Thread: Newsletter 179

Newsletter 179

All the latest Elite Dangerous news

NEWSLETTER #179

Welcome to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter, the place to find all the latest from the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

What a week it has been! With the announcement of update 2.4 "The Return" along with confirmation of the age old foe, the Thargoids, returning to the Galaxy there is loads for you to get excited about!

As always, you can hear the latest news and updates directly from the development team on our Forums, Twitter, Facebook, Community Homepage, and right here in the newsletter every week, and we're always eager to hear your feedback.

On the Horizon
    All the latest for Elite Dangerous: Horizons

The Thargoids have returned.

Thanks to the work of pilots from across the Galaxy, Commander Lewis was able to reveal that the alien race first encountered hundreds of years ago have made their way back into our Galaxy.

What does this mean for us? Frontier CEO and Elite Co-founder David Braben talks about what the future may hold following the revelation in this video update.

Along with the news that Thargoids are back, we also confirmed the latest update, "The Return" will be arriving in Q3 of this year and with it comes a new kind of update. Story beats affecting all commanders will be released over time following the launch of 2.4 as the narrative unfolds. You can find out more over on the Elite Dangerous Forums.

Livestream Lowdown
    Catch up with videos from the community team

UNCOVERING THE TRUTH

On the streams this week, we managed to pull off something special together; our fantastic community joined to take part in a Community Goal that would reveal information to change the galaxy forever. In the first part of our two Community E3 specials we kicked off the Community Goal in style.

Thanks to you, we were able to transfer enough data to Professor Palin who was able to confirm our suspicions: the Thargoids are back… the same enemy so many of our Commanders feared from the original 1984 Elite.

WATCH PART 1 

WATCH PART 2

STORE SPOTLIGHT
    The latest goods and the best deals from the Frontier Store

START YOUR JOURNEY

Good news for Saud Kruger fans! This week you can get the brand new Wayfarer paint jobs for both the Dolphin and the Orca in a variety of colors. Perfect for those who want to take their passengers through the stars in style.

Community Central
    The best from the community, all in one place

A NEW ADVENTURE

To mark the countdown to this year's Lavecon, the crew of the Orange Sidewinder have teamed up with co-sponsors EDRPG to create a four part adventure.

The first three episodes will be made available as a downloadable podcast running up to the event, with the finale being played, live on stage at this years Lavecon.

You can download the episodes at LaveRadio.

LaveCon runs from Friday 23rd to Sunday 25th June, at Sedgebrook Hall Hotel near Northampton. For more information on Lavecon visit the LaveRadio website.

LAST CHANCE TO GET YOUR EXCLUSIVE BETA DECAL

Thank you so much for taking part in the Elite Dangerous 2.3.10 beta - the feedback we received was incredibly useful and important in improving the physics and networking capabilities of Elite Dangerous.

The beta will close on Monday, so now is your last chance to get involved in the open beta and pick up the exclusive decal! All you have to do is head over to the forum and follow the specific instructions to have the decal added to your account at a later update.

Galnet Focus
    All the news from across the Galaxy

FURTHER SUPERPOWER EXPANSION

Both the Empire and the Federation have announced new expansion initiatives centred in the Pleiades region. The Empire has declared its intention to bolster its Navy with a new Well-class Carrier, while the Federation has announced plans to establish an asteroid base among the rings of HIP 17692 A4 in the HIP 17692 system.

KNIGHTS OF KARMA APPEAL CONCLUDES

The Knights of Karma have announced that their plan to establish a new mining facility in the Qa’wakana system has been warmly received by the galactic community. The organisation’s targets for materials have been met, and work on the new facility is expected to start soon.

Community Goals
    The latest missions for you to take on

IMPERIAL APPEAL FOR COMMODITIES
    Obsidian Orbital, Maia

Earn rewards by delivering Silver, Micro-weave Cooling Hoses and Emergency Power Cells to Obsidian Orbital in the Maia system.

FEDERAL APPEAL FOR COMMODITIES

Obsidian Orbital, Maia

Earn rewards by delivering Tantalum, Superconductors and Power Transfer Busses to Obsidian Orbital in the Maia system.

Comms Chatter
    A round up of this week's community content

FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE

Did someone say conga-line mass jump? Thanks, Islanden!

A PEAK INTO THE FUTURE

Isiah Evanson titled this image 'The Shape of Things to Come'

OBSIDIAN ANT ON THARGOIDS

The Thargoids are back, and of course, Obsidian Ant has something to say about them!

See you in the black, Commanders

The Frontier Developments Team

If you no longer wish to receive emails from Frontier about Elite Dangerous, you can unsubscribe

Enjoyed this email? Why not forward to a friend

Frontier

Copyright © 2016 Frontier Developments plc. All rights reserved.

Frontier Developments plc, 306 Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, England,  CB4 0WG, UK

Thanks for the newsletter!

So I am a little confused. Will the narrative only unfold after 2.4 is released? Or will we be getting a build up of narrative elements leading up to 2.4?

If the former, then I genuinely hope we won't have to wait too long into Q3 to get 2.4. You can't drop the Thargoids back info the galaxy, then expect the community to go to sleep for a whole 3 months .

I am also curious about how the narrative elements will impact on beta testing of 2.4. I am guessing that 2.4 will come with a host of non-narrative elements that will need Beta Testing.

Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    So I am a little confused. Will the narrative only unfold after 2.4 is released? Or will we be getting a build up of narrative elements leading up to 2.4?

If the former, then I genuinely hope we won't have to wait too long into Q3 to get 2.4. You can't drop the Thargoids back info the galaxy, then expect the community to go to sleep for a whole 3 months .

I am also curious about how the narrative elements will impact on beta testing of 2.4. I am guessing that 2.4 will come with a host of non-narrative elements that will need Beta Testing.
    Narrative will unfold as part of 2.4. That is, between 2.4 and whatever comes next we will have a continuing story centered on 2.4 and the Thargoids.

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)
    Narrative will unfold as part of 2.4. That is, between 2.4 and whatever comes next we will have a continuing story centered on 2.4 and the Thargoids.
    In that case, as I said, I hope they don't allow the excitement to die down too much.

Thaaaankss.
    2.4 will keep people occupied for a duration.

Flimley

No newsletter #179 in my inbox so far.
    Horizons for macOS Sierra. Possible or not?

Always a pleasure to receive the newsletter. Beautiful picture of Isiah Evanson

Just received at 6pm, my time.

Received yesterday around 9pm, all fine

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)
    All you have to do is head over to the forum and follow the specific instructions
    Where?

Originally Posted by Zueuk View Post (Source)
    Where?
    I'm taking a guess that you are asking about the Decal for CMDRs that participate in the Open Beta v2.3.10 CGs ...if that is the case then the link below will take you to the thread about it.

Beta 2.3.10 Live Now for all players (including exclusive decal reward)

(excepts taken from the link in spoiler above)

anybody who gets involved in the beta-only Community Goals will receive an exclusive in-game decal that will be available at the launch of 2.4.

All you have to do to receive the decal is take part in the CGs listed in the ‘Network and Physics Stress Testing Request’ section of this post.

NETWORK AND PHYSICS STRESS TESTING REQUEST

We have placed a temporary asteroid station “No Moon” in the system to act as a base of operations for these tests and also host some Community Goals to act as guide to the sort of things we need to test.
    CG #1 - Network Gurus Network at Ancient Ruins
    Help stress test networking and physics at the ancient site on Planet 1B in the Synuefe XR-H D11-102 system. To prove you were there please pick up and deliver one ancient item to No Moon in Synuefe XR-H D11-102.
    CG #2 – Dedicated Testers Go Mining
    Help stress test networking and physics (limpets especially) at asteroid sites in the Synuefe XR-H D11-102 system. To prove you have been there please bring back at least 1 unit of any mined metal.

...hope that helps out

IMHO, 2.4: The Return sounds like just another pewpew orientated mod. I'm just looking forward to the "fixes" and additions unrelated to Thargoids. Fingers crossed!