Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the barrier of entry to experience PVP too high?

Is the barrier of entry to experience PVP too high?

I brought a mate as wing to a CG system today. He's somewhat new, he has an A-rated Federal Assault Ship that is designed to hull tank.

To cut the story short, we met with various opposition ship types (Viper to Corvette) but it was just so frustrating to see him get killed within 10 seconds from many of our engagements despite him being able to fly exclusively with FA-off, even by ships way lower in price.

He doesn't have Horizons but will buy it this week, but it seems he's got a long way to go before he can enter another PVP match. He'll first have to become ally to Sirius, then get 25 modular terminals, then upgrade various modules to Grade 3, then learn to use SRV, then find unknown fragments, and then grind Prof Palin. And that's to access to just 1 module.

We're not even talking about finding the materials and data that is required to upgrade the modules yet.

So starting from an A-rated ship, it may take him months before he can start PVP.

Is the barrier of entry too high?

I'm sure you can find PvP groups that use unmodded ships.

The financial/material barrier for PvP is indeed quite high. And that's even before factoring in that many (I'm being really optimistic here) of the people loaded for PvP that you face at any given CG in Open have all exploited their ships with godrolls, and literally, hundreds if not thousands of g5 modules for the price of Nickel.

To answer your question. Absurdly so.

But of course you can expect those who have already done the grind to argue that.

My Rig: Alienware Area-51 i7-5930K @3.5GH, 32GB memory, ROG GTX 1080Ti, Asus 27" monitor, TrackIR, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals

Best advice I saw about getting into PvP was to just fit an interdictor & start pulling other players out of supercruise. Expect to die a lot.

To PvP with people who have put months and months of work into there ship's he's going to be unable to cope sure but surely that's only fair.
    All the things you talk about him having to do before he can PvP has been my content for the past few months .
    I think if the aim is to PvP as soon as possible the only option is a private server as mentioned above or trying to organise enough people for a cqc match.

Edit
    The link posted by winter jasra sounds perfect for your mate.

The barrier is indeed high. However, playing in Open no longer makes any sense due to the fact that jasonbarron mentioned as long as god rolled ships exists in the wild.

FDev finally managed to ruin their own game.
    Fly dangerous, CMDR Macros Black

I would have to say the barrier is way too high...engineers raised the bar upto heights so high that all I can see are stages of grind to get a glimpse of how high the bar actually went. Humans will be humans in any game, I can live with that if I at least have an idea about where the bar is, but...engineers...(shrugs)

This horse been flogged to death already...and the causes always come back to the exact same thing...engineers. Even established and respected pvprs will agree because Ive seen them agree both here and reddit ^
    M8 who ye talking to?
    Nobody.
    So who am I talking to?
    Me.
    Wha....?

Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    This horse been flogged to death already...and the causes always come back to the exact same thing...engineers. Even established and respected pvprs will agree because Ive seen them agree both here and reddit ^
    "Established and respected PvPers."

I've seen this too, and I can help sum up who these particular PvPers are: the one's banging on ad nauseum about the negative impact of the exploit going on for so long unchecked.

In other words: if you're a serious PvPer and you're not here screaming from the rafters about the damage caused by the exploit, but instead remaining silent or even trying to minimize the import of the exploit, then you are suspected of using it. To put it mildly.

Open PvP... kinda.

However people can always make groups that do PvP and use small unmodified ships if they prefer.

Then there is CQC which another great option.

For anyone just now buying horizons I can imagine engineering as a daunting undertaking. With that said, you don't need G5 mods to start PVPing. G1-4 will make a huge difference over a vanilla ship. Have your buddy get G3 mods and feel out what feels right before grinding G5s. I'm fairly sure the core engineers unlocked initially have most mods available at G3.

I've been killed once in open PVP and forced to retreat three times over hundreds of engagements. All while running a ship without god rolls. The fact is, for every 1 competent PVP player flying an engineered ship in open there are 10 more bad pilots flying a PVP ship and thinking they are a PVPer.

Buying horizons isn't an automatic "I win" but it is required to be relevant.

Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    "Established and respected PvPers."

I've seen this too, and I can help sum up who these particular PvPers are: the one's banging on ad nauseum about the negative impact of the exploit going on for so long unchecked.

In other words: if you're a serious PvPer and you're not here screaming from the rafters about the damage caused by the exploit, but instead remaining silent or even trying to minimize the import of the exploit, then you are suspected of using it. To put it mildly.
    Fair enough...will the jury neglect that statement when considering your verdict and call it a personal opinion. I should be fine because I have no idea what the current pvp meta is so it wont affect my reasoning ^
    M8 who ye talking to?
    Nobody.
    So who am I talking to?
    Me.
    Wha....?

Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    The fact that they're aren't 15 mega threads about this says to me that most of the community used this or some other engineering exploit to some degree. Which means the game is effectively broken for new players now. I would not recommend anyone new join the game at this time unfortunately.

Well I personally have not grinded engineers but they just got unlocked over time. I am just now compiling a list of what he has to do and it does seem.. daunting..

CQC is not really an option for us.. we are roleplaying griefer hunters. All our PVP content is meant to be hunting Wanted CMDRs especially in warzones like CG's to keep the traders safe. As a wing we do fine but my wingmate will die off too quickly and too often - and I think he's a better pilot than me.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast