Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do you explorers do it?

Originally Posted by Kayin View Post (Source)
    I can't stand the fact that no matter where I go in this enormous galaxy, everything looks the damn same. I mean, it's kind of fine when doing things like mining, engineering, fighting, gaming the economies, etc... but exploring? How do you explore the basically same solar system over and over?

I'm actually serious. There are people exploring for months at a time. How do you do it? What's the joy for you?
    You know, a lot of the planets do have the same beige color, however if you look in our solar system I don't think beige is so dominate. Even Obsidian Ant has mentioned this is his videos.

Maybe FD can add some variety in with 2.4?

There's more than one reason to explore. Some do it for the joy of discovering things. There's an engineer that wants you to travel over 5k ly. I do it to collect data for the BGS. I'm sure there are other things that exploring does as well.

Sure, it might look rather beige on the surface, but it depends on your goal. It's just another tool in the BGS box for me.

I can't stand the fact that no matter where I go in this enormous galaxy, everything looks the damn same. I mean, it's kind of fine when doing things like mining, engineering, fighting, gaming the economies, etc... but exploring? How do you explore the basically same solar system over and over?

I'm actually serious. There are people exploring for months at a time. How do you do it? What's the joy for you?
    Alcohol.

Originally Posted by Armstronium View Post (Source)
    Hello online doppelganger. I too am a fan of long distance cycling AND exploration in Elite Dangerous..... There's something nice about heading out with no idea exactly of where you'll end up. My longest trips have been 187 miles and 2k ly
    Hi, nice to meet you! My longest trips have been 134 miles and ~140K lys (to Beagle Point and back).

Explorers do it in the dark with probes.

I am doing it to find the stuff I will need to do other things in the future.

I now have two 100% metal land-able planets that both are over 8.5% vanadium.

I have 4 systems with multiple land-able planets/moons that are all 30%+ metal and as best I can tell, each of those systems should have almost every synthesis material needed for FSDI, and all the stuff for SRV operations. I have a further dozen 30+% metal land-able planets/moons.

Wanted to do an update here. This thread made me go do some actual inventory. Of the 4 systems, one has 22/25, two have 24 of 25 and ONE HAS ALL 25 all on uninhabited planets/moons. This particular system has 18 planets/moons with greater than 32% metal.

Add to this some 2 dozen unexploited systems with metal rich asteroid belts and/or planetary rings and/or 30+% land-able planets/moons.

I have a complete system now listed as me for first discovery. It is a pretty mundane system with no land-able planets, but it is mine.

I am on a cell phone internet service and routinely have 200 ms pings times. I am also using a less than recommended GPU. So playing in OPEN and having over engineered psychopaths killing me just because they can doesn't appeal to me and even if I went over engineered so I could fight back, that lag and the GPU would make it difficult.

I did my first long distance run, 7k out and 7 back, when I had to for the engineer.
    I'm glad I did it, just to say I did, but to me it was like being stuck in a bad relationship. At least with ppl when you're board of each other you can pack a bag and move on.
    This however was different. When I was 6k out and bored out my mind, I was struck with the realization that I was going to waking up every morning still looking at her stupid face! Lol
    Never again.
    However I do LOVE the site seeing missions.
    I stack like 4, I go out for 2 hours, see some cool stuff, and return everyone for a crazy payout.
    Get in My Beluga, pack a bowl, and a little Pink Floyd. That's good stuff right there to unwind from the grind

if you have to ask, I don't think you'll ever be satisfied with the answer. Only those that have an answer really understand it. It's a mental attitude and preference. I'm more of a treasure hunter type explorer, so the views aren't ever going to cut it as a reward. Then again, if the list of things to find were as variable as a Star Trek adventure, I might be more inclined to be fine with views. Might also be better when we can actually land on interesting planets and find things. Basically, it needs to be more than just taking a picture like a tourist, I want to interact. Many people are just fine with locating bodies and snapping a picture though and I don't think there's a way to explain it that would be satisfying to others, at least not to me.

I can't stand the fact that no matter where I go in this enormous galaxy, everything looks the damn same.
    Which begs the question, where have you been in this galaxy?

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    But yes you are correct, and it's why I'm not playing at all right now, not until exploration gets improved. After it got worse during the 2.5 years of playing, well I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. Maybe after a long break I'll come back, hopefully 3.0 does a lot to improve the situation.
    We are continouosly at odds regarding this topic. I think stuff improved alltogether while you are right about metallic worlds losing color. On the other hand, textures are MUCH nicer, rocky ice worlds actually have ice cap looking features, and volcanism means there are stuff actually looking for. On the other hand, worlds pre 2.2 were not paradise either, I remember myself passing most planets.
    Sure, bot of us played 100s of hours, and that makes a difference when comparing Horizons fresh out of the owen and 6 months later on with minor tweaks.

Anyone who is new to this experience -and looks for this- will be blown away like I was.

I would get myself around 6K from the bubble, and loop around, doing an hour of exploring each day. I'd often have talk radio on (BBC Radio 4) which complemented the exploring routine. I'd learn on Earth while exploring the galaxy.

People have differing personalities, and exploring ticked my boxes.

Cheers, Phos.

Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    I prefer having to hunt for gems as opposed to other games where every system in space resembles my early 20's Psychedelic Mushroom phase.
    We don't know what you could *possibly* mean!

Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    personally I prefer having to hunt for gems as opposed to other games where every system in space resembles my early 20's Psychedelic Mushroom phase.
    whereas Elite resembles the 70's obsession with brown?

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    I'd still be playing NMS if they had ED's equivalent of fuel scooping, just to find more of those gems.
    This so much. Exploring was such a chore.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast