Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Exploration missions ideas

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Exploration missions ideas

    I'm sure similar threads popped up in the past, but it would be nice to let the ideas train going again. Maybe FD would pick it up and give at least something for explorer folk.

    Type 1.
    Fly to a designated system and scan specific body. Probably requires system to be already explored by somebody.

    Type 2.
    Geological survey. Similar to T1, with planetary landing. Travel to a system, find a body and land at designated coordinates.

    Type 3.
    Discovery data request. Bring exploration data of set value and/or type. For example 5 gas giants of set type, waterworlds, O-types etc.

    Type 4.
    Similar to T3, with a requirement being a data brought from a specific region of space. Like nebulae.

    Missions may or may not be time sensitive. Rank can affect maximum distance required to travel from a mission giver.
    I know this looks like stuff we already have, and quite similar to passenger missions. However, considering how little love exploration got since launch it would be something. Something to give your exploration trips a direction perhaps.
    I'm curious about how many people would be interested in something like that. Perhaps expand on the idea, to make it a viable missions concept for FD to work on.

  2. #2
    Exploring needs interesting things to find.

    If I were FDev, I would scatter a few hundred mysteries throughout the galaxy. Alien archaeology and ruins.

    There must have been races before the Thargoids. Old aliens who have long ago left or gone extinct. Imagine you find bits of the civilization scattered throughout the galaxy. It would be like a scavenger hunt or those Indiana Jones movies. Maybe some seriously difficult puzzles. You may need help from other players but you don't want to reveal the locations to players you don't trust. Maybe there would be treasure that would make you a credit Billionaire.

    Maybe you find a portal that takes you to the alien homeworld.

    Throw in some mysterious anomalies like Star Trek. Isn't Star Trek the ultimate guide to what we want space exploration to be? So, far we have just humans all over the galaxy and one alien race that slowly showing up. Nothing else.

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by BlackSpaceCowboy View Post (Source)
    Exploring needs interesting things to find.

    If I were FDev, I would scatter a few hundred mysteries throughout the galaxy. Alien archaeology and ruins.


    I would up that to a few thousand, just due to the sheer scope and size of the galaxy-at-large. But that is a really cool suggestion.

    Perhaps some of the puzzles could be booby-trapped, and become hostile if you make one too many mistakes?

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by tea_rex View Post (Source)
    I would up that to a few thousand, just due to the sheer scope and size of the galaxy-at-large. But that is a really cool suggestion.

    Perhaps some of the puzzles could be booby-trapped, and become hostile if you make one too many mistakes?
    I'm not sure you've quite grasped the scale either.

    400 BILLION systems.

    If FDev add 400,000 mysteries to the game, you still only have a 1 in a million chance to find them.

    According to EDSM, the most prolific explorer (CMDR Allitnil) is still well short of 100,000 first discovered systems. So even he only has a 1 in 10 chance of having discovered something at that rate.

  5. #5
    Well I'm sure some of the locked areas (like Orion, Hyponia, etc will eventually lead to more interesting things, Thargoids or not, they're locked currently for a reason...

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by khaos526 View Post (Source)
    Well I'm sure some of the locked areas (like Orion, Hyponia, etc will eventually lead to more interesting things, Thargoids or not, they're locked currently for a reason...
    It's so you ostensibly don't come upon CZ and USS. Our friends will return - to a CZ near you.

    To be fair there is likely other stuff. But this is the most likely reason.

  7. #7
    Please post ideas in the previous threads in the appropriate forums. It won't help if we fragment them.

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ts-Exploration

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by DrewCarnegie View Post (Source)
    I'm not sure you've quite grasped the scale either.

    400 BILLION systems.

    If FDev add 400,000 mysteries to the game, you still only have a 1 in a million chance to find them.

    According to EDSM, the most prolific explorer (CMDR Allitnil) is still well short of 100,000 first discovered systems. So even he only has a 1 in 10 chance of having discovered something at that rate.
    You could easily configure the probability of finding these objects by having these locations broadcast a signal that can be detected at a certain range. Adjust the range and you adjust the probability of discovery.