Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Game freezes on hyperjump

Game freezes on hyperjump

Game worked perfectly until I upgraded my CPU and motherboard last week. So it could be a compatibility issue, My game will run great until I do about 5 jumps. Then mid hyperspace the game will freeze the computer and the only way out of it is a hard reset of the whole computer. Not sure if there's logs anywhere... I'd record it, but as it locks the computer it wouldn't save it to drive. Downclocking my CPU to 4.2 and 3.8GHz did not solve. My old FX-4350 @4.2GHz ran this game for many hours and thousands of jumps with no issue, even at times 8 hours straight.

AMD FX-9590 @ 4.7GHz
    Corsair H100i Liquid CPU cooler
    ASRock 990FX Extreme6 motherboard
    16GB PNY Anarchy RAM DDR3-1866mhz
    RX480 4GB video card.

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #2
    It does sound like a hardware issue - possibly power-related. Generally the reasons for any computer freezing and then rebooting is that Windows did something it shouldn't, or the hardware itself decided to stop responding as it was too hot or malfunctioning due to a lack of, or too much power.

The best way to check out what's going on would be to load up the event viewer in Windows as it might have recorded something useful for you at the time of the lock-up.

Here's a pretty good article about Event Viewer, if you're unfamiliar with it.
    Frontier Customer Support Team

The computer is not rebooting itself. It simply locks up with the repeating hyperspace sound, unable to look around the cockpit, visuals frozen, until I hold the power button down to shut it down. I checked Event Viewer, and all it said was "the previous shutdown was unexpected"

Edit: Just checked my other games. GTA5 runs solid with no hiccups, as does Fallout4, FarCry4, WoW, EVE Online and ARMA 3...

SWTOR is also having this issue. I'm unable to play that game for more than 5 minutes as well.

have you tried reinstalling the gpu driver using the clean install function

Originally Posted by Jevik View Post (Source)
    The computer is not rebooting itself. It simply locks up with the repeating hyperspace sound, unable to look around the cockpit, visuals frozen, until I hold the power button down to shut it down. I checked Event Viewer, and all it said was "the previous shutdown was unexpected"

I also experienced these hung ups when hyper jumping, SC'ing and dropping out of them especially in systems where a community goal is happening. A CMDR explained this issue in another forum as inherent with P2P networking - this occurs b/c your client cannot retrieve instance information from whomever's client owns the instance. Whenever there is an instance with more than one CMDR, one client 'owns' the instance, and the other clients send updates to that instance. Hence, if a CMDR jumps/drops into a system/out of SC first, they own the instance.

Hope that makes sense as I interpreted it from my friend's post the way I understand this - it's all a bit too technical

Edit: When this happens to you again next time, you don't need to shut down your computer. Assuming you are running Windows, just go to the Details tab in Task Manager - find/select the Elite Dangerous.exe (not named exactly this but something along this), and click End task.

What PSU do you have?
    You went from a 125w CPU to a 220w CPU, and 220w is quite a lot.
    That video card uses 150w. So just those two components can be using 320w. Add some extra for RAM, HDD, etc and you will need a 350w GOOD QUALITY PSU. A 500w piece of crap probably won't cut it.

And the highest load difference would be coming out of hyperspace, where you go from near zero CPU & VGA load to high for both.

The PSU might not be able to cope with the sudden changes.
    Elite : Dangerous.
    You, your ship and a Galaxy.

7. This is the last staff post in this thread. #7
    If you're still experiencing these problems and a clean GPU installation didn't work as suggested above, please do make a ticket. https://support.frontier.co.uk/topic.php

Be sure to include a copy of your dxdiag report in order to expedite the process.
    Frontier Customer Support Team

It's not the PSU. It's a KenTek 1050W, so there's plenty of juice there. And going to the task manager doesnt work, since all key functions are frozen. unable to alt tab, ctrl-shift-esc, ctrl-alt-del or anything of that nature. I ran the AMD cleanup, and did a fresh reinstall of Radeon crimson, which did not solve the issue... but now the computer locks up the same way in GTA5 and Fallout4.

Doing some googling the FX9590 has a bit of a reputation for locking up during gaming. So I'm about to test it out with my C1E and other bios options disabled. Wish me luck.

Oh possibly related, but my controller stops working in all my games after a few minutes. Still haven't been able to track that down. It's a USB Afterglow 360 Gamepad. Still lit up and has power, just stops working.

Well instead of making it 2 jumps I was able to make it about 20. It didnt however force me to hard reset. I was able to hit the windows key and it came up with a mouse icon, Alt tab did work, however my system was largely unresponsive, until it generated a launcher crash report, which I did submit.

It's not the PSU. It's a KenTek 1050W, so there's plenty of juice there.
    A quick google says "kenTek are junk". I can't verify that, mind you. But I've not heard of them before.
    Just because they claim 1050w doesn't mean it can actually supply that load. Or maybe it can, but only if it ramps up to it slowly.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html
    Doesn't even list that brand. This probably isn't a good thing

If your problems persist try a known good quality name brand (Like SeaSonic or Antec ... Or anything in the first tier in that list from TomsHardware ) PSU of about 500w. You don't need more, with a good name PSU.

try a 50 hz gpu clock drop just to keep you in game for now, using the control sliders on msi afterburner https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner
    as it may just be a slight frequency mobo/gpu miss marriage when it comes to elite dangerous this game don't like overclocked machines
    and I think that may calm down the hyperspace tdr as the clean install gpu driver change did not quite goto plan, so I do suggest you give that a quick whir
    install and run msi afterburner slide the gpu slider controler down 50 hz leave running in background then play elite that should get you past the hyperspace freez but sound continues issue.

Well this power supply has been going strong for 2-3 years now. Havent had an issue yet with it. If it was power related then my dropping the 9590 from 4.7GHz to 3.8 and undervolting would have solved that as it wouldn't be drawing as much power? As a side note however I changed my CPU back to the FX4350 on the same motherboard and voila, fixed. Zero issues. I just got done doing about 500 jumps and 3 hours in a RES site after buying and fitting a Python all in one session on my 4350..

I'm calling this one a faulty or incompatible/non-optimized CPU issue. I'll rock the 4350 until I get my Ryzen 1600.

Well this power supply has been going strong for 2-3 years now. Havent had an issue yet with it.
    You weren't stressing the PSU in the way you are now.
    If it was power related then my dropping the 9590 from 4.7GHz to 3.8 and undervolting would have solved that as it wouldn't be drawing as much power?
    You stating a fact there or asking a question? In any case, I couldn't say either way. I'd expect it to use less power. How much less, no idea.

As a side note however I changed my CPU back to the FX4350 on the same motherboard and voila, fixed. Zero issues. I just got done doing about 500 jumps and 3 hours in a RES site after buying and fitting a Python all in one session on my 4350..

I'm calling this one a faulty or incompatible/non-optimized CPU issue. I'll rock the 4350 until I get my Ryzen 1600.
    It's entirely possible that this is your cause.

sorted in order to play that's the main thing happy trails o7