View Entry Info: Cannot disable upnp from network options

Category:
PC/MAC Bug Reports

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Cannot disable upnp from network options

Cannot disable upnp from network options

Severity
    Minor

Frequency
    All of the time (100%)

Time of occurrence
    18:00

Date of occurrence
    16/0617

VR?
    None / N/A

Ship/SRV?
    N/A

Ship Type
    Python

Commander Name
    Ebbrell

Description
    I use port forwarding through a firewall etc. I can edit the appconfig.XML file to change the upnp to 0, beat was running fine

Then beta 2 update was applied, the XML file was overwritten enable ding upnp again, I only noticed because I was getting slow drop outs to planets from super cruise and being disconnected with to many retry attempts

On the network setting options in the game you cannot turn on or off upnp, you still have to use the XML file

You can select a port to use, but cannot turn off upnp which means the port is ignored until you edit the XML as well

Once the file is amended the in game upnp does display as off, but its read only in game

Steps to Reproduce
    Login to game look at network options

Additional files?

2. This is the last staff post in this thread. #2
    Hey ebbrell,

Could the long drop out times be related to this bug? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/356304

If you feel this is a different issue can you please send me over your Netlog and Dxdiag to assist in this investigation.
    Please remember to use the bug reporting template, found in our guidelines for posting threads about bugs!
    Please check our known issues threads before making your report:
    PC & Mac - Known Issues Thread
    Xbox One - Known Issues Thread

I dont think so, I managed to turn it off by editing the appconfig.XML file..... I had drop out issues before I spotted this was on, which is when I edited it... I fixed before I got the long drop outs. Also the long drop outs are only when busy

This is nearly an observation you cannot turn off upnp in menu system, you have to edit the XML file manually using notepad or somethimg

You have settings to enable port forwarding and set a port in the network options. The game should then use those instead of anything negotiated via UPnP. The UPnP line itself is just an indicator of general availability.
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    You have settings to enable port forwarding and set a port in the network options. The game should then use those instead of anything negotiated via UPnP. The UPnP line itself is just an indicator of general availability.
    I submitted 'the same bug'; containig approx. time & date <https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/358277-UPnP-cannot-be-disabled-from-networks-menu-when-using-Port-Forward-unreliable-network-connection(s)>. BTW; had the same issue the next night (the one from 18. to 19. June; I usually start playing after 10pm local (GMT+2). I reverted to turning portforward off.

I read you, claiming that it 'should' display only general availability; according to pfSense (and the bundled miniUPnP coming with it) it does not always behave that way. I was observing a mix (of states); according to windows ED hat about 2 dozends uf TCP Sessions active with the UPnP-Serverport on the pfSense (the later confirming that).
    Opposite to the OP here I did *not* edit the config manually; I didn't want to mess um the testconditions. Yes, I do know that I need to restart the client to make the setting have any effect. And to make matters worse: its not really reproducible. Yesterday I had one session, running fine with a symmetrical 5100 Port-forward (note: this one was sticky configured, keeping 5100 as source port after NAT).

SideNote to FDev: I want to point out, that the Client was - networkwise - very stable for these filled instances. I had not very much issues - even the situation with portfwd. turned on (and the client in a somehow mixed state) was OK for me. I had 3 or 4 exit-to-mainmenu issues and a handfull in 'restock' (return-to-station-services-menu). I have experienced worse in the last months in the main game.