Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Am I Missing Something? Why Give The Media A Sneak Peek?

Am I Missing Something? Why Give The Media A Sneak Peek?

Why do the media get a sneak peek at E3?
    Did they push for Elite IV before the kickstarter? No.
    Did they back Elite Dangerous kickstarter? No.
    Did they buy the game and the Horizons expansion? Probably not.
    Can they report on what they've seen? No because you've given them a gagging order.

So could someone at Frontier please explain why the media get a sneak peek and the community don't?
    When you need me, but do not want me, I must stay ... When you want me, but do not need me, I must go.

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    Why do the media get a sneak peek at E3?
    Did they push for Elite IV before the kickstarter? No.
    Did they back Elite Dangerous kickstarter? No.
    Did they buy the game and the Horizons expansion? Probably not.
    Can they report on what they've seen? No because you've given them a gagging order.

So could someone at Frontier please explain why the media get a sneak peek and the community don't?
    Totally agree with you. Maybe Lavecon this weekend will have that reveal shown.
    There are three basic types: The Wills, The Won't, and the Cant's
    The Wills accomplish everything, The Wont's oppose everything and the Cant's will not try anything.

Common with all games at shows, the press get to see stuff early because they can be trusted not to leak it. They are all under NDA and breaking it would ruin them.
    Never type in anger and press enter

Probably because E3 was Frontier's one big opportunity to show stuff to the press, unlike players, press won't continually check the forums so they have to give them enough to write an article in one hit.

We will probably get to see what the press saw once Lavecon hits.

This is so they have time to do their job and have something written and ready for the official reveal. Are you doing such a job? No.

Probably for the same reason the Press gets invited to the White House or Buckingham Palace, and you don't - it's your cologne.

I doubt they saw much. I read a couple articles and everything is so vague, just like how it was before any of the updates. That's what they do, they pay these gaming media outlets to hype upcoming updates. I just read this:

http://www.newsweek.com/elite-danger...-aliens-627033

10+ paragraphs and virtually not a single detail. Don't get your hopes up.

Originally Posted by Arc View Post (Source)
    Totally agree with you. Maybe Lavecon this weekend will have that reveal shown.
    Maybe, after last year's QQs that nothing was revealed there they might save the video with the moving probe or w/e is flying around.

It's good to see that they are thinking about multi player though.

I have to agree with this. Frontier have been incredibly tight-lipped about everything 2.4 and beyond, and while I respect the need for secrecy regarding our dear flowery friends, there is a lot more coming that would not really cause spoilage. And yet journos at E3, most who have never even played the game, get to see more than paying customers do.

That makes no obvious sense. I mean, we found out more about the Thargoid incursion from an interview, than we have done from any interaction with Frontier staff, and I find that fairly insulting.

At a time where communication has been one of the biggest complaints in recent weeks, this isn't really helping the cause. ANY reveal of any kind should be 100% public, and not hidden behind NDA's so journalists can write their drivel before we get to see anything.

My system: i7 4790k@4.5Ghz, Patriot 16GB Viper 3 Black Mamba, Asus Z97K M/B, Palit NVIDIA GTX 1080 Jetstream,
    Logitech MX Master/Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Mouse, Razer Blackwidow Chroma X, 3x 23" Samsung Curved 1080p Monitors, Oculus Rift
    * Word to the wise - a higher forum rank does not mean you know more, or you are automatically right. *

Yes, I'd say the OP was missing a few things.

The safety word is "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"

Because if the release the trailer publicly, someone will notice the curvature of the interior of a crater in the background and be like "yup, I know where that is", and 24 hours later there will be a reddit post explaining where the thargoids are and how to kill them.

It was to tie Obsidian Ant down with an NDA and stop him producing YouTube videos about The Future of Elite Dangerous

Originally Posted by Kaocraft View Post (Source)
    Because if the release the trailer publicly, someone will notice the curvature of the interior of a crater in the background and be like "yup, I know where that is", and 24 hours later there will be a reddit post explaining where the thargoids are and how to kill them.

Letting the press see things under NDA gives them an opportunity to prepare their articles ahead of time for when things go public. Journalists provide free advertising, so you do what you can to make their lives easier.

Even before the NDA is lifted, it's not like it's bad publicity to have them talking about how good the things they saw are.
    "I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers" - David Braben

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Probably for the same reason the Press gets invited to the White House or Buckingham Palace, and you don't - it's your cologne.
    But the media go to those places to report what is said/done there. In this case the media aren't allowed to report on it, so why invite reporters? I doubt it's their cologne.
    Elite-Tycoon-Elite-Amateur
    Rear Admiral-Duke

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast