Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you explorers do it?

How do you explorers do it?

I can't stand the fact that no matter where I go in this enormous galaxy, everything looks the damn same. I mean, it's kind of fine when doing things like mining, engineering, fighting, gaming the economies, etc... but exploring? How do you explore the basically same solar system over and over?

I'm actually serious. There are people exploring for months at a time. How do you do it? What's the joy for you?

It can be a bit like a zen activity. Not unlike fishing or hiking. To have set a goal of reaching the center of the galaxy, Colonia, Beagle Point, circumnavigating the galaxy, and more. Naturally, many explorers also fortify themselves with distractions - video series displayed on a secondary screen, good food, drink, snacks and such.

I mix it up with M&M's or jelly babies. Which ever colour comes out first is what I'll be hunting for that playsession
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

Originally Posted by Kayin View Post (Source)
    I can't stand the fact that no matter where I go in this enormous galaxy, everything looks the damn same. I mean, it's kind of fine when doing things like mining, engineering, fighting, gaming the economies, etc... but exploring? How do you explore the basically same solar system over and over?

I'm actually serious. There are people exploring for months at a time. How do you do it? What's the joy for you?
    The simple fact that not every system looks the same, the bulk of them do. For me personally, exploration is about finding those gem systems.

After 2+ years in Elite, I'd say I've found roughly 40 deep space systems that are absolutely stunning, many more that still look amazing in VR, the rest are just your average M class System or Brown dwarf system.

You only have to take a look at the exploration screenshot threads, some pretty mind blowing combinations to be found out there... It is all about perseverance, personally I prefer having to hunt for gems as opposed to other games where every system in space resembles my early 20's Psychedelic Mushroom phase.
    Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream...

There are several ways to do it. Personally I started with relatively short trips (3 or 4 k Ly). I suggest starting small and going further and further as you go.

Also, as the post above says, fix yourself a goal, a place to reach for example.

If you are patient enough you will find really cool and unique places. You will find only a few every trip so be sure to write them down.

You also have all the first discovered by tags that are a good motivation.

Finally, especially with the latest updates, you can hope for a little money when you get back as well !

Different players like different things. For some, Exploring is fun & they don't see the point in combat, others like to A-B trade & nothing outside the bubble holds their interest unless there's money to be made.

You don't have to enjoy exploring & there is no real benefit to doing so other than the adventure of it, but learning the basic skills of scoopable stars & how to outfit your ship are useful even if you never go beyond Maia.

Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    The simple fact that not every system looks the same, the bulk of them do. For me personally, exploration is about finding those gem systems.
    This is what I look forward to (PS4 gamer in queue to launch). One could say the same thing about NMS - system after system of repetitive, but then there's that odd system that has something totally "other", new and unseen before. I'd still be playing NMS if they had ED's equivalent of fuel scooping, just to find more of those gems.
    I used to love Elite: Dangerous...

Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    personally I prefer having to hunt for gems as opposed to other games where every system in space resembles my early 20's Psychedelic Mushroom phase.
    No references whatsoever to other games in particular
    My Glorious Flightstation
    CMDR Herbrand - FA Off Trainee - HTC Vive user

As the guys before have said, it's about finding something unusual, unique, beautiful....that is the motivation.

It's certainly not for the money or the rank, you would have gotten both 10x faster in Quince.

I'll give you an example, I've been finding tiny moons which orbit gas giants, yet these moons have atmospheres but are only 350km in circumference.....how can something so small hold an atmosphere? It could be a real phenomenon, more likely it's a glitch in the stellar forge but whichever it is I'm now keeping an eye on finding the smallest moon with an atmosphere....just for the record.

I'm on my first long-ish voyage of 20,000ly into the core and i've been hunting for earth like worlds but I also wanted to find my own Black Hole, Neutron star, White Dwarf, O class giant amongst others...

The trip out was all about discovering firsts and getting my name on as much unique stuff as possible, the trip back will be all about speed

I wont be exploring again until I've engineered my FSD, and FDev actually add some mechanics to exploring.....which might take a while.

Different things appeal to different people; it's part of what makes life interesting.

I like exploring. I also like long distance cycling. I enjoy hopping on my bicycle and riding all day: It's called "a century", 100 miles (161 km) or more. I understand that most people would hate to do that.

(Video or it didn't happen) Here's a time-lapse video of me riding the first 50 miles of a century; just like exploring, at some point you must turn around and head for home.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aj2gdTGJyh_31DYePXtpAMSEUTym

The joy is in the search for something special, or beautiful, or record breaking, or just plain odd. It was easier before 2.2, before the beige-ification and before surface terrain was homogenized. Pre 2.2 you could find much more interesting worlds, with colors and really varied surface generation. Today it's much more boring and mundane.

An ability to create your own goals helps tremendously too, as the game's exploration mechanics are so anemic that there actually isn't much to do while exploring in Elite.

But yes you are correct, and it's why I'm not playing at all right now, not until exploration gets improved. After it got worse during the 2.5 years of playing, well I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. Maybe after a long break I'll come back, hopefully 3.0 does a lot to improve the situation.

Originally Posted by NW3 View Post (Source)
    Different things appeal to different people; it's part of what makes life interesting.

I like exploring. I also like long distance cycling. I enjoy hopping on my bicycle and riding all day: It's called "a century", 100 miles (161 km) or more. I understand that most people would hate to do that.

Here's a time-lapse video of the first 50 miles of a century; just like exploring, at some point you must turn around and head for home.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aj2gdTGJyh_31DYePXtpAMSEUTym
    Hello online doppelganger. I too am a fan of long distance cycling AND exploration in Elite Dangerous..... There's something nice about heading out with no idea exactly of where you'll end up. My longest trips have been 187 miles and 2k ly

How do people sit in a boat and drown worms for hours on end?

How did Lief Erikson cross the ocean and land in Nova Scotia?

How did Magellen get killed only a few miles from where he was trying to go?

Some people just have higher tolerances and/or are able to enjoy a journey as much as the destination.

i'm mainly visiting real galaxy supergiants since over a year. and i find strange systems on the way and back.

but i also like hiking in RL, and not for the view!

what do you do if a mountain is there...
    ___

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Money, fame and women of course...why ye ask?

Ever watched an old movie called dances with Wolves? There are a few lines in that old chestnut that describe it perfectly.

I want to see the frontier...before it's gone ^

Bit mostly fer the money, fame and women
    M8 who ye talking to?
    Nobody.
    So who am I talking to?
    Me.
    Wha....?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast