Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifetime pass payback time

Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post (Source)
    From what I remember when I bought into the LEP there was no talk about Seasons to begin with.
    Pretty much this, despite my pessimism that FD are always one decision from doing something completely silly.

I purchased the LEP knowing that it was a risk, but happy that, if it succeeded, I wouldn't have to fork out extra dosh. Here's to FD honouring the LEP!

Purchased the lifetime pass and my only regret is that I did not buy one for my second account. As far as I know, Frontier has not shown any indication that they are going to ignore the lifetime pass holders. I for one, feel Frontier will do it right.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

bought the lifetime pass and promptly returned it after the announcement that planetary landings won't come to macs. haven't looked back since

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Not a kickstarter, not a lifetime pass holder, so I really don't have much to say about this, other than... this is an example of why I don't do these sorts of things. It's a risk, and largely an unnecessary one.
    Its highly speculation to think the LTP might end. It will continue, no matter what.
    I share Brabens dream for ED. I have nearly 25 week of ingame-Time.
    What ever changes in the way of Patch-dilivery: LTPs will stay active.
    Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.
    Per aspera ad astra!

EDSM.net - Profile Juniper Nomi'Tar
    -->> My Profile at Inara.cz <<--

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    So yes, I am concerned if money that could be used on ED development is being routed elsewhere. No panic buttons being hit yet though; as always I'd just like more info.
    I would not ever assume that E:⁠D has a big enough niche to float a company on its own especially with the slightly overenthusiastic projected cadence of paid expansions, so I would go full-on panic mode if they weren't actively diversifying with more mainstream franchises. They are self-published now (loath to use the term "indie"), so there is no big(ger) corporate behemoth sitting behind them to just give them the capital to do so.
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

Ubisoft allegedly has some 900 dollar editions of one of their franchises I've never played. I'd pay the price for a liftime thing within a blink of an eye would I have to choose, but I won't and I didn't - I mostly prefer to pay and know what I receive in return.

All the cogs and wheels stay still if it is the People's will.

It'll all be fine. There will be some good updates still I'm sure. And my LEP should cover that.
    "Seasons" was in my mind a more recent idea. All will be revealed.....

Flimley

Originally Posted by Crook View Post (Source)
    Like many here, I've got a lifetime pass. Some people via kickstarter, some paid into. When I jumped in with a lifetime pass, Horizons was for the future but it was known that season 2 would be in the £30-40 range. I thought that with a 10 year plan, maybe 5 seasons (or at least major updates such as Horizons), then it would, in the end, be worth it. I was kind of hoping for something as revolutionary as horizons for S3, 4 etc, but it seems like FD are running out of steam for major gameplay changes.

With a season 3 looking less likely and FD moving to a more random DLC method of delivery, do any of you other paid lifetime pass holders think that you'll get your monies worth from it in the end, or do you feel a little conned by the way things appear to be moving? I've not decided where on the side of the fence I lie at the moment.... (I guess it depends on S3 / 4 or whatever replaces the season idea)
    Dev is still ongoing, FDev are ticking along financially, and they've made many recent public statements that they're going to add more big ticket items. There doesn't seem to be much cause to panic on those fronts.

Lifetime Passes are always a punt, but this race doesn't seem to be over just yet

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    As we have no idea what the plans are for the next expansion, I would say it is probably better to wait a few months until they tell us what the actual plans are.
    Few months
    I waited a whole year for E3, I'm happy with 2.4 but please... give us some news already !
    I've seen Earth from space and now it doesn't look like home anymore...
    It feels more like a bed from which I woke up.

Originally Posted by Crook View Post (Source)
    Like many here, I've got a lifetime pass.
    Whats your /played?

What's that per hour, and do you feel it as value to *you*? External factors really are a bit moot.

DOOOOOM!!!!!
    https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=158
    Updated: Monday 28th September 2015
    The Lifetime Expansion Pass (LEP) is the virtual pass that grants players access to all future seasons of Elite Dangerous content released over the coming years, along with any Beta server test phases.
    I don't honestly believe DOOOOOM!!!!! is coming, but I am amused that the LEP FAQ page mentions seasons and seasons are no more

I'm a lifer and I have most definitely had my money's worth and some more.

I strongly suspect owners of the LEP will still get their content as part of what they have paid already. (I hate to phrase it "getting content for free" as we have paid; it's not free).
    Started with a Commodore 64, a tape deck and TV. Starting to show my age.
    Click here to see my screenshot album

I'm in the UK, which is currently UTC+1

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Not a kickstarter, not a lifetime pass holder, so I really don't have much to say about this, other than... this is an example of why I don't do these sorts of things. It's a risk, and largely an unnecessary one.
    I am confused at all the confusion.

Nope there is no risk whatsoever.
    FDev, Braben that is, already stated they intend to develop this unique spacesim for years to come.
    The only thing that changes is the way they will release the content to the public.

The way I see it is that FD is new at this thing.
    They have experimented with the season model and have come to the conclusion that it would be better to do the content delivery in a different way.
    That is fine by me. LEP is still LEP. The LEP is not tied to the season model at all.

The only thing I really care about is that this huge spacesim gets further development. I don't care about the method.
    Elite is unique in what it does and I want it to realize its potential.
    I hope to be there in 10 years (I hope less) when we get access to the upper layers of gas giants and are allowed to land on atmospheric planets with alien flora and fauna.
    I am so incredibly curious about the experience.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney View Post (Source)
    I don't honestly believe DOOOOOM!!!!! is coming, but I am amused that the LEP FAQ page mentions seasons and seasons are no more
    Initially they were talking about 'expansions', hence the name: Lifetime Expansion Pass.
    Later they introduced the Seasons delivery method.
    No matter what they call it, seasons, expansions, updates, patches, add-ons... it doesn't matter to me at all.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

I got myself one, and one for my brother.

Does that answer your question?
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

I have a LEP back from Beta, and I'm quite happy with it. I'm sticking with Elite for the long haul, and I'm safe in the knowledge that all new content won't cost me anything at all. I have no problems buying paintjobs etc, from time to time either.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast