Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 77

Thread: Somewhat to my surprise, I'm rather enjoying mining

  1. #61
    Originally Posted by Watcher View Post (Source)
    I more or less started my piloting career mining. It went a long way to paying for my Cobra. I too find it relaxing and occasionally go back to it. Much easier now with limpets of course, too easy perhaps (you obviously don't have to carry limpets)
    I think that I lack the degree of masochism required to go scooping

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  2. #62
    Incidentally, I think Yamiks pretty much nailed it with his video 'The Miner':


    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  3. #63
    It can look really nice, and it's quite relaxing to do too.



    Elite
    | Elite | Elite | Looking for Match...

    FA-Off-Lord | Youtube Channel | /r/Elite_Dangerous Moderator Team

  4. #64
    Specially with yodel music

    It ain't much, if it is dutch...

  5. #65
    Enjoying the game is all about that: a regular change of pace.

    The big mistake I made once was mining with a cutter, aiming to fill the hold. You burn out before you finish. In fact I stopped at 30% cargo full.
    Zorgon Peterson Foxtrot Romeo India over o7

    My Explorer Profile on EDSM

  6. #66
    I love mining. Always looking for ways to shoehorn mining ability into my ships.

    I would love to see Frontier do a once or twice-over on mining, there's a number issues that could be improved.

  7. #67
    Originally Posted by CMDR Corlas View Post (Source)
    I love mining. Always looking for ways to shoehorn mining ability into my ships.

    I would love to see Frontier do a once or twice-over on mining, there's a number issues that could be improved.
    Being able to target a material (rather than a single chunk) would be good for a start.

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  8. #68
    In a ring, around a planet, excavating for the P's,
    Lived a miner, '49er, and his ship, The Clementine.

    Pirates pester, limpets expire, and the rocks they deplete,
    and when the hold is full he'll feast on synthetic meat.

    Oh my Darlin', oh my Darlin', oh my Darlin' Clementine,
    we've been out here for weeks now, still no Painite did we find.

  9. #69
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    In a ring, around a planet, excavating for the P's,
    Lived a miner, '49er, and his ship, The Clementine.

    Pirates pester, limpets expire, and the rocks they deplete,
    and when the hold is full he'll feast on synthetic meat.

    Oh my Darlin', oh my Darlin', oh my Darlin' Clementine,
    we've been out here for weeks now, still no Painite did we find.
    Bravo, sir, bravo!

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  10. #70
    Originally Posted by Rinzler o7o7o7 View Post (Source)
    It can look really nice, and it's quite relaxing to do too.

    http://i.imgur.com/d7NpJvZ.jpg
    *nod* it's been on my 'list of things to try' for a while now, but I never had the right ship. I don't want to make lots of trips,so a larger vessel was a must. I'd just bought an Anaconda, because it's one of those things you do, and was struggling to find a use for it. I was debating turning it into an exploration vessel, but I already have an AspX which is perfect for that role. So mining it was, and I'm glad I tried it. It's something I'll return to every so often.

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  11. #71
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    I think that I lack the degree of masochism required to go scooping
    lol, that's the only mining I've ever done. That's why I keep meaning to go back to it, as it seems a much nicer proposition now.
    Duchess Commander Crank Larson

    Twitch | YouTube

  12. #72
    Originally Posted by Friedenreich Xante View Post (Source)
    Enjoying the game is all about that: a regular change of pace.

    The big mistake I made once was mining with a cutter, aiming to fill the hold. You burn out before you finish. In fact I stopped at 30% cargo full.
    Did the same thing, but with a T-9...

    But, I enjoy mining and do it a lot. Nowdays I do it in an Anaconda. If I go out alone, I go with 128T cargospace, and 15 collector limpets... it takes about 30 minutes to fill it up and head back to sell. If I do wing mining, I will cut down to 11 collectors, but have 256T cargospace.

  13. #73
    I like mining too. Some things I would like to change that are annoying though.

    1. I don't really like the way every time you drop into a random ring spot (not a RES), NPCs spawn. Some times they are the system authority other times they are Pirates. It make no sense to me that they should be in the exact spot you drop in 100% of the time, this spoils immersion for me. I also find it irritating, especially in a system where they are all pirates. It's some thing that causes the player to want to log out and log back in to roll the dice,or even to combat log. When you are making players leave and rejoin the game to avoid things it means there is a game play problem.

    Another bad side effect of this game play mechanic I have had more than once: You are happily mining away, got a fairly large haul and the you get a disconnection. You log back in and there are pirates etc who spawn now trying to kill you. This just make me want to play some thing else.

    2. The other thing I would like to see with mining is the possibility to find a really good mining ring in some system you discovered and then know that you can go back there to a nice profitable ring. This could be something that is rare. As far as I can tell a pristine ring is a pristine ring with some lite RNG thrown in when you drop out to start mining. Eg, it is not possible to use your own imitative and search for a "golden band" amongst a ring etc and then return to it knowing it will be good.

  14. #74
    Originally Posted by JetJaguar View Post (Source)
    2. The other thing I would like to see with mining is the possibility to find a really good mining ring in some system you discovered and then know that you can go back there to a nice profitable ring. This could be something that is rare. As far as I can tell a pristine ring is a pristine ring with some lite RNG thrown in when you drop out to start mining. Eg, it is not possible to use your own imitative and search for a "golden band" amongst a ring etc and then return to it knowing it will be good.
    That's actually how the game works, more or less. If you find a 50% painite asteroid, you can leave the instance, come back later and, if you can find the same spot again, that same asteroid will be there (and the same others around it) with the same contents (I think after a 2hr materials respawn, once you've depleted). For obvious reasons, this is a LOT easier to do in an RES.

    When a ring systems is generated, it's not a a random collection of asteroids each time you pop in. The game knows each asteroid, where it should be, what it contains, and at what percentages. That data is the same for everyone. Only mined / un-mined states are per-client.

  15. #75
    Originally Posted by CMDR Corlas View Post (Source)
    That's actually how the game works, more or less. If you find a 50% painite asteroid, you can leave the instance, come back later and, if you can find the same spot again, that same asteroid will be there (and the same others around it) with the same contents (I think after a 2hr materials respawn, once you've depleted). For obvious reasons, this is a LOT easier to do in an RES.

    When a ring systems is generated, it's not a a random collection of asteroids each time you pop in. The game knows each asteroid, where it should be, what it contains, and at what percentages. That data is the same for everyone. Only mined / un-mined states are per-client.
    Hmm interesting, in some ways that is quite clever, but in another way it kind of sucks because I doubt they will ever give us way to go back to the same spot easily (by a user beacon for example) as it would be too easy to get a guaranteed good haul all the time (replenishing asteroids that can be farmed over and over) :/ In fact they probably would rather players did not know about that mechanic.

    I'd think rather have the ability to find a rare high yielding area, book mark it. Then it have the ability to be depleted gradually (to stop very OTT mining) or something like that .

    Perhaps the amount of data required to have the current system as is (but with user beacons) with the possibility to have them slowly be depleted would be too much to manage/ track.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast