Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: My visit to Frontier Developments and the Future of the Game

Originally Posted by Quester91 View Post (Source)
    A: "It seems like the community has lost all faith in us, we have nothing to show, player count is at the lowest it's ever been and players don't believe in our product anymore"
    B: "Have you tried making a public statement with lots of soon™ and vague statements?"
    A: "Yes, didn't work"
    B: "Hmm, who was that obsidian bee with lots of subscribers on yt? Maybe we can invite him in our hq, people trust that guy"
    A: "You mean Obsidian ant? That's a wonderful idea!"
    B: "Remember to take out of the boxes all those memorabilia and hang them on the wall so we make a good impression"
    A: "Awesome! What about letting him see some of the stuff we're working on?"
    B: "Sure, we can play some nice cutscenes and scripted events on our pc at the office while he'll be here"
    A: "What about some gameplay?"
    B: "What's that? The thing players interact with the game? We don't believe in that, that's rubbish"

--- A few days later ---

A: "Hey, here comes obsidian. Hey ant, welcome to Cambridge, we're huge fans of yours"
    OA: "Hello guys and girls, I'm obsidian ant and today I want to discuss about the future of Elite"
    A: "Yes, the future is exciting! Here are some nice scripted cutscene, core overhauls will come in the future soon™. And here are some puffy ED cushions"
    OA: "This is very exciting indeed"
    A: "Remember to tell your subscribers we love the game, as you can see by these brand cushions we truly believe in it. Ah, also remember to tell them ED will become the game of their dreams, no ETA, no guarantees though."
    OA: "Ok, see you guys and girls next time".
    Hehe "guys and girls"

A: "It seems like the community has lost all faith in us, we have nothing to show, player count is at the lowest it's ever been and players don't believe in our product anymore"
    B: "Have you tried making a public statement with lots of soon™ and vague statements?"
    B: "Hmm, who was that obsidian bee with lots of subscribers on yt? Maybe we can invite him in our hq, people trust that guy"
    B: "Remember to take out of the boxes all those memorabilia and hang them on the wall so we make a good impression"
    B: "Sure, we can play some nice cutscenes and scripted events on our pc at the office while he'll be here"
    B: "What's that? The thing players interact with the game? We don't believe in that, that's rubbish"

--- A few days later ---

A: "Hey, here comes obsidian. Hey ant, welcome to Cambridge, we're huge fans of yours"
    OA: "Hello guys and girls, I'm obsidian ant and today I want to discuss about the future of Elite"
    A: "Yes, the future is exciting! Here are some nice scripted cutscene, core overhauls will come in the future soon™. And here are some puffy ED cushions"
    A: "Remember to tell your subscribers we love the game, as you can see by these brand cushions we truly believe in it. Ah, also remember to tell them ED will become the game of their dreams, no ETA, no guarantees though."
    LOL! Cue X-Files music

Originally Posted by CMDR Minion Blob View Post (Source)
    Thank you, Obsidian Ant, for the great post, videos and in general, everything you do for the Community.

I do have an issue with the lack of communications which had been next to nonexistent as well as the difficulty for players to access already developed, placeholder content such as the Alien cutscenes.

Yes, I'm one of those "never got hyperdicted" individuals, .
    Same here.
    Even lowered myself to going Open to see if that worked. After 20 mins of chat and collab p2p in vain, the inevitable greifer turns up and kills us.

Which is my second point of contention with Frontier. I love this game and can't wait for the improvements, but the huge gaps in my play time at the moment (and Frontier if you are reading please don't send me any more 'come back to ED emails', I never left: just sort these out!) are due to:

1. aliens that I can never see outside YouTube despite game hours of trying
    2. greifers in open (my request to mobius waits in the q)

--- A few days later ---

Damit, that was meant to all be NDA.

Originally Posted by Johaunna View Post (Source)
    It is really useless to try to reassure the community in this way. If the game really has a future, they must show us what it is.
    Facts, not bulls.
    "They" never did it your way, or my way nor will ever do. "They" will always go their own route, better get over it.
    And personally, I'm very glad they're not following your route or my route ...

Originally Posted by Punished Mobius View Post (Source)
    Any info on comets?
    You should really get your forum name changed to "Comet Connoisseur".

Originally Posted by Knightshark View Post (Source)
    What time scale are we talking about in your opinion?
    Only Frontier knows the actual answer to that, but if we go by their release schedules as of late for updates, I'd say we are looking at something like this:

- 2.4 released in the Fall, September/October timeframe
    - 3.0 and future content begins in early 2018, probably in the spring time, or a little less than a year from now

Remember, they are going to stretch 2.4 content out as a dripfeed of updates, so expect the 2.4 period to be longer than the usual update period. This most likely means that 2.4 will be a story patch, with various cutscenes spread out leading up to "CLASSIFIED". I'm expecting a war of some kind, given Frontier's combat focus over the course of season 2.

So yeah, the statement that E3 will only provide us with a few details on 2.4 with more coming at some later event pretty much assures that 2.4 is still quite a ways off, and that any actual info on 3.0 and beyond is still a VERY long ways off. Frontier ain't willing to talk yet.

I see a problem here. How can OA speculate accurately w/o violating NDA? If he suddenly stops talking about things mentioned earlier could that be a hint of what's for real? :-)

All I want is mining and exploring to get some love, and perhaps not ALL future updates be so damn combat focused.

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    I am sure a large part of that 93% are "at work" PC's but I still would bet that home-based PC's using Windows is still way higher then anything else.
    I agree, but I'm not sure that relying on one OS to run the world's computers is a good idea. Makes it easier for the hackers

Mining explore and trade. Combat can go f... (ight) itself.

Originally Posted by K M Butler View Post (Source)
    I see a problem here. How can OA speculate accurately w/o violating NDA? If he suddenly stops talking about things mentioned earlier could that be a hint of what's for real? :-)
    As no-one said anything other than there's new stuff coming and it's great, I think the NDAs are safe.

Originally Posted by mikelowndes View Post (Source)
    Same here.
    Even lowered myself to going Open to see if that worked. After 20 mins of chat and collab p2p in vain, the inevitable greifer turns up and kills us.

Which is my second point of contention with Frontier. I love this game and can't wait for the improvements, but the huge gaps in my play time at the moment (and Frontier if you are reading please don't send me any more 'come back to ED emails', I never left: just sort these out!) are due to:

1. aliens that I can never see outside YouTube despite game hours of trying
    2. greifers in open (my request to mobius waits in the q)
    I've given up trying to have an alien encounter myself, life's too short. I do hope that when 'they' eventually appear, en masse, that they come big time, no more of this fiddly little RND crap. I'd like to see whole key systems obliterated, stations burning, factions wiped out, rip up the bubble, give us something to push against or run from.

Back on topic... thanks OA, good to know that FD appear to be still wanting to push the game forward, i'll be waiting for the announcements from E3, they really need to bring something to the party, Season 2 has dragged on way too long, if they had released this all within 1 year it would have been fantastic, but over 2 years (+?) it's getting a bit stale now.

Originally Posted by Shanaeri View Post (Source)
    d a long conversation with zac and sandro about exploiters and griefers.
    I had a convo like this with Support, but they had no immediate solution. Just something along the likes of 'it would need very careful planning and testing' Did you hear anything new? Especially regards griefers.

Originally Posted by SnowyNI View Post (Source)
    Was all the players invited or just a select few of the more... Knightly types? It's just like ingame where some gets hand held and butlered too. You all must be pvpers?
    I was invited(and attended with OA and co) and I wouldn't describe myself as a white knight or frontier stooge. I just reported what I saw and because I regard integrity above all else will not be breaking my word or my NDA to reveal more than what i'm allowed to.

Do I think 2.4 is worth the wait.. Yes I do. Now ofc there will always be whingers, but all I can say is that from what we were shown, what we discussed and the direction of travel it's clear Fdev have taken the criticisms on board and are actively working on addressing many of them. A lot of focus has gone on removing a lot of the RNG in gameplay, which to me is a good step forward. Early days OFC but the direction of travel is towards more causation and less RNG.

We didn't receive any goodies from Fdev, save a couple of lanyards which almost had to be prised from the hand of the receptionist and neither were we told we had to filter everything through rose tinted kool aid glasses.

I did consider that perhaps everyone was told to be on their best behaviour, to only show certain things and stop working on stuff that wasn't ready yet or stuff that we weren't supposed to see. But I don't think that was the case. Why do I think that?

Well for a start it's really hard to hide a bad atmosphere from people, particularly someone like me who IRL has had too many years than I care to remember going into companies to try to find the skeletons in the cupboard. In short.. I don't miss much.

So while lots of people were looking at screens and whiteboards I was also observing the interactions between developers, body language, typing rate etc etc. So while it wasn't perfect(nothing is) I could tell that the developers are busy, there is great interaction between them and that the atmosphere is very cordial and collaborative. From a professional point of view there was room for stuff to be improved(there always is), but it was all pretty minor and nothing I would report back publically or even to the developers themselves unless asked for specifically by senior management and in private.

All I can say is that our lifetime passes, season passes and the money we spend are being well used with little waste.

Secondly telling 100+ people to stop what they are doing and do something else is actually really disruptive just for the sake of a few NDA'd people. It's also really expensive as in effect you'd lose around 100 man days of work when every single man day is expensive and delays releases. so TLDR it's not worth the effort of trying to hide stuff.

Someone mentioned about PC's. It was interesting to note that many of the PC's have UPS's directly attached meaning either the cleaners are unreliable and cant be trusted not to unplug stuff after hours, or that they take the work they do seriously and don't want to risk downtime due to data corruption. A lot of the PC's were not what would call super top end, which I thought was encouraging as it means they are coding for the lower/medium end and not assuming everyone has £3000 gaming rig.

I did have a long and a little intense conversation with Zac and others regarding exploiters and griefers and while what the precise reply was, was covered by NDA I left assured that they are very much aware of the issues, do take action and that measures being developed right now should deal with the majority of issues.

I'm sorry if people take the view that we are all Fdev stooges, but all I can say is that we are saying as much as we can without breaking NDA and our personal integrity which to me anyway is more important than any forum reputation

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    I do need a citation, yes. Because I think that there may well not be a common consensus on what constitutes 'engaging' in a game. And I certainly don't think that Elite lacks it to the degree that a few here seem to think it does (or, at times, seemingly want it to lack it).

I think there are a few posters here that simply don't like the game that Elite is. Which is fine.
    I think they have fallen out of love with the game. Which is fine.
    But there's a subset of those that seem to just want to post a stream of constant negativity, for reasons I don't understand. More, they seem to want to make other people not like the game either. Which, quite frankly, is just pathetic.

I'm starting to think you are one of those. I'd love to be proved wrong.

If you really don't have any faith in the way the game is going then remove it from your life. Seriously. Go play something you actually like, if you can find something, because life's too short to devote this amount of time and effort on disliking something you don't have to interact with if you choose not to.

But for the love of the Gods, stop whining.
    Agreed. I like supercruise myself, never found it boring and find flying my ships engaging all the time. Cruising past planets is superb, especially in VR.

Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast