Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thargoids? Be afraid? Nah, don't think so :|

Originally Posted by FrogsFriend View Post (Source)
    Even if that 'zone', as you refer to it (or area of the galaxy as it is in the quote), starts as the entire Pleiades area of space and gradually spreads across into the inhabited systems?
    That's exactly as I read the article and what I'd always kind of expected to be honest. Sums up my view.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45898&dateline=1412260065

Didn't expect Thargoids to come out of nowhere and attack the whole galaxy all at once.

Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    Source: http://www.newsweek.com/elite-danger...-aliens-627033

Regarding the Thargoid 'invasion'

So, what they're saying, is not only will there be no actual invasion, you won't even have to escape to Colonia to avoid conflict. Indeed, it sounds specifically like what we already have now, in the shape of conflict zones.

How exciting.
    I feel it is the right way to implement this.
    Why would the Thargoids have the capacity to invade all of human occupied space? That sounds very unrealistic.
    They have to build ships too and crew them etc. If the Thargoids are supposed to be a realistic race then they have their own society, their own internal problems etc. They most likely have big problems we have no idea about. Invading human space is not their only purpose in life.

From the get go I have stated that I would expect the Thargoids to want to keep humans strategically out of certain sectors that are important to them.
    They might even want a few sectors we have populated, because they consider them their property.

I am glad FD decided to go for a more subtle realistic approach instead of an over the top absurd b-movie script.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

So, what they're saying, is not only will there be no actual invasion, you won't even have to escape to Colonia to avoid conflict. Indeed, it sounds specifically like what we already have now, in the shape of conflict zones.

How exciting.

I dont think thats the case.
    I assume what they mean with it will be in a Limited Area. Is that it will start off in Pleiades Nebulae around Maia.
    Or even further away.
    And not in the Bubble.

I doubt it will be only Conflict Zones.
    I do think tough we will see Conflict Zones as thats the chosen variant of Conflict in this Game.
    Support Software for our Ship Computers. Stop the 2 Ton heavy WW2 Computers.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...d-Module-Slots

How exciting.
    And entirely predictable. This is exactly what we've come to expect from FD. How disappointing. Next they'll tell us that thargoid content will only be developed in response to a significant take up by the player base.

Ninety-nine Thargoid ships
    Floating in the nighttime sky
    Panic bells, it's red alert
    There's something here from somewhere else
    The war machine springs to life
    Opens up one eager eye
    Focusing it on the sky
    Where ninety-nine Thargoid ships go by

Ninety-nine decision street
    Ninety-nine ministers meet
    To worry, worry, super scurry
    Call the troops out in a hurry
    This is what we've waited for
    This is it, boys, this is war
    The president is on the line
    As ninety-nine Thargoid ships go by!

Its a good thing we have a second human bubble.

Ok, let´s suppose that just about 40% of the bubble is attacked. Question:

How many thousands of systems will be under Thargoid invasion?

Even when you would have a WHOLE galaxy to run away, a full scale invasion may still occur.

The shooting part of wars takes place along a front, the rest of both sides' territory participates by supplying the front. A thargoid "invasion" consisting of random attacks throughout the bubble rather than high-intensity fighting in contested systems on the shifting border between human and thargoid held space would be stupid.
    "I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers" - David Braben

Originally Posted by Antinull View Post (Source)
    I don't think anyone seriously expected much more. `Hoped` would be better perhaps.
    I'm already accustomed to lowering my sights.
    Mmmm-hmmmm! I for one can't get enough of that weak weak sauce!

Don't worry guys, that just the first wave, I'm sure once they have conquered the outer colonies they will move inwards.

Of course, the prospect of war has some players concerned. Space truckers and deep space explorers don’t typically keep the heavily-armed ships one that you’d expect to see trying to hold its own against a Thargoid. But Braben says plenty of folks who won’t be severely impacted by the aliens’ reemergence. At least not right out of the gate.
    This suggests that the Thargoids will spread out over time, probably depends on how well us players fight them. How quickly we build new weapons, develope new tactics.

Originally Posted by Gunnet View Post (Source)
    The shooting part of wars takes place along a front, the rest of both sides' territory participates by supplying the front. A thargoid "invasion" consisting of random attacks throughout the bubble rather than high-intensity fighting in contested systems on the shifting border between human and thargoid held space would be stupid.
    That how wars were generally fought before WW2. Then the SAS developed ambushed tactics, working behind enemy lines destroying supply convoys, blowing up airports and planes and generally being really really annoying to the s.

Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post (Source)
    That how wars were generally fought before WW2. Then the SAS developed ambushed tactics, working behind enemy lines destroying supply convoys, blowing up airports and planes and generally being really really annoying to the s.
    The bulk of the fighting in any large scale war is still on fronts where territory is being directly contested. I expect thargoid interdiction (in the military sense rather than the usual ED sense) will happen, but be limited to within a reasonable distance from the front.

Hopefully it will also go the other way and players will be motivated to sometimes penetrate thargoid territory.
    "I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers" - David Braben

Originally Posted by Antinull View Post (Source)
    I don't think anyone seriously expected much more. `Hoped` would be better perhaps.
    I'm already accustomed to lowering my sights.
    I constantly have to do this with each and every update that FDev talk about; I get hyped and then all I do is make myself remember the previous updates and realistic expectations swiftly kick in. Frontier will likely choose the path of least resistance when it comes to effort put in with these alien encounters and make them be conflict zones or something similar. If they can take alien content and just insert said content into the existing templates (conflict zone, distress signals, etc), then that's what I think they're going to do just because it's easier for them.

CZ and CG. This is what Frontier know. Frontier do, what they know. The end result of Jaques and Colonia essentially being static set pieces that were s-l-o-w-l-y doled out over successive CG.

This is what we get for thargoids. You can bet they will be forced to keep thargoids out of the bubble too. Permanently. 2.1 update makes that patently clear. We've gone from an uneasy worry, to irrelevant elsewhere.

The great unspoken threat of our game's age is a bunch of content gated away in an essentially irrelevant part of space. We already know where given some of the permit locked regions. They are hundreds of LY from the bubble.

Might as well be at The Great Annihilator. They have returned, indeed. Well, sort of.
    cmdr kofeyh | http://twitch.tv/kofeyh | "The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." – Citizen G'Kar

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast