Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any monitor experts out there? Need help choosing an Ultra-Wide

Originally Posted by AirBear View Post (Source)
    I've got a Nvidia 1070 right now, this Samsung only supports AMD freesync. I asked around and most don't think it's that big of a deal, and even if it is with my multi-monitor setup I run my games in windowed or maximized/borderless window mode. Freesync and G-sync only work in full screen mode if I understand correctly. I routinely do stuff on the other monitors while gaming, especially with ED. I frequently access various user created websites to lookup where stuff is and check on ship builds.

The only monitor with 3440x1440 and G-Sync in even remotely close to my price range is the AOC Agon AG353UCG. It's $100 more than the Samsung I ordered. And Bestbuy doesn't carry it so I'd have to go with Amazon. I really like the idea of being able to drop the monitor off at my local store in the event of problems. And I'm unsure how good AOC is.

Right now AMD's best card is less powerful than my 1070, but they're supposed to have better gamer cards based on their "Vega" series coming out later this summer. If I can stand running full screen I might take a look at upgrading so I can use FreeSync.
    Fair enough mate, enjoy your new stuff, hope it serves you well!

P.S. G-Sync definitely works in desktop mode, you just need to switch it on in the NV Control Panel. No idea about AMD equivalent though.

Originally Posted by AirBear View Post (Source)
    I've got a Nvidia 1070 right now, this Samsung only supports AMD freesync. I asked around and most don't think it's that big of a deal, and even if it is with my multi-monitor setup I run my games in windowed or maximized/borderless window mode. Freesync and G-sync only work in full screen mode if I understand correctly. I routinely do stuff on the other monitors while gaming, especially with ED. I frequently access various user created websites to lookup where stuff is and check on ship builds.

The only monitor with 3440x1440 and G-Sync in even remotely close to my price range is the AOC Agon AG353UCG. It's $100 more than the Samsung I ordered. And Bestbuy doesn't carry it so I'd have to go with Amazon. I really like the idea of being able to drop the monitor off at my local store in the event of problems. And I'm unsure how good AOC is.

Right now AMD's best card is less powerful than my 1070, but they're supposed to have better gamer cards based on their "Vega" series coming out later this summer. If I can stand running full screen I might take a look at upgrading so I can use FreeSync.
    I went through the same choice you're having - ended up with an acer x34a gsync 100Hz, to be honest though I'm not sure a tv might not have been just as good for elite dangerous.

GSYNC is actually very nice - got it working (there's a few settings in nvidia control panel that need to be changed to get it working. Although the nvidia geforce experience is currently not recognising elite dangerous for me and so gsync seems to have been turned off (getting 120fps - my limit instead of the usual gsync locked 100) - anyone else having this issue?

hmmm.... working again, no idea why....

Samsung CF791 arrived today, a week early (thank you BestBuy!) Colors are very good, I'll try to link a photo I took of the setup. I'm running the CF791 as primary with 2 older monitors flanking it. I use the Oculus Rift on missions where combat is likely and when I'll need to be multi-tasking I use the monitor. Nothing worse than droning along for 400,000LS in SC while on the headset. Off I can watch Youtube, do email, etc. The white ball in front of the keyboard is a "Snowball" mic, it has very good pickup which I need for the Voice Attack app. You may also see the Thrustmaster Throttle and Joystick. I still have a bit of tweaking to do on my desk, I'm going to add a small extension so the right hand monitor isn't teetering on the edge.

Enjoy your new monitor
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12