missions chap and pointedly asking 'so, massacre missions then.....?' then seeing what is going in to researching the problem and planning the fix makes you able to visualise the complexity of how things are intertwined but also that they really work hard to sort these problems.

Or chatting with Dav about large instances and how they work/where the load is and why you get rubberbanding. There was nowhere to hide and there was no spin or bs put on the answers. They were at their own pc's and properly on the spot.

We did our best to help make things better ;-)

Originally Posted by Vingtetun View Post (Source)
    I can't answer for him but for me with an utter 10. Even taking just the QoL stuff.

Also. We were encouraged to raise points and difficult questions about many subjects. There was no hiding. Standing behind the missions chap and pointedly asking 'so, massacre missions then.....?' then seeing what is going in to researching the problem and planning the fix makes you able to visualise the complexity of how things are intertwined but also that they really work hard to sort these problems.

Or chatting with Dav about large instances and how they work/where the load is and why you get rubberbanding. There was nowhere to hide and there was no spin or bs put on the answers. They were at their own pc's and properly on the spot.

Cool, thank you! Or course, my question was directed at anyone who was there.

...isn't sure what's going on.
    You may have been......

Did you skip page 2?
    Was also there with him - including in the audio booth doing some sound recordings (second time now - first was whilst recording Echoes from the Hold with him and others). Phenomenal to see all of the team there and meet every single crew from the marketing team to community, QA, sound, gameplay, servers and missions. They really do give a monkeys about the game and are working very hard indeed on both content and the promised QoL items.

Thanks again to the team there for the invitation and the opportunity to pose a number of very serious questions and suggestions on behalf of the wider community (not just the Hutton Truckers).

Obviously, there was signing of the NDA kind regarding WHAT was seen, but there are a few things I can say that won't get me into trouble - this is a copy of the notes that I posted for the Hutton Orbital team upon my return:
    "I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos." - Albert Einstein, on the randomness of quantum mechanics

Elite Dangerous Lead Designer's most recent games:
    Kinect Star Wars (2012) (Senior Designer)
    Haze (2008) (Lead Designer)

Originally Posted by SciTrekker View Post (Source)
    Did you skip page 2?
    No? (But i indeed missed that post!)

Originally Posted by Obsidian Ant View Post (Source)
    <snip> it appeared a huge amount of the staff were dedicated to working on Elite.</snip>
    Does that include any Imperial Slaves?
    "I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos." - Albert Einstein, on the randomness of quantum mechanics

Elite Dangerous Lead Designer's most recent games:
    Kinect Star Wars (2012) (Senior Designer)
    Haze (2008) (Lead Designer)

I see people complaining about the game and saying it's abandoned but isn't this Mr.Braben's dream game? I don't think he'd make the game he wanted to make for years only to leave it to the flies. I'm glad that FD clarified some things and I look forward to 2.4 and the new expansion.

This is all good news, and it's an excellent 'recovery' for FD in the arena of public relations, and it appears to be very well received.
    But FD would do even better if this were looked upon as a dress rehearsal for .......

Visit #2 which is a video presentation, to show us FD staff at work (you know, so we can see the hundred or so staff at work) with questions and answers recorded. Then we can all hear the answers, rather than everyone saying "wonderful things coming, but we can't talk about them !" Also, an interview with SJA would be well received, I am sure

FD would have the opportunity to edit the video before public release, of course, but it would truly further strengthen the connection between FD and its players.

10/10 for me too then

Definitely the best and the most impressive stuff I've seen in ED so far

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    One of the greatest movies made in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Obsidian Ant View Post (Source)
    I just posted a video about this, but not everyone watches those - so I thought I would post here as well. Earlier this week I got invited to the Frontier offices along with a few others - it was a bit of a surprise, but Frontier wanted us to come along and record a couple of lines of dialogue for them to use in-game. Kinda like little cameo things. All pretty exciting stuff! Whilst there though, we were lucky enough to get a tour of the offices, and got to saw a bunch of upcoming content - mostly 2.4 related. I'm not allowed to talk about what we saw, as it is covered by NDA, but I do want to talk about my impressions of Frontier and what is going on with the game.

So - the offices are really big, that was the first thing that hit me. The second thing was all the Elite Dangerous memorabilia everywhere, from ship models to cushions to wall hangings of posters (to big to fit in even the largest room of my house). There was also stuff from other Frontier games. Those guys certainly love the projects they work on, and are very proud of them!

It's often questioned how many people work on Elite, well there were two full open plan offices - and it appeared a huge amount of the staff were dedicated to working on Elite. Numbers for Elite were easily in the region of 100+. The content we got to see was very impressive, and I think people are going to like it a lot. Most of what we saw, people will probably get to see from Frontier at E3.

There's been some worry that 2.4 is going to be a small patch, I think that concern came from the announcement that 2.4 is going to be released in sections. From what I saw, it appeared that 2.4 is going to be at least as big as all the other patches, and it certainly isn't the end of the main development of the game.

Another thing that I know has been concerning people is Frontier's talk about working on the "core mechanics" of the game after 2.4. Some people feel this means the game is going into maintenance mode with Frontier simply working on bug fixes and minor changes. We got the chance to ask for clarification on this - and the "core mechanic" changes actually means that Frontier are going to flesh out existing game mechanics and give the developers the opportunity to bring these aspects of the game inline with the original concepts as well as to perhaps add further enhancements where they can. So it seems that this is going to be big deal stuff, rather than just small tweaks.

Another thing I've seen people wonder about, is whether or not there will be new features in the future updates. Good news is that there will still be new content added to the game along with new headline features. However Frontier are not willing to talk about what that stuff is just yet.

We still don't know what the new sales model for the game will be. Frontier aren't talking on that one - but it won't be a season pass.

Bottom line; there is a huge team working on the game. Frontier are committed to the game's future, and are not winding the project down in any way, shape or form. They are aware that the game isn't perfect, and there is a strong desire within the team to add new depth to the game, and improve upon existing mechanics. What this ultimately means for the gameplay I don't know, but whatever the case - things are not going to remain static, and improvements are coming.

So, yeah - it's not as bleak as people have been imagining that's for sure. A lot of good stuff on the way.

Here's the video for anyone that wants to watch it:

https://youtu.be/OU9-PmZkoDo

Just wanted to add, what a great bunch people people work at Frontier! Very passionate about the game, and extremely friendly! It was nice to meet everyone, Ed, Zac, Sandro, Jonny, David, David, Sally and so many others.
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us Mr. Ant!

I would love to have been there - sounds like a great time!!!

May I quote myself from a month ago:

I still wonder why you (ObsidianAnt) are still not a member of FD´s customer relationship management. You are able to sum things up, gather the information you need, and develop an almost neutral view to the needs and problems of the community. You should be able to squeeze out relevant information out of FD and bring it back to "us" - as a new layer between Ed/Sandro etc.
    (Source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5506150 )

And I have to say: Events like that, 3 times a year and most of the community will be convinced that everything is ok with this game. A big thanks to Frontier and Obsidian for clearing up a few things for us. Highly appreciated.

Neues deutsches Forum: www.elite-commanders.de
    Mark Allen: "While it's true that the PvP crowd do tend to be more vocal and in previous betas have given more organised feedback, we're well aware that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP." (22nd of Nov, 2016)

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast