Page 63 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 945 of 1151

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Dangerous 2.4 - The Return

  1. #931
    I don't have the time to read the entire thread so what I'm about to propose may not be new.

    Proposal:
    Why don't we have FD make the game a LOT more interesting. No insurance claims on any ship lost to action by the Thargoids.

    Anyone interested? I think the actual loss of an expensive ship might be a very sobering influence on the game. Maybe commanders would not be so quick to risk.

  2. #932
    Originally Posted by MAAD DAWG View Post (Source)
    I don't have the time to read the entire thread so what I'm about to propose may not be new.

    Proposal:
    Why don't we have FD make the game a LOT more interesting. No insurance claims on any ship lost to action by the Thargoids.

    Anyone interested? I think the actual loss of an expensive ship might be a very sobering influence on the game. Maybe commanders would not be so quick to risk.
    Would make no Sense.

    I would Support.
    No Insurance for Conflict Zones. Because well why would an Insurance Company Pay for your Ship if you go to War with it ????
    No Insurance if your Wanted. Because Insurance wont cover Criminal Activities.
    Reduced Insurance to 80% if your the one who Initiates the Fight. Because the Insurance does not Cover you Fully when you risk the Ship on purpose.


    But Thargoids are pretty much in perfect line with what the Insurance is meant for lol.
    So why would it not Cover these losses of all things ?
    Support Software for our Ship Computers. Stop the 2 Ton heavy WW2 Computers.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...d-Module-Slots

  3. #933
    Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    Ok, a quick follow up to this issue - I already had a key mapped to the ED "reset orientation" but if I use it, it screws up the VR positioning in any companion VR apps until ED is terminated.
    You can try reset seating position from inside steam settings (available in HMD). That said, I had no problems putting the headset down, then getting it back on and resetting prior to 2.3.10. There are cases of VR compositor crashing, you can re-run it from steamvr, but usually the crash makes the camera get fixed in a weird position thinking its the center. I often found myself above my ship trying to figure out which menu item vieved from a 15 degrees parallel angle is the Save And Exit ;-)

    Originally Posted by MAAD DAWG View Post (Source)
    Proposal: Why don't we have FD make the game a LOT more interesting. No insurance claims on any ship lost to action by the Thargoids.
    I think it shouldn't work that way, after all that's what insurance is for. However every insurance has exclusion clauses for "forces of nature" and such crap, limiting their liability ;-) Also as Sunleader noted, no insurance on criminal activities would be interesting, provided criminal activities were paying better and had a career path (and lawful activities, too) behind them.

    I would make use of Thargoid disabling tech instead. Disable the offender again then either destroy or simply wake out. Also player could get thargoid "wanted" status, and "enjoy" repeated hyperdictions and getting ganked before we get to have weapons against them.
    * KARMA system, not "SJW-be-good-or-else-system" - make your actions matter as a career path!
    * Invested playtime vs risk imbalance - KARMA proposal

    You can be anything you want in E: D. Murder-hobo or a paladin of virtue. Too bad the available tools for interaction greatly weight towards the "murder-hobo" role.
    The best description of the whole Horizons season I've read to date, by cmdr Kaocraft
    Vive or Rift?

  4. #934
    Originally Posted by MAAD DAWG View Post (Source)
    I don't have the time to read the entire thread so what I'm about to propose may not be new.

    Proposal:
    Why don't we have FD make the game a LOT more interesting. No insurance claims on any ship lost to action by the Thargoids.

    Anyone interested? I think the actual loss of an expensive ship might be a very sobering influence on the game. Maybe commanders would not be so quick to risk.
    This will cause everyone flying in uningineered hauler or dbe in best case.

  5. #935
    Originally Posted by StarLightPL View Post (Source)
    You can try reset seating position from inside steam settings (available in HMD). That said, I had no problems putting the headset down, then getting it back on and resetting prior to 2.3.10. There are cases of VR compositor crashing, you can re-run it from steamvr, but usually the crash makes the camera get fixed in a weird position thinking its the center. I often found myself above my ship trying to figure out which menu item vieved from a 15 degrees parallel angle is the Save And Exit ;-)
    I have never had the compositor crash on me yet, but there is a first time for everything.

    The problem I have noted is firmly an issue with the way ED is interfacing with the VIVE/SteamVR and the problem seems to be largely down to how ED deals with the positional data reported back from the VIVE. The problem only surfaces when I have to step away from VR for an extended period but as the main Steam VR copes with similar circumstances the problem is a blatant ED implementation issue and FD should fix it.

    The VR orientation reset is basically a workaround for their own mistakes in trying to auto-calibrate the VR positioning. I have seen the consequences of this (IMO) mis-placed/mis-guided auto-calibration code when leaning forward in the VR environment. The situation is perhaps less pronounced in 2.3.10 but it has been an issue since at least 2.3 if not 2.2.

  6. #936
    Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    I have never had the compositor crash on me yet, but there is a first time for everything.

    The problem I have noted is firmly an issue with the way ED is interfacing with the VIVE/SteamVR and the problem seems to be largely down to how ED deals with the positional data reported back from the VIVE. The problem only surfaces when I have to step away from VR for an extended period but as the main Steam VR copes with similar circumstances the problem is a blatant ED implementation issue and FD should fix it.

    The VR orientation reset is basically a workaround for their own mistakes in trying to auto-calibrate the VR positioning. I have seen the consequences of this (IMO) mis-placed/mis-guided auto-calibration code when leaning forward in the VR environment. The situation is perhaps less pronounced in 2.3.10 but it has been an issue since at least 2.3 if not 2.2.
    I believe ED is at fault, it simply resets the hmd position whenever the hmd goes into standby or losses tracking.

  7. #937
    Strangely enough; the return of the Thargoids, as scary as it should be; feels more like the return of an old Friend

    I never played First Encounters; I went straight from BBC Elite to Frontier to having to go to university and thus dropping out of gaming. Welcome back you six-legged crazy diamonds!

  8. #938
    Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    I believe ED is at fault, it simply resets the hmd position whenever the hmd goes into standby or losses tracking.
    Technically not the HMD position but ED's interpretation of the HMD position. I have seen the consequences of having my head looking in the wrong direction when ED starts up (although that seems to have improved since at least 2.3.10).

    FD should probably disable ALL automatic resets/calibration and leave it to the player to initiate such things. When setting up a VR environment you should have calibrated it properly anyway thus the VR position should be trusted as being accurate.

    Originally Posted by cochrandm View Post (Source)
    Strangely enough; the return of the Thargoids, as scary as it should be; feels more like the return of an old Friend

    I never played First Encounters; I went straight from BBC Elite to Frontier to having to go to university and thus dropping out of gaming. Welcome back you six-legged crazy diamonds!
    Not diamonds anymore if reports are to be believed

  9. #939
    One hope I have is that we may be able to improve relations with the thargoids. An inter-species alliance would be insane. I would love to get my hands on their equivalent to the corvette.
    Or maybe hybrid ships/weapons...

  10. #940
    Originally Posted by Thasarion View Post (Source)
    One hope I have is that we may be able to improve relations with the thargoids. An inter-species alliance would be insane. I would love to get my hands on their equivalent to the corvette.
    Or maybe hybrid ships/weapons...
    Well there are two Thargoid factions according to the book Premonition and we have only seen one of the factions thus far (if I am to understand things correctly).

  11. #941
    I just hope we have a bit more flexibility in upgrading our ships. It's such a nuisance to having to find everything just to upgrade. What I like to see is stations that have specialist outfitting available where you can purchase class related upgrades.

  12. #942
    I would like to see one more module slot added to all ships, and make it a universal module slot.

  13. #943
    Originally Posted by DarthVain View Post (Source)
    I just hope we have a bit more flexibility in upgrading our ships. It's such a nuisance to having to find everything just to upgrade. What I like to see is stations that have specialist outfitting available where you can purchase class related upgrades.
    It may happen to a limited extent - c/f Corrosion Resistant Cargo Racks and Enhanced Thrusters - but I suspect there will still be a fair amount of mods we will be able to make to existing kit via engineer upgrades.

  14. #944
    Originally Posted by MAAD DAWG View Post (Source)
    I don't have the time to read the entire thread so what I'm about to propose may not be new.

    Proposal:
    Why don't we have FD make the game a LOT more interesting. No insurance claims on any ship lost to action by the Thargoids.

    Anyone interested? I think the actual loss of an expensive ship might be a very sobering influence on the game. Maybe commanders would not be so quick to risk.
    Nope.

    Originally Posted by Sunleader View Post (Source)
    Would make no Sense.

    I would Support.
    No Insurance for Conflict Zones. Because well why would an Insurance Company Pay for your Ship if you go to War with it ????
    No Insurance if your Wanted. Because Insurance wont cover Criminal Activities.
    Reduced Insurance to 80% if your the one who Initiates the Fight. Because the Insurance does not Cover you Fully when you risk the Ship on purpose.


    But Thargoids are pretty much in perfect line with what the Insurance is meant for lol.
    So why would it not Cover these losses of all things ?
    I'm (broadly speaking) in favour of these ideas - except for a reduction in insurance rather than no insurance at all in the first two instances, and drop the insurance for a fight initiator to 50% (or even less) if the victim isn't Wanted. If they are - fair game, normal insurance.

    As for Thargoids, that's exactly what I'm paying insurance for - however I can see the case for the same sort of reductions as above, when travelling through Thargoid controlled systems etc.

  15. #945
    Surely cost of insurance increasing will just discourage new players from getting into the game and seeking out adventure in hostile places. It's fine if you have 4 billion CR in your account but not so if you end up in a basic sidey after the experience.
    Cheers, Albert

Page 63 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5359606162636465666773 ... LastLast