Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Top tier trade ship fun discussion

  1. #1

    Top tier trade ship fun discussion

    Why is this here? Because I keep looking at the type 9 and wanting one. I gave up trying to fast grind to bigger ships, but I'll probably have the money one day to try out bigger ships, and the type 9....has a presence. It's awe inspiring.

    But anyway, as the type 9 is a trade ship, let's discuss an important subject. What do you believe is the best trade ship and why?

    The contenders:
    -Python
    -Type 9
    -Anaconda
    -Imperial Cutter
    -Federal Corvette (why not?)

    I picked this selection as these are the ship's with the highest in game cargo capacity, with their own pros and cons (including price), or, for the Python, they are the best trader in their pad size.

    You can use facts like credits per hour to back up your claim, or emotional reasons like ships looks. I look forward to this discussion.

    Edit: Beluga is now a contender, it is technically an 'end tier' ship, and if I've put a combat ship like the Corvette on the list, I can't really exclude a passenger liner. Oh, and this is more meant as a fun thread than a serious one. Thanks to IndigoWyrd for this suggestion. Other suggestions welcome.

  2. #2
    Type 9 has the best cockpit view.
    Cutter has the most capacity.
    Anaconda has the best range.
    Python is the most agile.
    Haven't flown the Vette.

    I do a lot of trading. I used to run the Type 9, but now that I have the Cutter, that's my bulk trader. Use the Python for running haulage / import missions. Anaconda is currently configured as a BattleConda, so I don't do much else in it at the moment.

    Fact is, the Cutter will out earn the Python today in A-B trading. There was a time haulage missions paid better using the Python, but the halcyon days of 2.2 are apparently over. Yes, you can make more per tonne in the Python, but not so much more that you outdo the total tonnage advantage the Cutter has. However, that's today--it hasn't always been the case, and it may change in the future.

    My recommendation: just buy all of 'em.

  3. #3
    Stripped bare, yes the Cutter has more capacity. It's also an aluminum cigar tube stripped bare and a single sidewinder can bring it down with relative ease.
    The Anaconda, also stripped bare, is slightly more durable, being made of tin.
    The Python, as I've only recently bought and engineered one specifically for freight, weighs in, once again, as the Multi-role champion, with 208 tons of cargo space, plus shields, plus a 35 Ly range and guns. It's also tough as roofing nails.
    The Type-9.. well, keep in mind that all the Type-# ships were given a hull boost to make them more than just pinatas. It handles well enough, holds up well enough, and has plenty of room without being stripped bare.

    But there's one more big ship you've missed: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/belu...MDmAbVIYSFA%3D

    Weighing in at 304 tons of cargo space, a tremendous jump range, colossal 128 t fuel tank, and incredible handling for a ship of this size, the Beluga is not to be taken lightly.
    Also capable of fitting fighter bays, this stellar behemoth is a gem.

  4. #4
    Python, dude, Python...

    It's so much more versatile. It's faster (than the T-9), more agile, has good hardpoints, lands at medium pads, is cheaper.

    Sure, the Type-9 can haul more in one shot, but raw cargo space isn't everything.

  5. #5
    P.S. I sold my T-9 this weekend.

    Python, dude.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Stripped bare, yes the Cutter has more capacity. It's also an aluminum cigar tube stripped bare and a single sidewinder can bring it down with relative ease.
    Eh, the Cutter can have ~1500 shield with 752 cargo and a docking computer. What sidewinder is gonna stop that.

    Put 4 pips to sys and you can have 80+ resistance.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Stripped bare, yes the Cutter has more capacity. It's also an aluminum cigar tube stripped bare and a single sidewinder can bring it down with relative ease.
    The Anaconda, also stripped bare, is slightly more durable, being made of tin.
    The Python, as I've only recently bought and engineered one specifically for freight, weighs in, once again, as the Multi-role champion, with 208 tons of cargo space, plus shields, plus a 35 Ly range and guns. It's also tough as roofing nails.
    The Type-9.. well, keep in mind that all the Type-# ships were given a hull boost to make them more than just pinatas. It handles well enough, holds up well enough, and has plenty of room without being stripped bare.

    But there's one more big ship you've missed: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/belu...MDmAbVIYSFA%3D

    Weighing in at 304 tons of cargo space, a tremendous jump range, colossal 128 t fuel tank, and incredible handling for a ship of this size, the Beluga is not to be taken lightly.
    Also capable of fitting fighter bays, this stellar behemoth is a gem.
    I like your style. I guess if I put a combat ship up, I'll put the beluga up. This is for fun afterall, and it is an 'end tier' ship.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    The Python, as I've only recently bought and engineered one specifically for freight, weighs in, once again, as the Multi-role champion, with 208 tons of cargo space, plus shields, plus a 35 Ly range and guns. It's also tough as roofing nails.
    And configured for pure trading it can pull 256 short-medium range, and 240 long range with a 4A scoop.

  9. #9
    Diamondback Scout. 8t cargo in mining configuration, 16t in surface salvage, and 20t in haulage mode.

    Yes I'm well aware that this is an endgame thread. Well the DBS is an endgame ship to me. XD lol

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Diamondback Scout. 8t cargo in mining configuration, 16t in surface salvage, and 20t in haulage mode.

    Yes I'm well aware that this is an endgame thread. Well the DBS is an endgame ship to me. XD lol
    I can't knock your playstyle, if you find fun in the ship, or if anyone else does, I'm not going to stop you talking about it, but this thread isn't exactly about such ships, it's about the heavy haulage truckers of elite.

    HOOOOONK!

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    And configured for pure trading it can pull 256 short-medium range, and 240 long range with a 4A scoop.
    You've made a lot of posts about the python, is it your favourite ship in elite? I've noticed a lot of people like that ship. Shame I'm a hipster . Gotta be different.

  12. #12
    for trading for influence of a minor faction, a trade python. also for zoys Boomin Marvellous Rares and Route https://zoy.updog.co/rares/
    medium pad, and 250T of different commodities will hit the maximum influence gain from trade in most smaller systems.

    since i made elite in trading, i rarely fly my trade cutter. it is the quickest way there, though, and if kept lightweight and engineered makes a trade conda superflous. but after that, i rarely find a reason to fly a cutter, some trade CG which i find important to suceed is the only reason to take it out of dock - there is a trade game after the cutter for me!

    i personally prefer a t9 above a trade conda, it simply has the best bridge ingame, and it helps focussing on trading, as it can't really do anything else (even if a carrier t9 might be fun). i had 2 t9s for BGS manipulation before shiptransfer. now i have none and miss it in between.

    corvette - i have a mining corvette, but i can see no reason to have a trading corvette instead of a trading cutter, if you have the rank for both. design of a corvette rocks, though.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Mrat View Post (Source)
    I can't knock your playstyle, if you find fun in the ship, or if anyone else does, I'm not going to stop you talking about it, but this thread isn't exactly about such ships, it's about the heavy haulage truckers of elite.

    HOOOOONK!
    That's the joke. I'll take my leave now.

    Though what's wrong with vans? You big-rig drivers, thinking you own the road...

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    Python, dude, Python...

    It's so much more versatile. It's faster (than the T-9), more agile, has good hardpoints, lands at medium pads, is cheaper.

    Sure, the Type-9 can haul more in one shot, but raw cargo space isn't everything.
    I agree with you. Not in the ship itself, but in your general idea. For me Trade and FUN has only a name: Imperial Clipper. I't even faster (and safer), even more agile, even cheaper. Although it can land in medium pads, your point. But if you like trade and fun, this ship is the only choice for me. I prefer not to be so rich as if I was owning a cutter, because I have so much fun, piloting my ferrari clipper. Trade ships use to be flying bricks...

  15. #15
    Tub-9

    With its fins sticking up on each side it looks like a ray gliding along the bottom of the ocean. And rays are cool.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast