Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Am I Missing Something? Why Give The Media A Sneak Peek?

They might have a temporary blackout were they cant report it now but will have all the information when they get the thumbs up that blackouts lifted. Maybe around the release of Elite on PS4

Maybe because the press won't fill the forum whining that the content isn't good enough for them, before they have had a chance to play it?

Because the press always knows about core game mechanics and upcoming changes before we do. It's how Frontier communicates upcoming content to the players.

It leads to inevitable spoilers and confusion though as the developer tends to offer structured releases to the media. Us? Less so. It's pretty normal. If not sometimes a bit unfortunate.

We know more about the thargoids via those press releases than anything else at present.
    cmdr kofeyh | http://twitch.tv/kofeyh | "The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." – Citizen G'Kar

Originally Posted by YinYin View Post (Source)
    This is so they have time to do their job and have something written and ready for the official reveal. Are you doing such a job? No.
    Is the correct answer.

No sinister conspiracy
    No disrespecting the players

It's as simple as people just doing their jobs.

/thread.

--- "Mercy is the mark of a great man... Guess I'm just a good man... Well, I'm all right." ---

The media, especially wannabe journalists who 'work' for 3rd rate gaming websites, ain't going to keep their mouths shut, instead looking for the next exclusive news article to being people to their sites and making money from their advertising views.

Thats the only reason gaming websites exist. To try and make a few pennies more than the other sites. It's sad really, when you see 2 dozen articles with slightly different wording, all trying to make out they were 'first' - when the article in question was sourced from a central news source site - I know, I used to do it too until I realised what was going on - this WAS a long time ago I hasten to add.

My system: i7 4790k@4.5Ghz, Patriot 16GB Viper 3 Black Mamba, Asus Z97K M/B, Palit NVIDIA GTX 1080 Jetstream, Logitech MX Master/Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Mouse, Razer Blackwidow Chroma X, 3x 23" Samsung Curved 1080p Monitors, Oculus Rift
    * Word to the wise - a higher forum rank does not mean you know more, or you are automatically right. *

Originally Posted by kofeyh View Post (Source)
    Actually we don't have to play it to find out, that's what's great about refusing to let the community know and then essentially spilling the beans to the media. We know before it drops what it is. Just in a way that's a bit souls destroying - it's grand.
    Seriously you couldn't guess I was being facicious and the real reason is so FD can have the articles advertising the feature releases ready for when FD want it, it's how asdvertising works. The punter is always the last know. It's commonly used to build expectation and suspense.

So those that have spent 1000's of hours torturing themselves playing a game they hate can get the entire experience of dissapointment extended and have more to whine about

Coming from Star Citizen and it's detailed monthly reports and weekly video reports I think that Frontier would only have to gain by enhancing it's communication with it's player-base. It also helps promoting the game week in week out if you share the cool stuff you are working on, bringing more players and engaging with current ones.
    I don't want to build a game I want to build a Universe. A Living, Breathing, High Fidelious Community Powered Science-Fiction Universe with unparalleled Immersion... and you're invited to follow every step of development!

Welcome to the Verse
    Chris Roberts

Originally Posted by Kaocraft View Post (Source)
    Because if the release the trailer publicly, someone will notice the curvature of the interior of a crater in the background and be like "yup, I know where that is", and 24 hours later there will be a reddit post explaining where the thargoids are and how to kill them.
    This is the correct answer.

#justfrontierthings

Originally Posted by JohnMice View Post (Source)
    Coming from Star Citizen and it's detailed monthly reports and weekly video reports I think that Frontier would only have to gain by enhancing it's communication with it's player-base. It also helps promoting the game week in week out if you share the cool stuff you are working on, bringing more players and engaging with current ones.
    SC is on the polar opposite of the spectrum - they don't have a game, so their bread & butter is generating hype

11. This is the last staff post in this thread. #26
    Hi Alien,

I can explain and I hope you respect the absolute honesty and transparency in my answer.

The first thing I think it is important to note is that press and community are both very important. We all know community are important for all the reasons and more that you've mentioned. They create the most amazing content and they bring the game to life. Without the community the game is lifeless.

But press are important too. Without new people hearing about the game, we don't get new Commanders joining the awesome community. There are loads of other ways that we communicate to new, existing and old players too (not just press and community). It's all part of making sure that the community is as thriving, healthy and as active as it can be. Ultimately we all want the same thing.

One example of how we always keep our community in mind is E3. Rather than just showing content at E3 in press interviews alone, like many games do, we thought it would be better to have a community goal to incorporate a fun way to reveal the content in lore, try somethig new and then have that content out to the community at the very first opportunity. You may not always see it but we really do always try and make sure that the community are kept in the loop as early as possible. Ask any of the guys that came to visit the studio the other week.

As for the video. I understand that it can be frustrating not to be seeing one piece of content straight away but the truth is that having something exclusive to those interviews means that there's more reason for the press to write about the news, news that we all have a part of creating. E3 has a lot of games news so it's important to have that little extra sometimes. It's happens with all forms of communications and there's always balance to be had with however you get that content out to people.

E3 saw the community getting almost all of the E3 news first, with all the videos and content going live on our channels before the interviews were starting. This video was an extra exclusive to support those interviews as a way to.set the tone of what's to come.

I hope that answers your question. Please don't for a second think that the community isn't well loved or respected, they really are. I can hand on heart say (and I will at lavecon) that the company truly appreciates and values the support of the community and that shows in so many ways. I could list the countless ways community are put at the very front of events, updates, content and consideration and how this culture starts from the top and runs down the entire studio but it's late, i've spent too long on this reply lol and I'm heading to bed. Grab me at the lavecon if you want to discuss the details further. I'd be happy to explain in more detail.

All the best

Zac

P.S - Will the community see this video? Never say never.
    Head of Community Management

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Hi Alien,

I can explain and I hope you respect the absolute honesty and transparency in my answer.

The first thing I think it is important to note is that press and community are both very important. We all know community are important for all the reasons and more that you've mentioned. They create the most amazing content and they bring the game to life. Without the community the game is lifeless.

But press are important too. Without new people hearing about the game, we don't get new Commanders joining the awesome community. There are loads of other ways that we communicate to new, existing and old players too (not just press and community). It's all part of making sure that the community is as thriving, healthy and as active as it can be. Ultimately we all want the same thing.

One example of how we always keep our community in mind is E3. Rather than just showing content at E3 in press interviews alone, like many games do, we thought it would be better to have a community goal to incorporate a fun way to reveal the content in lore, try somethig new and then have that content out to the community at the very first opportunity. You may not always see it but we really do always try and make sure that the community are kept in the loop as early as possible. Ask any of the guys that came to visit the studio the other week.

As for the video. I understand that it can be frustrating not to be seeing one piece of content straight away but the truth is that having something exclusive to those interviews means that there's more reason for the press to write about the news, news that we all have a part of creating. E3 has a lot of games news so it's important to have that little extra sometimes. It's happens with all forms of communications and there's always balance to be had with however you get that content out to people.

E3 saw the community getting almost all of the E3 news first, with all the videos and content going live on our channels before the interviews were starting. This video was an extra exclusive to support those interviews as a way to.set the tone of what's to come.

I hope that answers your question. Please don't for a second think that the community isn't well loved or respected, they really are. I can hand on heart say (and I will at lavecon) that the company truly appreciates and values the support of the community and that shows in so many ways. I could list the countless ways community are put at the very front of events, updates, content and consideration and how this culture starts from the top and runs down the entire studio but it's late, i've spent too long on this reply lol and I'm heading to bed. Grab me at the lavecon if you want to discuss the details further. I'd be happy to explain in more detail.

All the best

Zac

P.S - Will the community see this video? Never say never.
    I can only speak for myself, but when I saw that you were trying to reveal the next part of the story by using an in-game event and where you experienced it by playing the game itself, I thought it was a great idea.

I haven't been able to play as much recently for a variety of reasons, but when I saw that, I tried to make it for that event - I was just too late arriving in open, but I found the site by following Ed's path as he did the livestream, and when I did, I and a bunch of others looked around, messed around the wrecks, flew through the capital ships and helped a couple of Anacondas that got stuck trying to do the same... and when the broadcast began again an hour later, we all clustered round it and listened.

I loved it. I absolutely loved it. Most game announcement things are entirely detached affairs, and usually are just about giving a date and a lot of information. You and all at Frontier actually decided to try and do the messy job of organising an in-game event where the reveal was for those who played the game, and experienced the reveal by playing the game.

Thank you, all at Frontier. At least one person really did appreciate that.

Does it bother me that you also offered an exclusive look to the press? No. I'd think you were a little foolish if you did nothing to try to secure some sort of press coverage - it's part of your job. I'm glad I'm not doing it.

Looking forward to seeing and playing more when I get the chance.

What?!!! Generating hype for the game? Not on these forums!!!

Just joking Zac. Honestly, it seems like people have no concept of marketing sometimes or what it takes to run a business.

tobii eyeX, T1600m FCS HOTAS with pedals, Windows10, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, I7 6700K, MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3 X, MSI GTX970 Enermaz Liqmax II 120s CPU cooler

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)

So could someone at Frontier please explain why the media get a sneak peek and the community don't?
    Because FD doesnt need to suck up to you to get your good opinion, they already have your money and you dont have the ability to generate new sales the way good media does.

Buying Horizons gives you access to Horizons. That's it. It doesn't give you a hotline to the marketing dept.
    Deadly
    Elite
    Elite

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast