Thread: Question about flight assist off

Question about flight assist off

My hotas broke a while ago and I can't afford a good one now, but I don't want to waste money on a cheap one, so I wait.
    In the mean time I got hang of playing ED on keyboard and mouse.

I set flight assist off to left control, so I use it with my pinky and it would work great if I didn't have one issue with it.
    When I hit it the throttle tries to match my flight direction, so if I'm trying to spin the ship around it will put the ship into reverse and I have to throttle all the way back up losing some seconds.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Originally Posted by CenturionPuch View Post (Source)
    My hotas broke a while ago and I can't afford a good one now, but I don't want to waste money on a cheap one, so I wait.
    In the mean time I got hang of playing ED on keyboard and mouse.

I set flight assist off to left control, so I use it with my pinky and it would work great if I didn't have one issue with it.
    When I hit it the throttle tries to match my flight direction, so if I'm trying to spin the ship around it will put the ship into reverse and I have to throttle all the way back up losing some seconds.

Can anyone help me out on this?
    Hmm. Not quite sure, because it seems to me you are describing the expected behaviour of Flight Assist Off. If your flying 200m/s forward and flip 180, in FA Off, then you'll be going 200m/s backwards. That's correct. Are you saying something different?

Originally Posted by Arthur Shappey View Post (Source)
    Hmm. Not quite sure, because it seems to me you are describing the expected behaviour of Flight Assist Off. If your flying 200m/s forward and flip 180, in FA Off, then you'll be going 200m/s backwards. That's correct. Are you saying something different?
    That's right, but my throttle (that I have mapped to the mouse wheel) will switch to going backwards too. So if I flip around, the ship will not slow down and gradually go forward but it will accelerate backwards.

Originally Posted by CenturionPuch View Post (Source)
    That's right, but my throttle (that I have mapped to the mouse wheel) will switch to going backwards too. So if I flip around, the ship will not slow down and gradually go forward but it will accelerate backwards.
    That is what FA Off does - I expect with a HOTAS you have a throttle slider (whatever it's called) so 75% forward is always set and will auto accelerate back to 75%, but with the XBox Controller for instance (looks like same as mouse/keyboard), there is no "set" throttle only increase and decrease so this is the behaviour of turning flight assist off.

Just map some keys to throttle speed presets and trigger them after you flip - I have 0%--50%--75%--100% all mapped to keys so I can trigger that particular throttle preset easily.

It's the flight computer trying to match your vector when you flip FA back on (and you get the same behaviour from a HOTAS throttle, regardless of its setting.)

夏草や
    兵どもが
    夢の跡
    Summer grass
    All that remains
    of young warriors' dreams

i7-6700K @4.4GHz -- Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! -- 16GB DDR4-3000 -- Asrock z170 Extreme IV -- Iiyama 32" 1080p -- OSVR HDK2 -- X52 Pro -- 3DConnexion Space Explorer