Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thargoids? Be afraid? Nah, don't think so :|

“It’s not going to affect the whole galaxy at the same time. It’s going to be in an area,” Braben said. “So players can choose to engage with it or not. Same with player organizations.”

That sounds like the Pleiades to me.

“There won’t be any one person or group who can mess it up for everyone,” Sammarco added. “We’ve put a lot of time and effort into making this new chapter feel right for everyone. It’s there to be experienced. As David said, Elite is a giant game. You don’t have to go where this thing is going to start kicking off. Initially, it won’t be on your doorstep.

I think the bold bits are important.

Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    Source: http://www.newsweek.com/elite-danger...-aliens-627033

Regarding the Thargoid 'invasion'

So, what they're saying, is not only will there be no actual invasion, you won't even have to escape to Colonia to avoid conflict. Indeed, it sounds specifically like what we already have now, in the shape of conflict zones.

How exciting.
    I wish they'd stop explaining the story in interviews and let us experience it / play it out in game. Or god forbid, through Galnet stories.

It's maddening.
    "They sing, the artefacts. I thought that was some crack pot ranting, but when you're out there they sing and then they find you..."

- Jaques

"BE AFRAID!*"

*Thargoids may or may not arrive within 6 months to a year from this notification of fear and may or may not be completely localized and therefor not a direct threat. Some terms and conditions apply. See in David Braben's mind for details.

Originally Posted by JeffRyan View Post (Source)
    He did, not that he made much from it. Chiaroscuro yes. Wes is a bit of an asshat, or I should say he was, he's mellowed a bit in his old age, we still chat (our kids are the same age so we share father-stuff).
    Way off topic, but I used to run Star Wars: Uprising.

Originally Posted by crushdepth View Post (Source)
    I wish they'd stop explaining the story in interviews and let us experience it / play it out in game. Or god forbid, through Galnet stories.

It's maddening.
    Galnet stories are often a mess of illiterate, poorly worded and misspelt articles, so much so that I gave up reading them. If FD are going to allow for user-created content, at the very least, employ an editor or copywriter. Or better than that, hire an actual author to write content, I don't know, someone like Drew Wagar for example. Or, Drew Wagar. How or why he isn't more involved in the core content within Galnet I have no clue. It is evidently poorer for the lack of his involvement.

Some Players: "Waaah! I don't want to be forced to fight Thargoids!"

FD: "Don't worry, you won't have to run for your life at the start, we didn't want to ruin the relaxing atmosphere of some professions completely."

Some Other Players: "Liars! You said to be afraid!!!"

FD: "Wait, we haven't finished explaining how-"

Bit of Both Players: "NO, I HAVE LOST FAITH IN YOU!!!"

*The above was mostly hyperbole and not directed at any one person.

We'll have to wait and see more before we can dare pass any judgement. I can understand that low expectations leave little room for disappointment, but you don't have to try to find justification for those feelings in every statement made by the devs.

Originally Posted by h347h View Post (Source)
    If anyone really expected anything else I'd say you were definitely fooling yourself.
    I don't think anyone seriously expected much more. `Hoped` would be better perhaps.
    I'm already accustomed to lowering my sights.

I think I was kind of hoping that you'd at least have to deal with them in some way - deciding to run or fight, but if run, you'd get plenty of opportunity. Not as a permanent game feature, but like hyperdictions. but with more interaction.

Definitely not 'Thargoid are here' zones.

My system: i7 4790k@4.5Ghz, Patriot 16GB Viper 3 Black Mamba, Asus Z97K M/B, Palit NVIDIA GTX 1080 Jetstream,
    Logitech MX Master/Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Mouse, Razer Blackwidow Chroma X, 3x 23" Samsung Curved 1080p Monitors, Oculus Rift
    * Word to the wise - a higher forum rank does not mean you know more, or you are automatically right. *

This is what i fear'd, and previously made a thread about. I feel that the entire mystery and fear surrounding Thargoids is over because it'll be a case of "Bad thargoids here, no thargoids here". No one fears what can easily be avoided.

See initial thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ht=dont+bottle

Seems it was in vain :/.

Just because DB said the 'goids would be in "an area" does not mean it's a combat zone replica. I think he means an area of space, probably the closest to their homeworld or something, or some expanse of space were the incursions are taking place, and the closets you are to it the bigger the chance for encounters. Just speculation of course..

If the 'goids would be suddenly present in the entire galaxy it would be very weird, the galaxy is huge. It would be akin to the early version when there were pirates in the entire galaxy, which was crap.

i figured DB meant to comfort all those players who are too afraid to play in open wont have to worry about their little safety spaces in solo play in the bubble disturbed by Thargoid attacks, they wont be in your backyard are interdicting you on your cargo runs.

I think I was kind of hoping that you'd at least have to deal with them in some way - deciding to run or fight, but if run, you'd get plenty of opportunity. Not as a permanent game feature, but like hyperdictions. but with more interaction.

Definitely not 'Thargoid are here' zones.
    Even if that 'zone', as you refer to it (or area of the galaxy as it is in the quote), starts as the entire Pleiades area of space and gradually spreads across into the inhabited systems?

I just hope WW3 doesn't happen before the Goids reach the bubble.

Originally Posted by FrogsFriend View Post (Source)
    Even if that 'zone', as you refer to it (or area of the galaxy as it is in the quote), starts as the entire Pleiades area of space and gradually spreads across into the inhabited systems?
    I DO hope this is a possibility, but unfortunately, my faith in Fronter to deliver a good story just keeps dwindling away. Nothing they've said or shown has done anything to make me think they've learned any lessons, despite what their press release says. I want to be proved wrong... but I fear it's going to be a huge wasted opportunity, revolving around pewpew in groups against large ships, and only in combat zones. Just in time for the PS4 release.

My system: i7 4790k@4.5Ghz, Patriot 16GB Viper 3 Black Mamba, Asus Z97K M/B, Palit NVIDIA GTX 1080 Jetstream,
    Logitech MX Master/Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Mouse, Razer Blackwidow Chroma X, 3x 23" Samsung Curved 1080p Monitors, Oculus Rift
    * Word to the wise - a higher forum rank does not mean you know more, or you are automatically right. *

I DO hope this is a possibility, but unfortunately, my faith in Fronter to deliver a good story just keeps dwindling away. Nothing they've said or shown has done anything to make me think they've learned any lessons, despite what their press release says. I want to be proved wrong... but I fear it's going to be a huge wasted opportunity, revolving around pewpew in groups against large ships, and only in combat zones. Just in time for the PS4 release.
    I hope it is not alien conflict zones. I hope they pull you out of supercruise. If it is CZ then it will be lame.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast