Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: How Many Of You Were Once PC Gamers?

I tried to be a PC gamer for a while but the whole "PC Master Race" attitude of the community just soured it for me and because being a PC gamer is very expensive for me.

Originally Posted by M0rtr3k View Post (Source)
    I tried to be a PC gamer for a while but the whole "PC Master Race" attitude of the community just soured it for me and because being a PC gamer is very expensive for me.
    And I don't like the whole master race either, also I cant stand the console war. The way I am is who cares what you play on, nobody should belittle you over it.

Started gaming on PC's back in the late 90's and into the mid 2000's.
    Before the days of decent internet speed, we would spend the summer holidays hosting LAN parties for our group of around 7 players at whoever's parents had gone away on holiday!

I must admit, spending my (at the time) minimum wage on PC components to keep up to speed with the latest titles, became a bit of a bind.
    An old girlfriend got me a PS2 one Christmas, and I've never been back since.

Can't comment on how stable current PC's are, but ours were a never ending ballache, and the PS4 just works. The whole PSN thing just works.
    I even purchased the PSVR the other month, plus a playseat and decent FFB wheel. Dirt VR for example is probably the best gaming title as an all round package I have ever experienced. Really invested in the platform now and it works for me.
    Now ED has arrived, my life is probably now over!

Started on computer cm64 with elite and others then ps1/2/3/4 then I spotted that a follow on from my past was available on pc so back I went. Started with basic pc which wouldn't run elite so upgraded. To cut a long story short I'm over 2k in now just for ED and I love it. Gave my PS4 to my lad might grab him a copy lol

Rob

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Over in a thread I'm involved in on Dangerous Discussions (yeah, I know), this little golden nugget fell:

As someone who has gone in the other direction, that is a once serious PC gamer who is now mostly a Playstation gamer, I take umbrage with this assertion. I know that at least a few of you are like me, console gamers by choice. I'm curious just how many of you there are.
    Was a pc diehard myself back when the earlier unreals were all the rage...switched to consoles exclusively (apart from the odd free to play game on pc)after morrowind appeared on the original xbox i believe and have never looked back.Console does 2 important things for me that the pc can't;It allows me a greater degree of comfort and ease of use as well as giving me the peace of mind that real cheats are almost impossible in the closed eco system of console,which was always my biggest bugbear when i did pc game.They just about wipe out the many(and there are many) advantages to pc gaming.I really dislike the situation where consoles still mostly don't xplat online play(specifically sony,at least microsoft is trying) though i'm always going to be against pc cross play with my console,mainly due to the prevalence of cheats but also the fact that mouse in some genres is far superior to the controller,no ifs ands or buts.

I still play across multiple platforms. Some games I prefer on the PS, some I prefer on PC. For example, most of my 4x and strategy games are on the PC because (until VERY recently) devs weren't real great at programming controllers for complex and multiple commands.
    I also enjoy the mod freedoms and wide open nature of PC gaming. Over the years I've been involved in some major mod overhauls for some games. I got to learn a little coding, 3D modeling, etc. and stuff like that you simply cannot experience on consoles yet.

I'm more about gaming than I am a particular system. I went with and stuck with PS after the first Xbox release simply because more of my friends had PS so if I wanted to game with them I had to switch over to PS.

PCs are leagues ahead in regards to computing and processing power as well so if you want to be "bleeding edge" in game tech you want your PC. The gap has narrowed slightly with latest gen consoles, but there's still a ways to go.

Over in a thread I'm involved in on Dangerous Discussions (yeah, I know), this little golden nugget fell:

As someone who has gone in the other direction, that is a once serious PC gamer who is now mostly a Playstation gamer, I take umbrage with this assertion. I know that at least a few of you are like me, console gamers by choice. I'm curious just how many of you there are.
    These days you can play on ps4 with a mouse and keyboard, it's even officially supported by Sony they have their own one available although it's expensive and terrible... but it's not the only alternative. Lots of overwatch players indeed use keyboard and mouse on ps4 much to the annoyance of those that don't lol

I usually play games on PC because it's a superior platform. It is also a very dynamic platform that allows to customize gaming experiences. But I always play games on PC with my trusty 360 controller. I really dislike the "feeling" with keyb mouse setup in games. It feels just awkward and stiff.
    I've been a console player all my life, but when my 360 died for the third time a couple of years ago, I just started hating consoles. Now, I bought a PS4 Pro to enjoy those juicy Sony exclusives I've drooled over for many years and I don't regret it one bit.
    | i5 3350p @3.1 | 8 GB RAM | MSI GTX 660 | Elite: Dangerous on SSD |
    My Flickr
    My Soundcloud
    English is not my native language

Originally Posted by CMDR labrunning View Post (Source)
    It's all about the games for me. I played Elite on the Electron just because my parents bought me an 'educational' computer. Loved it and it blew me away. I didn't really get into computing and I don't know what happened to it. Many years later, I saw Sonic the Hedgehog on a Megadrive and it blew me away. I saved up for a Megadrive and enjoyed many games on that platform. Only about a year later I saw 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past' on a Super Nintendo and immediately sold my Megadrive to buy a SNES. At that age I was very sociable, and played lots of Mario Kart and Street Fighter with friends. Happy Days. My SNES went with me to Uni and I bought an Amiga whilst I was there to work on and of course bought 'Frontier: Elite II'. I think I played Lemmings on the Amiga as well but not much else as I had lots of games on the SNES by now. When the N64 came out I of course sold my SNES to get that (you rich guys must all have your hankies out by now surely?) and of course Mario 64 blew me away once again. It was at this time I also was given a computer from the place I had started working and discovered the internet. I ended up buying my own PC and bought Half-Life, which blew me away. By now you will have noticed the pattern. It's the games. Not the platform. Yeah sure, if you are into competitive gaming in shooting games, then a mouse and keyboard will trump a controller. It's a fact. But how would your mouse and keyboard have helped you on Mario Kart and Street Fighter? I played lots of Counter Strike back in the day and I was never any good, and that experience made playing soot em ups on a controller an interesting experience but anyone who played Goldeneye on N64 with that beautifully ergonomic controller will have nothing but love for that controller.

I don't own a PC anymore. I don't have a need for a PC in my home (I used Linux at home for years after getting fed up of the job on maintaining Windows in a home environment, and switched to Apple when I had kids as I didn't have the time to maintain Linux in a home environment). I have a MacBook Air and that does all the 'computing' I need. If I ever saw a game, that again, BLEW ME AWAY, and that I couldn't get on a console, then I would seriously think about getting a PC gaming rig. That was Elite Dangerous, but luckily when I found out about ED it had already been announced for PS4. Yeah, sure ED is a better experience on PC; but is it worth the cost and hassle (to me; some of you will say a gaming PC is no hassle)? Certainly not.

I've loved every minute of my gaming life, on whatever platform I was using.
    Enjoyed the reading.

I've always owned consoles, but when I was a young teenager I was obsessed with Star Wars and nearly all the Star Wars games were on PC (or least the best versions were): Dark Forces, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, KOTOR, etc. I also loved games like The Sims and Championship Manager, but I think the reason for my PC preference was that I loved Space-sims and you really needed a joystick for those. I remember forking out about £50, which was a hell of a lot for me, on Microsoft Sidewinder, to play games like Starlancer and Wing Commander.

Nowadays I barely play PC games, save for the odd bit of Left4Dead (because of the custom campaigns). Consoles are just less faff, plus being a collector I do like to have physical copies of things for my shelves.

I must admit that I've never encountered the whole 'PC Master Race' attitude, but perhaps that's because I tended to mix with other gamers (especially in my retro collector days) who simply just loved games and didn't give a damn about PC vs Consoles.

Originally Posted by antodena View Post (Source)
    Enjoyed the reading.
    Thanks glad you enjoyed it, sorry I don't always revisit threads I've posted on!

Research Assistant, Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo
    My PSN Id
    My thoughts on the HOTAS

"I didn't die, I performed an enforced ejection procedure and returned to the closest station."

Everyone's (companies) dream is to do for gaming what Netflix did with videos. When broadband becomes more ubiquitous, don't be surprised if the "console" is a dongle like a Chrome Stick or Firestick, and you'll be playing a "video" generated in the cloud.

I have mixed feelings about this coming reality...

It won't be so bad. I play my Pro remotely sometimes when away from my apartment and the technology is almost there.

My history of gaming goes something like this:

Intellivision > Atari VCS > Spectrum 48K > CBM64 > Amiga 500 > Amiga 1200 > PlayStation > N64 > PC (3dfx) > NGBC > Dreamcast > PS2 > PC (Nvidia) > NGBA > Xbox360 > NDS > N3DS > PS4 > PSVITA

The main benefit for me with console gaming is the immediacy and accessibility. For 99.9% of the time, everything just works. This generally isn't my experience with PC gaming. Also, having been in the IT industry for many years, sometimes it's nice to get away from a computer! But I wouldn't say that I'm a console gamer by choice, for me it's a financial necessity.

As I get older, I'm getting much more particular about what I play - and compared to other formats I've owned, my PS4 game collection is tiny. Should the day come when I have a spare £5k on hand to build a monster PC rig with the peripherals I want for sim-gaming, then maybe I'll make the switch. Until then, consoles offer tremendous value for money.

14. This is the last staff post in this thread. #59
    Originally Posted by SpaceMachine View Post (Source)
    My history of gaming goes something like this:

Intellivision > Atari VCS > Sprectrum 48K > CBM64 > Amiga 500 > Amiga 1200 > PlayStation > N64 > PC (3dfx) > NGBC > Dreamcast > PS2 > PC (Nvidia) > NGBA > Xbox360 > NDS > N3DS > PS4 > PSVITA
    It's awesome seeing people's progressions through gaming throughout the years, I started with a Binatone TV Master that my dad had kept in the cupboard for years, then moved on to an Amiga 600. After that it was mostly consoles for me until we got a home PC for access to the internet in 2000. I guess mine went:

Binatone TV Master > Amiga 600 > Sega Master System II > PlayStation > GameBoy Colour > Sega Dreamcast > PC (albeit a very bad, low powered one!) > PlayStation 2 > Xbox 360 > Nintendo Wii > PlayStation 3 > PC (gaming laptop) > Xbox One > PlayStation 4 > PlayStation Vita > Wii U > PC (desktop)

Originally Posted by Lloyd Morgan-Moore View Post (Source)
    It's awesome seeing people's progressions through gaming throughout the years, I started with a Binatone TV Master that my dad had kept in the cupboard for years, then moved on to an Amiga 600. After that it was mostly consoles for me until we got a home PC for access to the internet in 2000. I guess mine went:

Binatone TV Master > Amiga 600 > Sega Master System II > PlayStation > GameBoy Colour > Sega Dreamcast > PC (albeit a very bad, low powered one!) > PlayStation 2 > Xbox 360 > Nintendo Wii > PlayStation 3 > PC (gaming laptop) > Xbox One > PlayStation 4 > PlayStation Vita > Wii U > PC (desktop)
    Including my Binatone, my history would be:

Binatone > Dragon 32 > Amstrad CPC464 > Amiga 500 > Amiga 4000/030 > PS1 > PS2 > PC bought for anticipated Elite 4 release circa 2002 > PS3 > (Elite Dangerous Launches) > new PC so I can actually run Elite Dangerous > PS4

That being said, I play Elite Dangerous on PC (and is the only game on my PC), everything is played on the PS4 (which isn't very often).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast