Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat to my surprise, I'm rather enjoying mining

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    It's a very restful activity, isn't it? I'm not in any danger of making huge amounts of cash yet, but I'm enjoying the change of pace.

http://i.imgur.com/FL89djF.jpg
    stick some ludovico einaudi on in the background and let those limpets fly , for spells of extreme relaxation (to the point of eyes glazing over) i suggest logging in and out to spawn a few pirates to wake yourself up a bit

:edit or copious amounts of coffee (mines is a douwe egberts and double cream if you dont mind good sir!).

Thank you all for the advice! With that many positive outlooks and reviews it looks like I'll be setting up the Nerrivik for full-time mining operations! If you're ever around HR 6328 (on Xbox) look me up! I'm usually somewhere around there

Gol Senz, Xenobiologist
    Mahon Supporter for over 100 weeks!

Mining is a noble occupation. Who deserves the recognition of everyone

It really surprised me how much I enjoyed it too. Add a bit more gameplay to it and it would almost be a game in itself.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Plus everything you sell is pure profit
    It used to be an awesome method for affecting Influence, but it got killed when they nerfed the zero-cost trade exploit, and I haven't gone Mining in a dog's age.

Assistant Cultural Attaché for G 14-6
    Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps - Data Entry Clerk Second Class
    Alliance Office of Statistics - Kitchen Staff Supervisor

-[--->+<]>--.[--->+<]>--.---.[++>---<]>--.++[->+++<]>.+++++++++.+++.[-->+++++<]>+++.---[->++++<]>.------------.---.--[--->+<]>-.[->++<]>+.[--->+<]>+..---.--------.+++++++++++++.-----------.++.--[--->+<]>.

Originally Posted by NW3 View Post (Source)
    I haven't tried mining in a Python, but it probably would. My most successful mining was done in a Type-7, out near Jaques Station (before Colonia). You want some decent cargo space and (ideally) a fairly nimble ship. Then find a pristine metal ring and have at it.

For me, the mining strategy which works best is: Fire 1 to 3 shots at an asteroid, if you don't see what you're looking for move on (even if the asteroid has some of "it", the percentage is too low to be worthwhile). Once you've found a candidate, fire off a prospector limpet, to verify the asteroid is worth your time and to double the shards available. Then fire off your collection limpets. For speedy collection, your collection limpet controller should be large enough to control at least 4 limpets at a time.
    Here's my strategy...

Take on a mining mission, and check for other mining missions that ask for ores that can be found in the same type of asteroid field.

Fill my ship with as many limpets as possible and head for the rocks.

Fire off prospectors like I've got a hold full of limpets and need to make some space.

Once I've got some ores in my hold head out of the RES site so's to get less pirates shooting at me. I always aim for the planet to ensure I'm getting into an area with new rocks I haven't mined yet.

If I start to get too far away from the site my yield per asteroid might start to go down so I head back to the RES site. Shooting at pirates gives my NPC crew something to do.

Even after completing the orders for my missions I just keep going until I run out of cargo space and/or limpets

I decant my ores into my Python, selling off any dross at the mining station. After collecting on my missions I then go around other stations doing a mixture of cargo runs and checking to see if there are any missions for the ores already in my hold.

Rule (1) of Fighter Club is "We do not talk about Fight Club"

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...18#post4688218

It's a very restful activity, isn't it?
    As "restful" as keeping 17 balls in the air at one time can be! I tried it a few times, and micro-managing prospector and mining limpets, managing material bins, trying to position my ship so that the limpets crashed into things as little as possible, fending off NPC pirates, and running out of limpets because I hadn't correctly balanced the limpet use and cargo space, all gave me a head-ache

I accept and agree with any accusations that I am rubbish at mining, doing it all wrong, and would get better with practice, but after nearly a year, I haven't felt the desire to try it again.

Still, after 6 months of exploring, it might be nice to try something that requires a little coordination and thought

Did 500 tons in my Python for the Selene Jean invite.

It was kinda fun at first, santas little helpers are pretty cool but i ended up getting a bit motion sick watching roids spin in VR after a while.

Psyching myself up for the 50 Bromelite for Bill Turner. Really cbf at the moment.

It's a very restful activity, isn't it? I'm not in any danger of making huge amounts of cash yet, but I'm enjoying the change of pace.
    I totally agree.

I have done mining several times, just because, and no other reason. I like it. Just wish it was paying a bit more though, but that's it. And after my son gave me some tips how to deal with the NPC pirate that always shows up at first, then I can be left alone and just enjoy it.

Same goes for mining materials on planet with SRV. I like it. It takes time, but as long as I can find a planet without too tricky surface, I'm good.

Also, exploring long distance as well. I don't mind the jumping or the time it takes or the jump screen etc. It's the process that I like. Not that things have to happen right now, or that there has to be a million things of activity. Life is already hectic. And we live in an area where there are people all the time, everywhere, so I see this game as the place where I find some solitude. It's my "Get away from people simulator".

One player's grind is another player's game.

Originally Posted by MrFailfactory View Post (Source)
    I wish deep space Mining was a thing, but without permanent collector limpets, it really can't be. Sure, you can go out someplace where no one has been, and spend the time required to bring a hold full of X back, but you are going to be manually scooping the bulk of that X, which takes the wind out of the sails for me. I think a solid improvement for mining post-2.4 would be a new module like the Fighter Bays that stores/manufactures limpets.
    I'm in deep space, and I was thinking a little about mining as well out here, but the affect on the jump range having limpets, lasers, and refinery makes it less attractive. But it would honestly be a cool thing.

Mining isn't too bad, it could be better though. It's a nice change of pace.

One thing that could perhaps be better is that the asteroid actually getting broken up and destroyed in the process. Say, it breaks up by the lasers and only fragments among all the pieces are the ones the limpets go for. Would make it a little more realistic.

Somewhat to my surprise, I'm rather enjoying mining
    Mining is something still on my list of things to do, but I keep getting sidetracked.

On another note, I do like the way your ship is basically a big warning sign (does it have "Caution: wet floor" stamped underneath?).
    Duchess Commander Crank Larson

Twitch | YouTube

I more or less started my piloting career mining. It went a long way to paying for my Cobra. I too find it relaxing and occasionally go back to it. Much easier now with limpets of course, too easy perhaps (you obviously don't have to carry limpets)

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    Mining is something still on my list of things to do, but I keep getting sidetracked.

On another note, I do like the way your ship is basically a big warning sign (does it have "Caution: wet floor" stamped underneath?).
    If it's a warning sign then it should read "Caution: Pilot is incompetent"

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast