Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any monitor experts out there? Need help choosing an Ultra-Wide

Any monitor experts out there? Need help choosing an Ultra-Wide

Trying to decide on an Ultra-Wide monitor. I've got the Oculus Rift but tend to play quite a few hours per day and it gets uncomfortable after awhile. I've currently got a 3 monitor setup, with a 28" 4k monitor as primary, a 24" 1980x1080 to the right, and a 20" 1680x1050 to the left. Two of these will have to go once I get the Wide Screen. I'm looking at 34" monitors and have done a lot of research today and learned a lot about monitor terminology. It's been a number of years since I last bought a monitor.

The system it's going to go on is a CyberPC i7 with 32GB RAM and a Nvidia 1070 GPU (Win10)

Here's what I've narrowed it down too so far:

Dell U3417w $775 (US): https://www.amazon.com/Dell-FR3PK-34...et_feature_div

The Dell has a great 3yr warranty, it has a pass thru connector to connect a 2nd monitor which saves a port on the video card. It has an IPS screen (didn't know what that was until an hour ago!). Max refresh is 60mhz. Reviews say it's a great all-around monitor, but only average for gaming.

Samsung CF791 $798 (US) https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-34-In...661543f502cfac

The Samsung seems more oriented to gamers. It uses a VA screen and has max refresh of 100mhz. Also has the AMD sync feature but I have Nvidia so not a factor. Warranty is only a year and nice to have features like the pass-thru are not present.

I also looked at the Dell U3415w but it's 2.5 years old and the curvature is R3800 compared to R1900 on the later model. The Samsung says it has R1500 but that may be a mistake, it's probably R1800.

I know there's monitors out that have Nvidia G-sync but all of them I could find are over $1000. ~$800 is about the limit I want to spend.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

AirBear

I know it's not a ultra-wide, but you can pick up a 55" Samsung 4k TV at Walmart for under $600

Plonk that on your desk, tell the 1070 to output 4096x2160 at 60Hz and have fun
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

After many years of different triple-head setups, I got myself a Dell U3417w and i'm very happy with it!

Had to use the display port connector to get 60hz was about the only issue, or it defaults to 50hz.

I have the Dell U3415 and absolutely love it.

Read and watched tons of reviews and it still feels like I made a great choice.

It's also great for any other type of use, Text is crisp and clear. Color is exceptional and calibrated at the factory.

No complaints.

I'm not sure about other games, but it works fine for ED.

I have a 980Ti card and also drive another Dell 24" 1920X1200 monitor along side with no problem.
    Not complaining, just an observation.

I've got the Dell monitor as well. Best hardware purchase I have ever made.

That's good info, thanks. I can get a U3415 for about $100 cheaper than the U3417. Main differences are the 3417 has a sharper curve and has USB ports on the side vs. the back so they're easier to reach. Mostly it's the much increased curve factor is why I'd spend the extra $$$. Also, Bestbuy has the U3417 available for order, but not the 3415. I can get them to match Amazon's price and still get my 5% in reward points. Bestbuy also has the Samsung but on Amazon it's a re-seller so they won't match the lower price. I strongly prefer to buy large items like this locally in case I need to return it for some reason.

Right now I only play ED, but I think either of these would be OK for the type of games I play.

AirBear

Originally Posted by GJ51 View Post (Source)
    I have the Dell U3415 and absolutely love it.

Read and watched tons of reviews and it still feels like I made a great choice.

It's also great for any other type of use, Text is crisp and clear. Color is exceptional and calibrated at the factory.

No complaints.

I'm not sure about other games, but it works fine for ED.

I have a 980Ti card and also drive another Dell 24" 1920X1200 monitor along side with no problem.

Here's another one I'm toying with, an Acer Predator:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...predator+z301c

It's in my price range but I'd give up a few inches of screen size and the res is 2560x1080 vs. 3440x1440 on the Dell and Samsung. It does give me Nvidia G-sync, the curve ratio is good at 1800R, same as the other two. Refresh rate is 144mhz, overclockable to 200mhz. More of a dedicated gaming monitor and will probably fit my desk easier although I could make the others work.

Questions for the tech types:

-is the difference in res really that noticeable?
    -should Nvidia G-Sync be a factor in my decision?
    -any opinions on Dell vs. Samsung vs. Acer?

Several have already said they really like the Dell. My group leader Dexatron runs a computer store and although not an expert on monitors he says Acer's tech support is many times better than Dell or Samsung. He's called all three of those tech supports many times on behalf of clients.

Thanks guys,

AirBear

IMO the 34" ultrawides are not tall enough. They're only the same height as a 27" 16:9.

I went for 3 x 32" 16:9 monitors which are a good 2" taller:

http://www.gearnut.com.au/monitors/a...fcx-eyefinity/

Also once you have played on 60Hz + with Freesync/Gsync it is very hard to go back...it is that much better.

Originally Posted by AirBear View Post (Source)
    Here's another one I'm toying with, an Acer Predator:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...predator+z301c

It's in my price range but I'd give up a few inches of screen size and the res is 2560x1080 vs. 3440x1440 on the Dell and Samsung. It does give me Nvidia G-sync, the curve ratio is good at 1800R, same as the other two. Refresh rate is 144mhz, overclockable to 200mhz. More of a dedicated gaming monitor and will probably fit my desk easier although I could make the others work.

Questions for the tech types:

-is the difference in res really that noticeable?
    -should Nvidia G-Sync be a factor in my decision?
    -any opinions on Dell vs. Samsung vs. Acer?

Several have already said they really like the Dell. My group leader Dexatron runs a computer store and although not an expert on monitors he says Acer's tech support is many times better than Dell or Samsung. He's called all three of those tech supports many times on behalf of clients.

Thanks guys,

AirBear
    The difference in resolution would be very noticeable. You are getting an additional 2.2M pixels, not only is the screen a good deal larger in size but pixel density is also higher, 109 pixels p/sq inch on the 3440 vs 96 pixels p/sq inch on the 2560.

I would also take an IPS over a VA any day.

Again, thanks for the info guys. After watching a lot of reviews and talking to the Geek Squad Guy at Bestbuy I went for the Samsung CF791. The deciding factor was the higher refresh rate of 100hz on this VA panel vs. the 60hz on the IPS monitors. The IPS like the Dell makes a great general purpose monitor and would be OK for ED but the Geek Squad Guy said the 100hz refresh is noticeable over 60hz for most gaming. And with ED when I get done carrying Thurston and Lovey around on these good paying Passenger missions and get back to combat I'll be on the Oculus Rift VR anyway. With Pax missions I'm having to access my web browser too often (looking for stuff the pax request) to be using the Rift. Too bad the Rift doesn't have an option to switch to a web browser without dumping the game.

My current main monitor I've had for 4-5 years is a Samsung 28" 4K and I've been happy with it. That was part of my decision. If I can figure out a way to cram that monitor on this 62" wide desk along with the new monitor I'll continue to use it in a secondary role. BestBuy matched Amazon's price and for $50 I bought a 4 year Geek Squad warranty. The store is just a mile from my house so if the new monitor ever has problems in the next 4 years I'll just carry it over there and drop it on their desk. Much easier than packing it up and shipping.

I won't have the new monitor until the end of the month so if something else comes along I can always cancel, but for now I'm happy.

Again, thanks for the replies.

AirBear

If I can figure out a way to cram that monitor on this 62" wide desk along with the new monitor
    Wall mounting brackets?

Originally Posted by winterknight View Post (Source)
    Wall mounting brackets?

Wall is 3-4 feet from where my monitors sit, I need to check into some mounts that aren't wall unless there's a wall mount that comes out that far. But I've got plenty of wood and have already jury-rigged this desk several times so 1 more time won't matter much

AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz / 32 GB Ram / Titan X Pascal / ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ROG / HTC Vive / Steam VR Rating: 20937
    Independent Trader - Curious Explorer - The least talented smuggler in the Galaxy.
    "Please stop trying to change the game I love into something you might like." - Any grind, is in your mind.
    CMDR Shadragon / CMDR Drain Bamaged / CMDR CuteLilBunny

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    If I can give any advice is - do find one with nVidia's G-Sync. It makes quite a difference.
    I've got a Nvidia 1070 right now, this Samsung only supports AMD freesync. I asked around and most don't think it's that big of a deal, and even if it is with my multi-monitor setup I run my games in windowed or maximized/borderless window mode. Freesync and G-sync only work in full screen mode if I understand correctly. I routinely do stuff on the other monitors while gaming, especially with ED. I frequently access various user created websites to lookup where stuff is and check on ship builds.

The only monitor with 3440x1440 and G-Sync in even remotely close to my price range is the AOC Agon AG353UCG. It's $100 more than the Samsung I ordered. And Bestbuy doesn't carry it so I'd have to go with Amazon. I really like the idea of being able to drop the monitor off at my local store in the event of problems. And I'm unsure how good AOC is.

Right now AMD's best card is less powerful than my 1070, but they're supposed to have better gamer cards based on their "Vega" series coming out later this summer. If I can stand running full screen I might take a look at upgrading so I can use FreeSync.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast