Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 97103104105106107
Results 1,591 to 1,593 of 1593

Thread: Why PvP is not popular in Elite Dangerous?

Originally Posted by Truesilver View Post (Source)
    So basically what I'm saying is, "Right direction imo but in order to level the playing field more between PvE and PvP builds and/or to reduce PvP TTK we would need to go further."
    Indeed, there are other factors that could also be addressed such as the relative effectiveness of various weapons but I would say the problem is less about reducing TTK per se but making TTK across the board more balanced.

If I had my way, with no other changes, I would probably consider having shields hard capped at "~1.5k with Bi-Weave regen and nominal resistances" and balance the top end shields around that. Hull is a bit more complex, but I would probably also reduce heat dissipation rates in some way proportional to percentage hull increases above a certain level - as well as making the hulls above said level more brittle/susceptible to damage.

However, FD have already tried to go down that road (or something similar) and encountered resistance from certain vocal quarters of the ED community. *shrug*

Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    However, FD have already tried to go down that road (or something similar) and encountered resistance from certain vocal quarters of the ED community. *shrug*
    Yep although (for some reason not widely known, it seems) we do know from Sandro what's coming (Livestream):

- No direct nerf to shields or boosters
    - No undermining of players prior work
    - Hence diminishing returns or any other form of direct nerf to the booster-stacked builds that customers built unlikely

But as we go through ED's 3.x series:

- Development of new weapons and specials that directly harm shields/boosters and/or by-pass
    - Leading to a meta that is somewhat less base-shield orientated and consistent with FDev's objective of
    - Greater parity between hull and shield PvP

This of course neatly sidesteps the two objections of the primarily PvE objectors to 2.2.3 and 2.3 Betas:

- I ground for my build
    - I will be too vulnerable to massed NPC's

... because of course basically nothing changes in either respect.

I super-welcome all of the above and have been asking for the ability to attack boosters directly since Summer of 2016.

However, without major other changes to NPC's, it does seem to me that all of the above will either only be relevant to PvP, or insofar as relevant to PvE simply increase the Cmdr>NPC advantage yet further.

Originally Posted by Truesilver View Post (Source)
    Yep although (for some reason not widely known, it seems) we do know from Sandro what's coming (Livestream):

- No direct nerf to shields or boosters
    - No undermining of players prior work
    - Hence diminishing returns or any other form of direct nerf to the booster-stacked builds that customers built unlikely

But as we go through ED's 3.x series:

- Development of new weapons and specials that directly harm shields/boosters and/or by-pass
    - Leading to a meta that is somewhat less base-shield orientated and consistent with FDev's objective of
    - Greater parity between hull and shield PvP

This of course neatly sidesteps the two objections of the primarily PvE objectors to 2.2.3 and 2.3 Betas:

- I ground for my build
    - I will be too vulnerable to massed NPC's

... because of course basically nothing changes in either respect.

I super-welcome all of the above and have been asking for the ability to attack boosters directly since Summer of 2016.

However, without major other changes to NPC's, it does seem to me that all of the above will either only be relevant to PvP, or insofar as relevant to PvE simply increase the Cmdr>NPC advantage yet further.
    I'm very unhappy about the changes. By adding more shield bypassing instead of nerfing shields, the devs are saying "Yeah we completely broke the shield mechanics so we're just going to throw the whole thing away instead of fixing it because fixing it would upset some people." It's a terrible design strategy and it doesn't even accomplish it's goal of not nerfing players equipment, as if everyone is able to shoot through your shields they are actually less useful than if fdev had just nerfed all shield booster blueprints to only provide 35% total shield boost each with max engineering or 10% resistance. It is so much harder if not impossible to balance shields against a weapon that ignores or bypasses them. Either the weapon will have too many negative side effects to be worthwhile, or it won't have enough and will make shields next to useless in pvp. Moreover, if you DO find some way to balance it, the resulting meta will be very boring and un fun for both sides, as 90% of the battle will come down to the player's builds.

Sometimes you ave to break a few eggs to make an omelet, and sometimes you have to nerf some gear to balance a game. I understand why fdev don't want to go this route, as it's never fun to have to be the "bad guy" for the greater good of the game, especially when the reason you have to nerf is because you messed up in such an idiotic fashion as allowing players to more than quadruple their shield strength with very little side effects.