Thread: Orca's bridge. Needs just a touch of work? (pic inside)

Orca's bridge. Needs just a touch of work? (pic inside)

While I was slowly falling in love with my new Orca, I couldn't help but notice some not so attractive details in the cockpit. All the panels that are supposed to be some kind of screens and computers are completely static. Wouldn't it be nice to have them animated? How much more lively this place would be. I'm talking minimal amount of effort taken - just a little blinking light, flicker of a screen, and maybe make those sonar-looking things go around slowly aka radar. All that would be needed to make it look less like stickers on kid's toys that are made to look like this sort of stuff.

I have those in my car, also. I put my sunglasses in one ..... and always wonder just what they have fitted in the space on the extra de-luxe super special edition model

Is the orca multicrew compatible? If so, the panels probably only activate when someone is in that seat. That would actually make sense I'm sorry to say, because why have a panel fully operational when not in use, in any form of transport, that'd be wasteful.

Originally Posted by Mrat View Post (Source)
    Is the orca multicrew compatible? If so, the panels probably only activate when someone is in that seat. That would actually make sense I'm sorry to say, because why have a panel fully operational when not in use, in any form of transport, that'd be wasteful.
    It is. No, panels do not activate. Point still stands.

Remember when the Orca's bridge had reflections? (That's Jupiter)

Originally Posted by salad View Post (Source)

https://inara.cz/data/gallery/25/25680x2025.jpg
    Ha, that's neat. Give completely different feel for materials used. I did not have Orca till very recently, so I did not know that was a thing.

Yes, I miss those reflections.

Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    It is. No, panels do not activate. Point still stands.
    Then how does the co pilot help fly the ship? With telepresence?

Originally Posted by Mrat View Post (Source)
    Then how does the co pilot help fly the ship? With telepresence?
    I'm not talking about standard HUD we get when we fly Look at all those yellow screens. They are completely static. Painted over. Instead they could be animated slightly to give an appearance of these being...real. You know.

Actually, an earlier thread maybe about Christmas, or even earlier, took us for a 3D tour of some ships' cabins. In some of the larger ships there are static screens on the walls, so it's not just the Orca.

There is much to do to bring the cabins to life, with the existing displays. It looks as though this might be to come and that they are only placeholders (dreaded name) at present. Hope so.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Actually, an earlier thread maybe about Christmas, or even earlier, took us for a 3D tour of some ships' cabins. In some of the larger ships there are static screens on the walls, so it's not just the Orca.

There is much to do to bring the cabins to life, with the existing displays. It looks as though this might be to come and that they are only placeholders (dreaded name) at present. Hope so.
    I would hope so, lots of precedent for the look and even for function in other games beyond the HUD feed. The screens in DOOM3D for example were really well done as a visual and interactive game element; same as in Alien:Isolation. Both games' use of interactive screens and computers becomes relevant to Elite concepts if there's ever going to be any inner-ship gameplay of any extent once our evolution to legs occurs (standard Or Not disclaimer). I'd like more active secondary screens for the looks certainly; but I'd like them even waaay more if I could read useful data from them.

I remember the luxury of the Orca. A true space limousine. Then came the Beluga, and I saw the interior in beta, and thought, 'This would be really nice if they treated it like the Orce. As it is, meh...' Then came the Dolphin. I thought, 'Man, I love this little ship. Shame the cockpit looks so industrial. It will be nice when they bring it in-line with the Orca...'

Fast forward to Commanders... and instead of raising the standard of the Dolphin and Beluga to that of the Orca... they lowered the Orca to match the cheap plastic feel of the other two...

Criminal.

So dark inside I can't see my bobbleheads.

The ED cockpits are lame placeholders that we must all suffer for the moment.

Games 10 years older than ED have more detailed, more interactive, and more animated cockpits than anything in ED. IL-2 Sturmovic 1946 looks amazing with a fully-animated, fully-functional cockpit with all instruments animated. Hell, even Microsoft's graphically-awful FSX is better than ED's cockpits so I wouldn't stress over it too much. Both of these games are creeping up on their 12th birthday....

If you're in any doubt about the placeholder status of ED's cockpits, remember that most of the Lakon cockpits have a copy-paste console, the Asp X and Asp Scout are indentical, the Keelback is just an Type-6 cockpit and FD didn't even bother changing the labels. Its says Type-6 on the screens inside. They are (like much of ED) the absolute bare-minimum of detail required to tick the box and move onto something else. Proper cockpit updates will hopefully bring the game into line with other cockpit-based games once other, more-important things are fleshed out a bit more, just don't ask for a date. REAL SOON (TM) okay