Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat to my surprise, I'm rather enjoying mining

Just my opinion, but the Mining Lasers have one of the best sound effects in the game.

Most of my mining in the game was to surpass the 500T, but I would agree with others that it is indeed a relaxing, and surprisingly enjoyable experience. That is, until the asteroid destroys all of your deployed limpets because you weren't paying attention to your orientation.

I wish deep space Mining was a thing, but without permanent collector limpets, it really can't be. Sure, you can go out someplace where no one has been, and spend the time required to bring a hold full of X back, but you are going to be manually scooping the bulk of that X, which takes the wind out of the sails for me. I think a solid improvement for mining post-2.4 would be a new module like the Fighter Bays that stores/manufactures limpets.

Riôt

i do not understand it. i have the same feeling. i put of trying mining but the hunt for platinum, painite, palladium, pristine reserves - low temp diamonds still elude me but the hunt im enjoying lol. judging do i prospect this roid or mine a bit first and see what pops up? dropping into a ring, and weapons out, checking for pirates - they leave alone now if no cargo, which i prefer over the old just assume and shoot. but if you are mining brommelite for an engineer... could be a fight. and do you try to run or drop something and run or can you beat them? or are they just a fellow miner?

it should be insanely dull but there is a thrill to not knowing what the next rock/ice cube has got to offer....

it might just be me but i swear when i sell mined stuff i get more faction rep than just trading stuff i bought elsewhere.

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    Hmmm. So is there a difference between 'metallic' and 'pristine metallic'? The first planet I went to on the list was just 'metallic'.
    Many planets also have two rings. The metallic ring is almost always the inner ring.

Also, it's not as profitable as metallic, but you can mine in any ring type. Metal rich can be better for osmium than metallic, rocky has cobalt, and ice rings have lots of ores for missions.

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    The little chirping and giggling noises the limpets make are just delightful
    Agree!

I also set up the exterior camera so I can watch their little routine while listening to In the Hall of the Mountain King.

i use a controller on pc so i just pick my rock or iceberg and dump a prospector on it, switch to my mining laser and collector group. i hold the trigger and dump a couple limpets out after some fragments are there and let the trigger go when she says depleted. then i pick another one and repeat while watching the football (confederations cup) on tv.

mining missions are fun. i got 338000 cr and 3 days and 6 hours to go mine 10 units of lithium hydroxide (im farming rep to get alioth permit mission to access an engineer - who i will then need to mine 50t of brommelite for lol.). i just happen to have bookmarked an uninhabited system nearby with pristine reserves that has metal rich, rocky and icy rings. one jump out. drop in the ring. let the pirates scan that i have no cargo and jump out then i got it all to myself mostly. sometimes an npc miner is there, but i dont mine too close - my limpets tend to go retrieve THEIR fragments as well. while thats nice i dont really want risk an npc might turn hostile over it. none have yet, maybe they arent programmed for that much AI because im not directly scooping or something. i just feel like a pirate doing that. also they may be mining something i dont want because its bauxite or something lol.

It's a very restful activity, isn't it? I'm not in any danger of making huge amounts of cash yet, but I'm enjoying the change of pace.

http://i.imgur.com/FL89djF.jpg
    Yeah, mining in ice rings adds a minty effect too

Edit: If you don't fly away from where you dropped into the ring from SC, you may be hassled by pirates though.

One of us! One of us!

Mining is great, welcome to the club

Yea mining is fun very profitable when in pristine metallic rings with some thought process required so you don't get to tired then smash into an asteroid (like I've done a few times)

I don't mind it either in small sessions, but I would probably say its not as enjoyable as mining was in EVE. Mining seemed to scale up better, and became a coop things with other players, but also and perhaps more importantly the asteroids actually depleted, so you got a sense of accomplishment on mining out a location. With the static roids in ED, it lessens the appeal for me.

I've mostly done my mining in my AspX, but would the Python make a better miner? She's still pretty new and unoutfitted, I've been using it for cargo runs for commodities and missions, but now I'm thinking mining with it might be a good idea? Haven't found a good place for her in my everyday rotation yet I mostly stick with my DBX (explore), Dolphin (passengers), and AspX (missions). Not to derail the thread!

It's a very restful activity, isn't it? I'm not in any danger of making huge amounts of cash yet, but I'm enjoying the change of pace.
    I take Helga II my type-9 out occasionally. I see the odd mining mission with a high payout and will grab a few then head out to a couple handy spots.

And yes, mining is one of those things that is weirdly rewarding; I think it's something to do with the relatively 'rhythmic' nature, the sound of limpets collecting chunks and so on. I don't mean credits-rewarding, though, because who even mines for credits.

Originally Posted by Gol Senz View Post (Source)
    I've mostly done my mining in my AspX, but would the Python make a better miner? She's still pretty new and unoutfitted, I've been using it for cargo runs for commodities and missions, but now I'm thinking mining with it might be a good idea? Haven't found a good place for her in my everyday rotation yet I mostly stick with my DBX (explore), Dolphin (passengers), and AspX (missions). Not to derail the thread!
    Python is good if you are on a budget. I tend to recommend type-9 though; the view is stellar and type-9 is a tanky old cow, post armour and shield upgrades. I run a class 7 bi-weave, have heavy duty armour, modified thrusters and FSD; with ~370 MJ of thermal resistant shields, pirates aren't really a concern. Handles well too (thank you maniac grade 3 clean roll on D rated thrusters, with an obscene optimal mass stat).

Yes, I used the Python to unlock Selene and Bill ... she's the true multipurpose ship/winner in this game

I've mostly done my mining in my AspX, but would the Python make a better miner? She's still pretty new and unoutfitted, I've been using it for cargo runs for commodities and missions, but now I'm thinking mining with it might be a good idea?
    I haven't tried mining in a Python, but it probably would. My most successful mining was done in a Type-7, out near Jaques Station (before Colonia). You want some decent cargo space and (ideally) a fairly nimble ship. Then find a pristine metal ring and have at it.

For me, the mining strategy which works best is: Fire 1 to 3 shots at an asteroid, if you don't see what you're looking for move on (even if the asteroid has some of "it", the percentage is too low to be worthwhile). Once you've found a candidate, fire off a prospector limpet, to verify the asteroid is worth your time and to double the shards available. Then fire off your collection limpets. For speedy collection, your collection limpet controller should be large enough to control at least 4 limpets at a time.

I've mostly done my mining in my AspX, but would the Python make a better miner?
    A Python is at least twice as good as an Asp for mining. The Python has far more power in the distributor, with a 6A distributor you have enough power for two medium mining lasers - 3 with engineering. The Python also has far more modules space for collector controllers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast