Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifetime pass payback time

Don't pre-order, and never buy lifetime passes. They're some of the most anti-consummer schemes ever conceived, the developper has no incentive to provide a good product after you've given money, and in the case of a lifetime pass they can safely ignore everything you say as there's very little to sell you anymore.

I'm afraid I have very little sympathy for the grievances of LTEP owners.

I sort of expect never to pay for a feature or content update on either of my accounts that have LEP. I would be very surprised id FD went back on the spirit of a "lifetime" pass, because they changed their content/feature distribution model. As long as I do not pay for any updates, I generally hope FD find a happy point where the community purchases updates, FD can predict their income. Well actually I care for my 3rd account.

I'm finding the "only vague promises", just a tad ironic at the moment - as the one thing a lot of people, myself in the community are clamouring for is .... some vauge promises about the future, you know a sort of roadmap!

Simon

Originally Posted by JonLuis69 View Post (Source)
    I am copy/pasting my reply from another thread for your consideration.

"Here is the thing: What if FD are simply moving to full and complete expansions rather than piecemeal expansions?

Everyone seems to think the plan is small, dlc content, but that would be a nightmare.

I think their change in plan is to only release future expansions once fully ready and flesh out the existing game as they go along."

Be careful what you ask for you just might get it.
    Even the most critical forum member would jump at the chance to pay £30 for the full horizons update in one download.
    Yet you trickle that content out and you're in for a running commentary,broadcasting across the internet how dreadful it all is.
    Thats no way to butter ones parsnip!

Originally Posted by Jukelo View Post (Source)
    Don't pre-order, and never buy lifetime passes. They're some of the most anti-consummer schemes ever conceived, the developper has no incentive to provide a good product after you've given money, and in the case of a lifetime pass they can safely ignore everything you say as there's very little to sell you anymore.

I'm afraid I have very little sympathy for the grievances of LTEP owners.
    Quoting for truth.

Let's hope they didn't mean a life time in the game. Have you ever been blown up and destroyed. ..... does that mean life hehe.. oops sorry

Why don't we burn this bridge when we get to it? If it needs burning then. No reason to start worrying now, or we would be worried twice when the time comes. Any other sayings I'm forgetting?

S

Worry is like a rocking horse. It keeps you busy, but doesn't get you anywhere!

Originally Posted by Sysmon View Post (Source)
    Why don't we burn this bridge when we get to it? If it needs burning then. No reason to start worrying now, or we would be worried twice when the time comes. Any other sayings I'm forgetting?

S
    We're already 6 months overdue. I think now is as good a time as any.

The amount of money I've spent on Elite utterly dwarfs the amount of money I've sent to FDev (I have a sweet sweet HOTAS setup etc. I'm saving to get VR for it too...) so I have no regrets on that drop-in-the-bucket cost of the lifetime pass. The real value of the lifetime pass for me has been that I can safely take breaks from the game for months at a time and not miss out on things. Eg I log in for the first time in a few months and find out that months ago there was some limited opportunity that I didn't know about before the deadline expired, to get sweet midnight black ship paints via a pre-order, and that window long ago closed. BUT... No problem! All that cool stuff has been automagically added to my account, just sitting there waiting for me to discover it!

In fact I wish there were more cool things that offered this sort of lifetime pass. It's almost like some kind of lifestyle insurance - if I lose my job and have to abruptly adapt to living very frugally, it's really nice to have some Nice Things that just keep on giving without requiring any further spending

When I bought the LEP I considered that I'd already had that money's worth. Having said that, I still expect FD to deliver.

Having the LEP, I have to say I'm a little let down, but....I'm still looking forward to what the game has coming in the future. No regrets!

Though it would be nice if they threw us the occasional ascetic freebie from the FD store. *nudge nudge*

The LEP has been nothing compared with the cost of my new computer that had to go with it

I'd buy the LP now if they offered it. 100 bucks or so

I have the LEP and have no worries. In all it works out to be about $1 for every 10 hours of entertainment I've had in this game. A movie is $1 per 12 minutes of entertainment.
    Can't go wrong with stats like that.

The LEP was always a risk, but it's my risk and no-one else's.
    I have full confidence in FD to deliver.

I have a lifetime pass too. Alpha Backer and I sunk way way too much into this game, fortunately back before I had a kid, couldn't get away with it now.

But I think Frontier are making the right decision post-Horizons. We really need to pause, reflect, consider at this point and flesh out some of the basic gameplay features (and new content will be added as we go). Time to go back and make some bad things good and good things better.

I'm disappointed Earthlikes and Space Legs aren't coming soon, but its clear we have to prioritise in making the base game better.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast