Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Oculus update, ED now hangs on startup

  1. #16
    As I don't use oculus home or steam for elite I should be fine with my Oculus rift. Never understood the need for any of the oculus store or steam store keys to be honest.

  2. #17
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    As I don't use oculus home or steam for elite I should be fine with my Oculus rift. Never understood the need for any of the oculus store or steam store keys to be honest.
    Maybe things have changed, but previously when you played the game from the Frontier launcher, you'd get the SteamVR version launched, not the Oculus version, which is (was?) sub-optimal in terms of performance id you're on the Rift and not the Vive. It was also hard to choose weather to launch in VR or Desktop; both those problems are solved by using the Oculus Home version. Still, as others have said, its just a matter of running the exe outside of Home to bypass the issue for now.

  3. #18
    I've been hit with this bug for a while, like the OP I had tickets with Frontier and Oculus, however oculus never replied to that ticket but Frontier did. They gave me a cool work around, to create a new shortcut to the launcher with the switch /VR suffixed on the end of it. I only used this on my frontier launcher version, not the oculus version, but double clicking that icon takes me straight through the launcher, into VR. Granted the screen blacks out after displaying the frontier logo and remains dark while it loads up, but once at main menu the the VR headset displays. I've attached a screenshot Frontier Support gave me of the required suffix to the launcher shortcut. Thanks to CMDR's Ares and Kosmos for their help in this matter.


  4. #19
    I've done a clean install of the graphics driver to the latest version (382.53) as suggested but no difference... I suspect the issue lies with oculus home. When I get a chance I'll try windows clean install and see how that pans out.

  5. #20
    Originally Posted by LeoCeballos View Post (Source)
    Maybe things have changed, but previously when you played the game from the Frontier launcher, you'd get the SteamVR version launched, not the Oculus version, which is (was?) sub-optimal in terms of performance id you're on the Rift and not the Vive. It was also hard to choose weather to launch in VR or Desktop; both those problems are solved by using the Oculus Home version. Still, as others have said, its just a matter of running the exe outside of Home to bypass the issue for now.
    I uninstalled Steam VR. As I have an oculus rift any steam game that runs on the oculus just works without steam vr installed as it doesn't need it. Steam keeps on asking me to install it, but I refuse.

  6. #21
    I managed to roll back to 1.15 by downloading the installer again and running repair. Just waiting for SteamVR to validate and I will try it to see if it still black screens.

    Seriously though the Oculus QA Dept needs a kick in the underpants area for dropping a ball like that.

  7. #22
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    I uninstalled Steam VR. As I have an oculus rift any steam game that runs on the oculus just works without steam vr installed as it doesn't need it. Steam keeps on asking me to install it, but I refuse.
    Well crap it still forced the update on me even though I turned it off!

  8. #23
    Originally Posted by liquidphantom View Post (Source)
    Well crap it still forced the update on me even though I turned it off!
    I haven't turned anything off and I am still on 1.15. Weird.

  9. #24
    Mine auto-updated back to 1.15 tonight. I think they rolled it back.

  10. #25
    No probs here, oculus updated and Elite ran as usual from oculus home.

    edit.. But i didnt even know 1.6 was installed lol, it rolled back to 1.5 last night regardless. So 1.6 worked for me.
    i7 4770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H80i : Coolermaster Cosmos S : Asrock Z97 Extreme6 : GTX 1080 FE : 1000W Silverstone PSU : 2 x 24" Full HD Monitors : 32gig HyperX Savage 2400mhz DDR3 : 12+TB Sata3 HDD Space : 120Gig Samsung SSD : X52 Joystick : Oculus Rift CV1 : Logitech G25 wheel : Fatality Headset : G502 : MS Natural 4000 Keyboard : Windows 10 Pro

    CMDR Y2K - Your local friendly pirate

  11. #26
    Mine updated to 1.16.0.407085 this evening and it now works as intended, I can successfully launch Elite via the oculus store in both the VR and desktop versions of the oculus app. The telltale seems to be that where with the previous minor revision of 1.16(.0.406980 IIRC) it had a sky bluefloor and ceiling on the pre start up grid scene and that version hung after the frontier logo, now in this latest updated beta its pure white with the grey grid and it works :-)

  12. #27
    Yep, seeing the same thing. They asked me to reboot and grab a fresh set of logs today, and when I rebooted, it auto-updated to 1.16 again, and it works now.

  13. #28
    We have it good.

    Got whacked with the 1.16 update myself, the new one I believe, and ED starts no problem.
    It was even in focus, usually I have had to awkwardly alt+tab around to get it.

    I also bought Dirt today since it was on sale, apparently it's got more issues since the menus look like this and it's a known issue all from the beta days.


    When the actual driving start it's just fine, but the menu system in general is unbearable at this point, especially when you are new to the game.

    Then again I prefer Elite anyways

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12