Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifetime pass payback time

2000 hours in game time. So my answer to your question is:

Are you kidding me?

I've had more than my money's worth of enjoyment.

It's already paid for itself twice over for me. Long may it continue.
    Je suis Sidewinder - Image credit Cmdr Moozipan - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Thread tl:dr.

Hey lifetime pass guys, there are many of us that started this game much later than you.

Do we care less? No.
    Are we less involved? No.
    Do we want a Cobra MkIV? No. Well, yes actually but well done you.
    Does your opinion matter more than Hibachi's, who only started playing the game in January? No.
    Is Hibachi going to keep sticking his hand into his wallet to keep playing this game? Yes.

Hibachi, loves the game. Apart from when he doesn't...*

*any more of those sixteen hour CGs and Hibachi might throw some toys out of the Sidewinder!
    "When I started, they told me I only needed three chords and the truth... It turned out I could manage with two and some vague ideas." Joe Strummer.

Originally Posted by Jukelo View Post (Source)
    I'm afraid I have very little sympathy for the grievances of LTEP owners.
    What grievances? - you get everything for the lifetime of the game. Nothing will change.

People on these forums just seem to want to find new ways to worry about nothing.
    Surround Triple 27" Monitors, Track IR, Joystick, Pedals, Headset, Keyboard, Xbox Controller ( SRV ) & lots of wires everywhere.

Originally Posted by Crook View Post (Source)
    Like many here, I've got a lifetime pass. Some people via kickstarter, some paid into. When I jumped in with a lifetime pass, Horizons was for the future but it was known that season 2 would be in the £30-40 range. I thought that with a 10 year plan, maybe 5 seasons (or at least major updates such as Horizons), then it would, in the end, be worth it. I was kind of hoping for something as revolutionary as horizons for S3, 4 etc, but it seems like FD are running out of steam for major gameplay changes.

With a season 3 looking less likely and FD moving to a more random DLC method of delivery, do any of you other paid lifetime pass holders think that you'll get your monies worth from it in the end, or do you feel a little conned by the way things appear to be moving? I've not decided where on the side of the fence I lie at the moment.... (I guess it depends on S3 / 4 or whatever replaces the season idea)
    100x OVER! How are you not getting your money's worth out of ED? Entertainment value would be in the cents per hour.

Also the '10 year plan' was not something known at kickstarter time, just saying.

While I worry about the speed of development, and I have questions about where all the money went.

I got in during the beta, at that stage it was effectively a Kickstarter with a promise of features not a guarantee. So if ED stopped tommorow I just see that as the risk I took. Same goes for other Kickstarter I've backed. Of course the biggest for me is SC, if that goes belly up, sure I'll be angry at first, but if you get involved with this kind of funding model you have to also accept the risk and features not being completed.

The only thing that frustrates me is not knowing what is going on. This is where Fdev could learn a lot CIG.

Originally Posted by Aussiedroid View Post (Source)
    100x OVER! How are you not getting your money's worth out of ED? Entertainment value would be in the cents per hour.

Also the '10 year plan' was not something known at kickstarter time, just saying.
    To address your first (good) point, currently I have less value per hour than if I'd just bought the Horizons expansion for £40 IIRC (at the time).

For the second point, the LEP was made available again just before Horizons was released, as I mentioned above I paid £120 for that.

While in terms of value per hour I agree I've done pretty well, I think the point is that right now any value coming from that extra £80 I paid has not come to pass.

Now I understand that deadlines slip, and I'm reasonably confident that FD will eventually provide at least some post-horizons content, I am frustrated by the lack of information, let alone content beyond the second season. The secrecy seems excessive, and as Jukelo said earlier in this thread, they have little motivation to hit their targets any more because they already have the LEP money from us muppets that decided to put our money on their ability to deliver.

2.0 was the last update delivered on time at the end of 2015, communication (dev updates etc) dropped off dramatically from around March 2016, 2.1 was then delayed because they wanted to 'do it right', since then communication has dried up & no ETAs have been given, it's all just when they get around to it it seems.

The quality of neither the content designs nor the stability have noticeably improved to justify the delays, and in several cases significant unintended behaviour has been left in the game for long periods. 2.0 introduced a couple of pretty major AI bugs for example, which were left in the game for 8+ months.

I just want to know what's going on.

Originally Posted by Steve50 View Post (Source)
    I have a lifetime pass but do I think it was worth it? no.
    During 2012 I was hyped up and thinking this would be the Elite IV I've dreamed about for many years, sadly it's changed so much from the initial promises that imo it no longer has the feel of Elite and the way the game is heading (ie:- purely pewpewpew, appease the FPS kids etc etc) I don't see this changing. If I had my time again then no, there is no way I'd burn £200 on this, to most that's not a lot of money but to me it is, heck I even sold several things to raise the money back then. What a fool I was.

As for dropping the "seasons" idea, well the excuse is that people find it complex to understand. I'm sorry, but are people REALLY that stupid?? C'mon now.

I can't help but think this "new" way of delivering the updates is going to make lifetime passes null and void.
    You kidding? There's only one way LEPs would become void and that would be the re-release as a new game down the line: Elite: Deadly. As long as it's Elite: Dangerous we LEP holders are entitled to all expansions. Frontier can't null and void that, if they did the PR damage would be irrepairable, truly. So a couple of reasons a) I trust Frontier b) Even if I didn't it'd be a damned fool move. And Frontier aren't damn fools. A bit silly sometimes, but never damn fools.

I have the life time expansion and I will not pay for any expansion whatsoever. The game doesn't worth it.

Originally Posted by Harmoniser View Post (Source)
    The only thing that frustrates me is not knowing what is going on. This is where Fdev could learn a lot CIG.
    We have the 2 opposites here. The super secretive FD and the wide open CIG.

I had much more information from Star Citizen in this E3 than Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen didn't even went to the E3!

The ONLY thing we got from ED in this E3 was an announcement trailer, thats all. And we already knew about the aliens.

Overall, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of elite. I can only think of a handful of games I've played more, and elite easily makes the top 6 (Civ IV, Oblivion, Skyrim, Guildwars 1, and Eve probably come out ahead on time spent)...so money well spent. Would be kinda ***** if they started locking actual content (not just cosmetics) behind paywalls for people with lifetime passes tho.

Not sure what the problem is for a lot of folk, but FD have said they are moving to put improve the core gameplay, which to me is likely going to mean a better game than simply adding more bolt on parts that are never really properly fleshed out.

A good C&P system would be worthwhile.

Proper piracy mechanics...

Engaging exploration mechanics...

Heat maps on planet surfaces to better locate mats...

Geez, even conflict zones taking place at the stations that the conflict is about, with traders needing to run the gauntlet to get in, then needing to wait for the blast doors to open, with a 20 second window (or whatever).

None of these would be "headline", but geez, they'd make the game far more fun and interesting.

There are plenty of ideas out there, and this game seriously needs some depth added, as good as it is, it can be truly great...

Z...
    CMDR Barefoot Bandit
    Pilot of The Golden Phallus™

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Originally Posted by Sonof Hibachi View Post (Source)
    Thread tl:dr.

Hey lifetime pass guys, there are many of us that started this game much later than you.

Do we care less? No.
    Are we less involved? No.
    Do we want a Cobra MkIV? No. Well, yes actually but well done you.
    Does your opinion matter more than Hibachi's, who only started playing the game in January? No.
    Is Hibachi going to keep sticking his hand into his wallet to keep playing this game? Yes.

Hibachi, loves the game. Apart from when he doesn't...*

*any more of those sixteen hour CGs and Hibachi might throw some toys out of the Sidewinder!
    If I could donate my Cobra MKIV to you, I would!
    Explorer, bounty hunter, trader, snuggler.
    Current activity: [ Second account ]
    Combat: [ Elite ] Trade: [ Elite ] Exploration: [ Elite ]
    Federation: [ Admiral ]Empire: [ King ]

Engineers: [ 100% Unlocked ]

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    I just want to know what's going on.
    Here here.

CMDR VIN DELANOS
    CEO, Delanos Logistics Group
    Mercenary, war-profiteer, all around sweet guy.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast