Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutter vs. Corvette Coriolis stats doesn't add up?

Why does Coriolis show an unengineered 8A shield cell bank having 5 cells instead of 4?

Trying to decide whether you should fly a Cutter or Corvette?
    Combat (Deadly) - Trade (Elite) - Exploration (Pathfinder) - Empire (Duke) - Federation (Rear Admiral)
    Fleet
    Federal Corvette (Neil Tyson) - $: 940 million
    Anaconda (Christopher Hitchens) - $: 802 million
    Imperial Cutter (Hitchslap) - $: 1080 million
    Imperial Cutter (Hambeast) - $: 317 million
    Imperial Clipper (Richard Dawkins) - $: 157 million
    Asp Explorer (Sam Harris) - $: 28.5 million

Balance: 1350 million

Originally Posted by timbero View Post (Source)
    I say both if you got the credits.

Originally Posted by SP45M View Post (Source)
    Why does Coriolis show an unengineered 8A shield cell bank having 5 cells instead of 4?
    because it has 5 recharges.
    ___

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

I love my Cutter like crazy, but the Corvette is a MUCH better combat ship for three very significant reasons: Class 8 Power Distributor, *significantly* better agility, two huge hardpoints that rip apart massive ships.

Please understand the difference: The Cutter is a multipurpose trader that can fight. Corvette is a combat ship that can trade. Big difference.

Originally Posted by timbero View Post (Source)
    No, I fly a Corvette, but seeing so many PVPers flying Cutter, I decided to have a look at the outcome of a simulated fight, and was slightly surprised. I love my Corvette, but was thinking those PVPers would have a solid reason to fly Cutter. But in the end, even the 8A prismatic will eventually drop. The only downside of the Corvette: if it gets hot, running away will be tricky.
    Zorgon Peterson Foxtrot Romeo India over o7

My Explorer Profile on EDSM

Originally Posted by Friedenreich Xante View Post (Source)
    No, I fly a Corvette, but seeing so many PVPers flying Cutter, I decided to have a look at the outcome of a simulated fight, and was slightly surprised. I love my Corvette, but was thinking those PVPers would have a solid reason to fly Cutter. But in the end, even the 8A prismatic will eventually drop. The only downside of the Corvette: if it gets hot, running away will be tricky.
    I find the biggest disadvantage of the Corvette is the low top speed. The only ships it can keep up with is the Type 9 and Anaconda, all other ships can outrun it.

I've tried to mitigate it using packhounds and 500-600 m/s SLFs, but it only helps a bit, doesn't really solve the problem.
    Combat (Deadly) - Trade (Elite) - Exploration (Pathfinder) - Empire (Duke) - Federation (Rear Admiral)
    Fleet
    Federal Corvette (Neil Tyson) - $: 940 million
    Anaconda (Christopher Hitchens) - $: 802 million
    Imperial Cutter (Hitchslap) - $: 1080 million
    Imperial Cutter (Hambeast) - $: 317 million
    Imperial Clipper (Richard Dawkins) - $: 157 million
    Asp Explorer (Sam Harris) - $: 28.5 million

Balance: 1350 million

That shield won't drop as fast as a Corvette's. Something is wrong there. Not only does the Corvette only have the ability to fit a class-7 shield, it's base shield value is lower than the Cutter. Either way, I wouldn't say one or the other is objectively better. They both have weaknesses that their strengths barely make up for. You can't go wrong no matter which one you prefer.

The cutter has much stronger shields and a higher top speed. The corvette has slightly more DPS and two huge hardpoints which helps once the shields are down, a bigger distributor, and turns faster. I personally prefer using EDSHIPYARD to compare builds and engineer effects.

I personally went with the cutter, and kinetic weapons so distributor draws are lesser and I can run 4 pips to shields for prolonged exchanges. If I get a corvette someday I'll probably fit it with plasma. If I want to have fun with maneuverability I'll fly a small ship or the SLF.

Personally I prefer the anaconda for lasering down PVE ships. It's ginormous DPS against small ships is awesome - with efficient pulse and burst lasers it can fry ships with great speed.

The simple Cutter vs Corvette answer, from my experience:

The Cutter controls the fight duration, distance, and when to end it with the speed and mass-lock advantage.
    The Corvette will maul a Cutter that stays within maneuvering range.

It doesn't really matter which one you pick for PVP because both ships can walk from the fight if they choose to do so. If a Corvette pulls an FA-OFF boosted reversie, the Cutter will give chase; Boost straight at it and avoid the temptation to ram it, because when you pass a 450m/s Cutter going 350m/s the other way, you'll be 4km away from it before it has even turned around with an FA-OFF boosted turn. Perhaps one of these mythical 550m/s Cutters could catch up in time, but I've yet to see one outside of these forums, and even if I use a cheating "god-rolll" 42% G5DD, I still can't get Coriolis to make a Cutter beyond 485m/s in combat spec.

The Corvette is awesome, but its abysmal top speed is more than a little befuddling. Speed is an extremely important asset in combat, and combat is the Corvette's primary role. It'd be perfectly reasonable to increase its top speed by around 50 m/s or so.

I've been playing around with Coriolis to see which of those mighty ship would win on the paper, flying skills aside.

So I got this Corvette vs. this Cutter.

Similar loadout and Engineering. Emphasise lying on similar!

Corvette has slightly higher Hull, Cutter has MUCH higher shields. Although the Corvette does 20 DPS more, I would have expected them to both hold their ground quite good and the Cutter winning in the End. I was already disapointed as I just bought and combat-fitted a quite similar Corvette. But...

Que néni!

Corvette holds his shields for 9:18 and armor for 7:18 while
    Cutter holds his shields for only 5:00 and armor for tiny 1:28!!! In a static front attack the Cutter would be dead before Scratching the Corvette's hull

The Cutter could make up for that with his manoeuvrability, but I'm not really sure about that.

I know Coriolis is not overly accurate, but What The F?
    You're a silly bear. You didn't make the pips equal! Lol.

Corvette is@ 2-0-4
    Cutter is@ 2-2-2

GIGO.

If you reset the pips to both equal 4-0-2 (and give the Corvette a 2nd SCB like you're supposed to) then you'll see they are roughly equal on paper with a slight edge going to the Corvette

That's theory craft however. In reality the Cutter will just ram the relatively stationary Corvette and wipe out it's Shields before it can even use its SCBs. Or if the Corvette player is better, the Cutter will just run away since it's faster and can't be mass locked by the Corvette.

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post (Source)
    The Corvette is awesome, but its abysmal top speed is more than a little befuddling. Speed is an extremely important asset in combat, and combat is the Corvette's primary role. It'd be perfectly reasonable to increase its top speed by around 50 m/s or so.
    It's not that bad, I can easily stay at 350 mps with afterburner (decent G5 dirty drive and god roll charge enhanced distributor). I've just started modding what I can on it as lightweight so I should be able to push that up.

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post (Source)
    The very fact that this conversation is being had would seem to indicate that the corvette does not need more speed, and that it would be detrimental to any choice/balance between the two ships.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    You're a silly bear. You didn't make the pips equal! Lol.

Corvette is@ 2-0-4
    Cutter is@ 2-2-2

GIGO.

If you reset the pips to both equal 4-0-2 (and give the Corvette a 2nd SCB like you're supposed to) then you'll see they are roughly equal on paper with a slight edge going to the Corvette

That's theory craft however. In reality the Cutter will just ram the relatively stationary Corvette and wipe out it's Shields before it can even use its SCBs. Or if the Corvette player is better, the Cutter will just run away since it's faster and can't be mass locked by the Corvette.

Fair try pal, but when comparing two ships, I Import the other ship in the first ships session. That way, I can compare both of them on the same Screen, and they both have the same pip Management at any given time

Unfortunately, I cannot send the URL of the comparison itself, I have to send the URLs of each ship.

So let me just Show you how you do the comparison:

1. Save each ship under any Name you want.
    2. Choose one ship and click on "export" in the "settings" menu on top right
    3. Copy the code
    4. Go to the other ship
    5. Under "settings", choose "import"
    6. Paste the code
    7. Click on "proceed"
    8. Select the imported ship as the opponent ship
    9. Look at the stats

Oh and by the way, in my book, the one who chickens out looses, and ramming does equal damage to both side
    Zorgon Peterson Foxtrot Romeo India over o7

My Explorer Profile on EDSM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast