Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really not Enjoying CQC Anymore

I think the traditionally ping times to a server (what server did you ping btw?) is more or less moot in ED. If CQC works similar as the main game then the matchmaker would choose a machine from one of the participants due to certain criteria (speculation: maybe that one with the fastest connection to the central server?) which then would act as local server for this session. You would have to know exactly what machine was chosen, know its IP address and ping this one.

But take this with a pint of salt, I'm no network expert and the whole network structure of Elite is pretty much Voodoo to me. So I have no clue what happens when such a local server suddenly precipitates. Would the next best machine chosen then? And does it really work without any interruption or hickups? Hard to believe... When in doubt, ask Dav. He is a wizard.

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    I think the traditionally ping times to a server (what server did you ping btw?) is more or less moot in ED. If CQC works similar as the main game then the matchmaker would choose a machine from one of the participants due to certain criteria (speculation: maybe that one with the fastest connection to the central server?) which then would act as local server for this session. You would have to know exactly what machine was chosen, know its IP address and ping this one.

But take this with a pint of salt, I'm no network expert and the whole network structure of Elite is pretty much Voodoo to me. So I have no clue what happens when such a local server suddenly precipitates. Would the next best machine chosen then? And does it really work without any interruption or hickups? Hard to believe... When in doubt, ask Dav. He is a wizard.
    I actually went and looked at the latency in the p2p network. The game logs all of this. I just said ping because it's a simpler representation. This was just after the last p2p networking update so I had high hopes of a better connection. There don't seem to be very many US players for match making in general. That can make it hard to get matches with a good connection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12