Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifetime pass payback time

Lifetime pass payback time

Like many here, I've got a lifetime pass. Some people via kickstarter, some paid into. When I jumped in with a lifetime pass, Horizons was for the future but it was known that season 2 would be in the £30-40 range. I thought that with a 10 year plan, maybe 5 seasons (or at least major updates such as Horizons), then it would, in the end, be worth it. I was kind of hoping for something as revolutionary as horizons for S3, 4 etc, but it seems like FD are running out of steam for major gameplay changes.

With a season 3 looking less likely and FD moving to a more random DLC method of delivery, do any of you other paid lifetime pass holders think that you'll get your monies worth from it in the end, or do you feel a little conned by the way things appear to be moving? I've not decided where on the side of the fence I lie at the moment.... (I guess it depends on S3 / 4 or whatever replaces the season idea)
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=52428&dateline=1417008331

Originally Posted by Crook View Post (Source)
    Like many here, I've got a lifetime pass. Some people via kickstarter, some paid into. When I jumped in with a lifetime pass, Horizons was for the future but it was known that season 2 would be in the £30-40 range. I thought that with a 10 year plan, maybe 5 seasons (or at least major updates such as Horizons), then it would, in the end, be worth it. I was kind of hoping for something as revolutionary as horizons for S3, 4 etc, but it seems like FD are running out of steam for major gameplay changes.

With a season 3 looking less likely and FD moving to a more random DLC method of delivery, do any of you other paid lifetime pass holders think that you'll get your monies worth from it in the end, or do you feel a little conned by the way things appear to be moving? I've not decided where on the side of the fence I lie at the moment.... (I guess it depends on S3 / 4 or whatever replaces the season idea)
    Not yet and probably not ever if they deliver on the potential

27 ingame weeks. Does that answer your question?

But all done in anticipation of further development. I would be disappointed if Frontier will stop developing the game. But I don´t see a sign that this is going to happen, just a (stupid) delay in development at the moment.

Neues deutsches Forum: www.elite-commanders.de
    Mark Allen: "While it's true that the PvP crowd do tend to be more vocal and in previous betas have given more organised feedback, we're well aware that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP." (22nd of Nov, 2016)

As we have no idea what the plans are for the next expansion, I would say it is probably better to wait a few months until they tell us what the actual plans are.

we don't know for sure the charging model going forwards, so how can we possibly know. Also, the value of something is purely subjective and personal so again.. we don't know.

only when looking back on the game when it's done in development and the servers shut down and in hindsight can we truly answer the question

Crook talking about being conned ?

All is good here, so much so that I have spent same amount in the store probably(£300 total I think)

Originally Posted by iFred View Post (Source)
    27 ingame weeks. Does that answer your question?

But all done in anticipation of further development. I would be disappointed if Frontier will stop developing the game. But I don´t see a sign that this is going to happen, just a (stupid) delay in development at the moment.
    I don't think they have stopped working on the game, it's just that some of the stuff they are actively developing is not ready for release.

Life time owner here, I had pretty much the same motivations like you and decided it was worth the risk and bite the bullet incase things go south. As of today I feel a little indifferent, we still dont know what is up to come. All I know is that I am in for the ride anyway.

However I would have totaly loved to get some extras for being such a loyal customer like exclusive cosmetics, decals etc. Still dont understand why that option was never on the table, since its a normal practice for many other games.

I bought the lifetime pass, but went in eyes open. There's always the chance the company could fold, the game could die, I could die...whatever. It was that or a Star Citizen purchase...How's that going BTW?
    My YouTube Channel: [REDACTED - Recent content breaks forum rules]

I am copy/pasting my reply from another thread for your consideration.

Here is the thing: What if FD are simply moving to full and complete expansions rather than piecemeal expansions?

Everyone seems to think the plan is small, dlc content, but that would be a nightmare.

I think their change in plan is to only release future expansions once fully ready and flesh out the existing game as they go along.

By the time the dust settles on ED in 2025, the cash will be long gone and I won't worry about it, but I think in hindsight the cost was too high considering what they've done with it. I'm not sure if it warrants anger at them for the overprice or dismay that the cash didn't bring me more.

I can't imagine spending £300 in the store though, esp if that's all digital assets. This isn't star citizen you know.......
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=52428&dateline=1417008331

How awesome and yet boring for you to be so clairvoyant.

Lifetime passes are a gamble. It's a bit early to talk about sunsetting the game though. I for one do expect significant development going further, still.

We don't know enough to say anything about this topic.
    From my personal history: i have bought lifetime accounts only for a few games. Two of them changed the payment model at a later time. In either case, us owners of lifetime accounts were not only considered, but even got very good conditions. Based on this i dare to hope that if/when the payment model here is changed, we lifetime owners again end up being envied by the rest.
    Of course things can turn out different, but i yet have to experience such a conversion where the owners of lifetime accounts really lost out, so i think we can remain optimistic. At some time Frontier will have to tell us how they plan to go on and while they can mess this up, i consider it unlikely. Game companies usually are not too eager to dispose of their playerbase and generally only do so when they have their back to the financial wall. I don't think Frontier is -that- desperate.
    Docking Rank: Dangerous

The fact that they don't do seasons any more doesn't mean that I as a LEP owner won't be getting free updates anymore.
    From what I remember when I bought into the LEP there was no talk about Seasons to begin with.

So whatever system FD uses to deliver content is fine by me. It doesn't make any difference at all.
    I can't see why this should be made into another problem.

Recently David Braben said in an interview that they hope to bring new content for even more than a decade to come.
    The delivery method doesn't matter. Who cares about seasons? I don't.

I think this thread is a waste of energy.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast