Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77

Thread: Top tier trade ship fun discussion

  1. #46
    Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    The door is this way. I'll get your coat.
    If anyone tries to kick out anyone else, there the ones leaving. The thread is a DISCUSSION thread, no one is right or wrong.

  2. #47
    Originally Posted by drhay53 View Post (Source)
    Random thought but I'd say the most fun I've had in trading was rare trading in my asp explorer a looooongggg time ago. Other than that trading just makes me sleepy.

    I'm not a fan of flying the type 9 though I do love the cockpit view. I haven't owned anything bigger than an anaconda but I will say that the cutter is my mental image of my end game trader. My python always ends up in a multi role configuration. I should just buy a couple more.
    The asp explorer makes a good bulk passengers ship - great for evacuating outbreak victims and war refugees.

  3. #48
    Originally Posted by drhay53 View Post (Source)
    Random thought but I'd say the most fun I've had in trading was rare trading in my asp explorer a looooongggg time ago. Other than that trading just makes me sleepy.

    I'm not a fan of flying the type 9 though I do love the cockpit view. I haven't owned anything bigger than an anaconda but I will say that the cutter is my mental image of my end game trader. My python always ends up in a multi role configuration. I should just buy a couple more.
    If the cutter looks like anything, it's a passenger ship. Please tell me I'm not the only one who is reminded of the Boeing 747 when looking at it. Oh wait....the 747 is also a cargo plane.....

  4. #49
    Flew all of these ships at one point or another. Tonnage values from memory, may be slightly off.



    Anaconda:
    456T shielded with the longest possible jump range in the game, along with excellent armament to boot. Very good turn rate compared to the cutter, the type 9, and even the python. IMO the best of the lot as you have the most 1 and 2 jump trade routes available, flexibility for missions, exploration, and combat, and it isn't locked behind 50+ of hours of rank grind. With good engineering rolls and a full cargo bay, it can get a 28 LY jump range. Huge quality of life bonus imo.



    Type 9: Beautiful cockpit, iirc 512T shielded, short jump range, but turns like a pregnant cow. I flew one for a while. It's turn rate in both supercruise and in normal space made me want to slash my wrists (maybe figuratively...maybe...).



    Cutter: 700T+ shielded (I think?). Turns like a pregnant cow (much like the type 9). Short jump range (much like the type 9). Buuuut, it can boost to over 460 m/s with a good engineer roll. That can be ... fun. Although it still turns like a type 9 at those speeds which can be .... problematic. Then again, best shields in the game make collisions less problematic. Imo, only worth it if (a) you don't mind ~50 hours of rank grind or (b) you already have the rank.



    Corvette: Like an anaconda except with a 13 LY jump range...maybe 16 LY with a good engineer roll and fully loaded on cargo? also locked behind 50 hours of rank grind. Strictly worse than the anaconda for trading, and takes longer to get. Pass.



    Python: Only reason to get this is if you want to land at outposts for smuggling missions and the like. Keep in mind, that from a cr/hr point of view, an asp with it's larger jump range, greater speed, and greater maneuverability might actually be more effective for smuggling. Still, of the ships you listed, a python is the best smuggler and the best outpost trader. Has decent jump range and decent maneuverability (though, ironically, it turns worse than a conda or a corvette...still better than a type 9 tho). Basically, a mini-conda for people that like outposts. IMO outpost trading (not smuggling) is pretty meh, but if that's your thing, this is the best ship for it.

  5. #50
    I guess if I have one area that I am "good" at it is trading. Also am a T-ship slappy.
    With that said as we talk top tier trade ships it is interesting that the very ships made and designed for trading from the keel up get so little attention. This thread is the most love I have seen the 9 get in a while but it's not so much because it is a "good trader" as much as it has some element someone finds attractive. Cockpit, looks, etc.

    The T9. The Cutter masses out at 10% bigger yet carries 50% more cargo. The Corvette, which is smaller then the 9 and a combat ship, actually carries more cargo then the bigger, dedicated, and designed trade ship. The Conda is almost 1/3 the mass of the 9 yet carries almost as much cargo a heck of a lot more efficiently and safely.

    T7 and T6 - both fine ships with similar problems.
    The smaller Python carries as much cargo as a dedicated and designed cargo box with engines? Which then cannot use medium pads because it was designed by a blind drunkard who made it 1 meter too tall to fit on medium pads? The pad it practically swims on? Etc, etc.

    FD (Sandro) has said they are going to "look" at the T9 but that was a year(?) ago. Still waiting for the T-ship love FD. Or if not some love how about they at least make sense and occupy a logical space in the universe.

    That way when the question is asked about the top tier trade ship the crown should go to a trade ship - not some magical rainbow unicorn like multi-purpose ship flouting all numbers and logic. Sorry Cmdr's for the usual T-ship rant. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

  6. #51
    Originally Posted by Mrat View Post (Source)
    If anyone tries to kick out anyone else, there the ones leaving. The thread is a DISCUSSION thread, no one is right or wrong.
    Uhhh...that was a slight attempt at humor. Very slight apparently.

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post (Source)
    Flew all of these ships at one point or another. Tonnage values from memory, may be slightly off.



    Anaconda:
    456T shielded with the longest possible jump range in the game, along with excellent armament to boot. Very good turn rate compared to the cutter, the type 9, and even the python. IMO the best of the lot as you have the most 1 and 2 jump trade routes available, flexibility for missions, exploration, and combat, and it isn't locked behind 50+ of hours of rank grind. With good engineering rolls and a full cargo bay, it can get a 28 LY jump range. Huge quality of life bonus imo.



    Type 9: Beautiful cockpit, iirc 512T shielded, short jump range, but turns like a pregnant cow. I flew one for a while. It's turn rate in both supercruise and in normal space made me want to slash my wrists (maybe figuratively...maybe...).



    Cutter: 700T+ shielded (I think?). Turns like a pregnant cow (much like the type 9). Short jump range (much like the type 9). Buuuut, it can boost to over 460 m/s with a good engineer roll. That can be ... fun. Although it still turns like a type 9 at those speeds which can be .... problematic. Then again, best shields in the game make collisions less problematic. Imo, only worth it if (a) you don't mind ~50 hours of rank grind or (b) you already have the rank.



    Corvette: Like an anaconda except with a 13 LY jump range...maybe 16 LY with a good engineer roll and fully loaded on cargo? also locked behind 50 hours of rank grind. Strictly worse than the anaconda for trading, and takes longer to get. Pass.



    Python: Only reason to get this is if you want to land at outposts for smuggling missions and the like. Keep in mind, that from a cr/hr point of view, an asp with it's larger jump range, greater speed, and greater maneuverability might actually be more effective for smuggling. Still, of the ships you listed, a python is the best smuggler and the best outpost trader. Has decent jump range and decent maneuverability (though, ironically, it turns worse than a conda or a corvette...still better than a type 9 tho). Basically, a mini-conda for people that like outposts. IMO outpost trading (not smuggling) is pretty meh, but if that's your thing, this is the best ship for it.
    Wow, a very informative yet concise post, especially as this is more for fun than anything else (and maybe finding other people who like the type 9 ). You are correct the asp is a good smuggler, but when I think of trading, I think bulk trading. I guess smuggling is a type of trading however.

    If your confused why I included the corvette, it's the same reason I ended up adding the beluga to the list, becuase while their not meant as traders, in their class (combat and passengers, respectively), they are the best at bulk trading.

    I guess that's how you should see this comparison, the best ships in their class, competing at bulk trading. Because who doesn't sometimes want the ultimate combat trader?

  8. #53
    Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    Uhhh...that was a slight attempt at humor. Very slight apparently.
    Me too

  9. #54
    Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    I guess if I have one area that I am "good" at it is trading. Also am a T-ship slappy.
    With that said as we talk top tier trade ships it is interesting that the very ships made and designed for trading from the keel up get so little attention. This thread is the most love I have seen the 9 get in a while but it's not so much because it is a "good trader" as much as it has some element someone finds attractive. Cockpit, looks, etc.

    The T9. The Cutter masses out at 10% bigger yet carries 50% more cargo. The Corvette, which is smaller then the 9 and a combat ship, actually carries more cargo then the bigger, dedicated, and designed trade ship. The Conda is almost 1/3 the mass of the 9 yet carries almost as much cargo a heck of a lot more efficiently and safely.

    T7 and T6 - both fine ships with similar problems.
    The smaller Python carries as much cargo as a dedicated and designed cargo box with engines? Which then cannot use medium pads because it was designed by a blind drunkard who made it 1 meter too tall to fit on medium pads? The pad it practically swims on? Etc, etc.

    FD (Sandro) has said they are going to "look" at the T9 but that was a year(?) ago. Still waiting for the T-ship love FD. Or if not some love how about they at least make sense and occupy a logical space in the universe.

    That way when the question is asked about the top tier trade ship the crown should go to a trade ship - not some magical rainbow unicorn like multi-purpose ship flouting all numbers and logic. Sorry Cmdr's for the usual T-ship rant. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Post a message, see 5 more I need to look at lol. Good fun though.

    It's ok to want to see a ship you like get some love. Luckily I don't think the type 9 needs much to make it go from the cheap big trader to a serious contender. Reduce the hull mass by a few hundred tonnes, and give it about 600 tonnes cargo, and its fine.

    Less mass means shields work better, ship goes faster, ship jumps and travels further, the list goes on. I say 600 as that would be a big chunk bigger than the conda, but wouldn't step on the cutters toes. The most expensive ship in the game locked behind a massive rank grounded deserves to have quite the advantage over such a cheap alternative, but not too much as a trader, just enough to make the grind to one go either way.

    I don't think we need to make it better at combat however, a trader should be able to fart mines and that will look after it nicely.

    Oh, plus the type 9 hopefully won't be the actual end game trader, it's too cheap and small. We have to prepare ourselves for the true end trader. Traders will know which ship I mean

  10. #55
    Originally Posted by Mrat View Post (Source)
    Oh, plus the type 9 hopefully won't be the actual end game trader, it's too cheap and small. We have to prepare ourselves for the true end trader. Traders will know which ship I mean
    The T10? Affectionately named the "Orbis Annihilator" for its inability to penetrate a mail slot without swapping paint?

  11. #56
    Originally Posted by Don Alvarez View Post (Source)
    The T10? Affectionately named the "Orbis Annihilator" for its inability to penetrate a mail slot without swapping paint?
    Either they renamed the ship I'm thinking of or this is a new ship I haven't heared about. How about a qoute to help "...it was also regarded as one of the slowest and most lumbering vessels yet capable of turret mounting planetary bombardment class weaponry that could destroy most enemies in a single well-placed shot."

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post (Source)
    Cutter: ... Turns like a pregnant cow (much like the type 9). Short jump range (much like the type 9). Buuuut, it can boost to over 460 m/s with a good engineer roll. That can be ... fun. Although it still turns like a type 9 at those speeds which can be .... problematic.
    i got my very best dirty drive roll, one of those "godrolls" as i learned the last weeks, on my trading cutters d-class thrusters.

    it basically flies now FAON like other ships FAOFF.

    it turns very well,
    in any direction,
    it just does not change the direction it travels...

  13. #58
    Originally Posted by Jockey79 View Post (Source)
    erm... nope.

    Even the Cutter can not carry 800T and it carries more than an Anaconda.

    A 'Conda with no shields and just cargo is 468T http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A060,,...200720072003w0
    A Cutter built the same way is 792T http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A0_0,,...c008c0072005U0

    @OP I have the Cutter and love it. It's fast (in a line, but doesn't turn so well), and I have flown the T9 and Anaconda.
    If you do not have the rep with Imperials to get the Cutter, I'd use a T9 to get an Anaconda. Even with shields and guns, you can carry over 400T and fight back really well.

    I will say though, the T9 makes you feel like a trucker and it's a really great feeling. The Anaconda while being a nice ship doesn't have the same feeling to it. It feels more like a patrol craft to me than a haulier of any type.
    Sorry, my bad, was a long time ago. I ran the smallest possible shield generator for the Anaconda so cargo capacity was rather high (as much as I could fit in).

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by goemon View Post (Source)
    i got my very best dirty drive roll, one of those "godrolls" as i learned the last weeks, on my trading cutters d-class thrusters.

    it basically flies now FAON like other ships FAOFF.

    it turns very well,
    in any direction,
    it just does not change the direction it travels...
    Well why shouldn't you be able to drift your cutter sideways through the mail slot. How else are you going to impress people? Well, apart from the effect of seeing a white imperial ship

  15. #60
    Cutter for me. The most cargo capacity, relatively decent range when fully laden thanks to mass insensitivity, and effectively invulnerable to pirates when properly built. But that's all incidental next to the fact that the Cutter is my favourite ship in general. Nothing else is as satisfying to fly.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast