Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: My visit to Frontier Developments and the Future of the Game

Yes I remember when I visited Frontier earlier in the year my first impressions of course were the size of the offices but the lingering memory is just how friendly and nice everyone was. Also saw some content that isn't even out yet
    Zac gave me a great tour of the Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster offices and it was all very impressive.

Meeting Zac, Ed, Michael Brookes (good convo with him) and David Braben amongst others was brilliant.

You can certainly sense the passion for the game when you walk around.

Any word at all if the LEP be honoured even though the season model is being dropped? And were there an unhealthy number of biscuits scattered everywhere. ?

Flimley

I was also there and I fully support and share OA's sentiment and interpretation. Not much to add really, fun day and a massive surprise. It was great to see and feel the dedication from these guys - and yes, feel, because the passion is certainly in the air and one could easily tell that all the people we got to meet, see and talk to were genuinely hyped and passionate about the games they are making. That goes for both Elite and Planet Coaster. Awesome stuff.

I personally had recently some doubts about the game, mainly due to slow pace of the main storyline, but that recent visit to FDEV's reassured me there is really nothing to worry about and 2.4 will be awesome patch. The gradual release is due to the nature of it's contents rather than the lack of it.

I can't wait for the E3 streams to hear more about what's coming!

Yay new content.

Space legs INCOMING!

Was also there with him - including in the audio booth doing some sound recordings (second time now - first was whilst recording Echoes from the Hold with him and others). Phenomenal to see all of the team there and meet every single crew from the marketing team to community, QA, sound, gameplay, servers and missions. They really do give a monkeys about the game and are working very hard indeed on both content and the promised QoL items.

Thanks again to the team there for the invitation and the opportunity to pose a number of very serious questions and suggestions on behalf of the wider community (not just the Hutton Truckers).

Obviously, there was signing of the NDA kind regarding WHAT was seen, but there are a few things I can say that won't get me into trouble - this is a copy of the notes that I posted for the Hutton Orbital team upon my return:

Just returned from an impromptu visit to Frontier. The main purpose was to do a few little audio bits with the sound team and a special q and a with Ed but..... despite having signed at least 4 NDA and secrecy thingies there is still a little I am allowed to talk about. (Or so The Don confirmed).

Met each and every team there from QA to the service team who look after the tickets to data people and bgs experts to the guys and girls that are working on the missions, store, art, sound, music and core gameplay. The team is as full as it has ever been.

They also live, breathe and love the game as much as Hutton Truckers do. It isn't pr spin.... that office is loaded with crazy enthusiasm. Sandy was wearing his Hutton T-shirt and the poster of Alvin sits at Ed's left shoulder.

DB spent a good time chatting over his vision as well as talking a little about Specialeffect and the Raspberry pi.

Cecil came with me and may have appeared in the audio booth between takes on other audio. As did the Don.

Their sound team appears to be led by the reincarnation of Christopher Reeve. Uncanny.

As for 2.4 and beyond? The comments re quality of life improvements they have made so far are not just window dressing. Every aspect of the game is set to improve piece by piece.
    So. My personal thanks to their team for giving up a little of their time. And Hutton thanks to them for listening. At THEIR request I had the opportunity to raise many of the points dear to our hearts from wish lists to frustrations and clever ideas.... most of which came from you all but some were digested from the forums, discord channels and other outlets. . They were listened to, They were noted, I am sure many were filed away.

They are looking forward to seeing many of you at Lavecon.

Video footage from trailers are ALL taken from within the game engine. Swooping ships and combat etc are all flown by hand by a crack team of devs. There is very little post production on the graphics.

The art and marketing teams say they also rely on the beauty of procedurally generated screenshots for the images they use. They watch posted screenies from players and often wish they had spotted them first.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of lines of station background chatter. Some of the staff there have voice talent to do multiple accents including the team member who sounds like Flossy. That isn't her real accent.... I think she MAY actually be Scottish.

They DO have a matrix like view of the galaxy that shows 'big' data and trends. It is very cool. It has its own caretaker. He isn't called Cypher.

Dav actually manually checks reports to do with the BGS. In game, in his ship. I think he was in a courier when I saw him.

There is an Obsidian Ant fan club there. It was like being at a Beatles concert. There was screaming. Underwear wasn't thrown though.

DB, whilst he has an office in the building with a big throne was working from a small desk alongside his team in the heart of things.

The devs DO log in and play the game for a laugh in their lunchtime.

There are elite dangerous branded cushions on the comfy chairs.

The space loach has friends. They live in a big mating ball on Sandro's desk

Did you get to meet the Queen of Minions Herself ?

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    I personally had recently some doubts about the game, mainly due to slow pace of the main storyline, but that recent visit to FDEV's reassured me there is really nothing to worry about and 2.4 will be awesome patch. The gradual release is due to the nature of it's contents rather than the lack of it.
    That is really​ good to know. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Jex =TE= View Post (Source)
    wow you lot are easilty fooled!

Hasn't anyone checked that the OA that went INTO Fdev is the SAME ONE that came OUT of FDev?

lolol
    Tinfoil alert!!!

Very cool that you got to see stuff on the inside. I'm curious though, a huge team working on the game, "huge", and it took 3 years to add simple things like ship naming? And multicrew? I mean, I haven't been around long enough to really understand the long term let down, but just judging what I've seen on here and development history I don't know what to actually expect despite your first hand visit with vague description.

Why don't they actually have PR? Why the lack of info? There's not that much competition.

Ehh... I don't really want to be negative Nancy here. Just offering my impression of your post: while very cool and interesting, still only a "meh" to me

Originally Posted by Vorxian View Post (Source)
    Yay new content.

Space legs INCOMING!
    Nah, it's a phased rollout - Space Hips INCOMING!

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Did you get to meet the Queen of Minions Herself ?
    Yes - have met SJA a few times before at various events and MoM made a point of coming over to say hi during the visit. She may have been chuckling with evil glee at her latest work and rubbing her hands together in anticipation of unleashing it. Or that may have been my imagination.

Oh - and trust me on the QoL stuff - it's coming, not all at once, but it's coming and it covers absolutely every aspect of the game. No total rewrites, but MANY improvements.

Originally Posted by Dialectic View Post (Source)
    Very cool that you got to see stuff on the inside. I'm curious though, a huge team working on the game, "huge", and it took 3 years to add simple things like ship naming? And multicrew? I mean, I haven't been around long enough to really understand the long term let down, but just judging what I've seen on here and development history I don't know what to actually expect despite your first hand visit with vague description.

Why don't they actually have PR? Why the lack of info? There's not that much competition.

Ehh... I don't really want to be negative Nancy here. Just offering my impression of your post: while very cool and interesting, still only a "meh" to me
    Priorities really - there is a big team there, but other things were more important - if you wanted proof that they weren't all about grabbing the money - name plates were low hanging fruit to get people to spend cash, but it just wasn't bubbling up to the top! it gone done when it got done and that's all there is to it.

They do have a PR team - with funky hair. Oh and said PR team have a THOROUGH understanding of the history of the game from back in the day to now. A very deep understanding of the history, lore, direction and ongoing development. The PR team are really focused on industry and media relations though with the Zac/Ed/Community team looking after all of us grubby lot.

Originally Posted by Obsidian Ant View Post (Source)
    well there were two full open plan offices - and it appeared a huge amount of the staff were dedicated to working on Elite
    so the old cardboard employee trick is still working?

(i never understood this worry about big team sizes anyway, here on the forum and in general. in my experience big teams are crap, the smaller the better in all aspects: quality, efficiency, focus and joy. beyond 5 people you need to start adding people that is actually counterproductive. it's a totally different animal devoted to the depraved gods of scale. and the sheer noise ...)

anyway seems you had fun, i would have gladly come too. did they hand out any chocolate sidewinders?

Originally Posted by zn˘rt View Post (Source)
    did they hand out any chocolate sidewinders?
    No, but we've had some Fujin Tea

Originally Posted by Vingtetun View Post (Source)
    Yes - have met SJA a few times before at various events and MoM made a point of coming over to say hi during the visit. She may have been chuckling with evil glee at her latest work and rubbing her hands together in anticipation of unleashing it. Or that may have been my imagination.

Oh - and trust me on the QoL stuff - it's coming, not all at once, but it's coming and it covers absolutely every aspect of the game. No total rewrites, but MANY improvements.
    Hee hee ! I like it

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast