Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 272

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Murder hobos vs CG piracy

  1. #136
    Originally Posted by Genar-Hofoen View Post (Source)
    Wait.

    As far as slowing down drifting ships go - are the disabled ships permanently drifting as if they're in FA Off? Is it not possible to slow that ship down using your own ship (i.e. getting in front of the drifting ship's direction of travel and carefully slowing them to a halt?)

    Or is their drift something which can't be slowed down in that fashion?
    Should be possible but very difficult. I think a grappling hook on utility / weapon mount is actually very realistic (= something real space pirates should have, if there would be such a thing as space pirates...). This module should only be available in Anarchy stations (same for cargo hatch breakers). They should also be illegal, meaning you get a fine if you get scanned with them.

  2. #137
    Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander Lateralus

    Collection issues will definitely be a significant part of the review process for piracy, whether it means improving limpets or having some way to slow down a free moving vessel (I have to say, I personally *really* like the idea of this - some form of tether to literally drag a helpless ship to a stop. We'll need to chew this over).

    Also, boring caveat time no ETA or guarantees, We'll have a lot of ground to cover.
    Thanks for the reply Sandro, that's good to know you're looking at it.

  3. #138
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    Should be possible but very difficult. I think a grappling hook on utility / weapon mount is actually very realistic (= something real space pirates should have, if there would be such a thing as space pirates...). This module should only be available in Anarchy stations (same for cargo hatch breakers). They should also be illegal, meaning you get a fine if you get scanned with them.
    Hold on there - I think there's scope for gameplay using grappling hooks with the new Search & Rescue functionality that's being added soon.
    Imagine reeling in a tumbling wreck so that you can access the cargo or unlaunched escape pods or some such.

    Also, get 20 buddies all equipped with grappling hooks and go snag yourself a Thargoid mothership

  4. #139
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    Should be possible but very difficult. I think a grappling hook on utility / weapon mount is actually very realistic (= something real space pirates should have, if there would be such a thing as space pirates...). This module should only be available in Anarchy stations (same for cargo hatch breakers). They should also be illegal, meaning you get a fine if you get scanned with them.
    I'm not so sure about that. The legitimate use could be for fuel rat/rescue purposes, and pirates use it for a different purpose.

    Originally Posted by DrewCarnegie View Post (Source)
    Hold on there - I think there's scope for gameplay using grappling hooks with the new Search & Rescue functionality that's being added soon.
    Imagine reeling in a tumbling wreck so that you can access the cargo or unlaunched escape pods or some such.
    Hah! beat me to it

  5. #140
    Originally Posted by DrewCarnegie View Post (Source)
    Hold on there - I think there's scope for gameplay using grappling hooks with the new Search & Rescue functionality that's being added soon.
    Imagine reeling in a tumbling wreck so that you can access the cargo or unlaunched escape pods or some such.
    Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    I'm not so sure about that. The legitimate use could be for fuel rat/rescue purposes, and pirates use it for a different purpose.



    Hah! beat me to it
    How about two types of grappling hooks? One can only be used against hostile targets, the other can only be used with friendly targets? I know, sounds a bit gamey, but maybe the friendly hook transfers some kind of ship ID and gets authorisation

  6. #141
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    We'd also need a way of countering that somehow.
    I'm guessing the counter to being tethered by a pirate is "don't get your thrusters blown off"

  7. #142
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    How about two types of grappling hooks? One can only be used against hostile targets, the other can only be used with friendly targets? I know, sounds a bit gamey, but maybe the friendly hook transfers some kind of ship ID and gets authorisation
    Pirate version:





    Fuel rats version:




  8. #143
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    How about two types of grappling hooks? One can only be used against hostile targets, the other can only be used with friendly targets? I know, sounds a bit gamey, but maybe the friendly hook transfers some kind of ship ID and gets authorisation
    I prefer my limpet idea. A grappling hook feels a bit low tech.

  9. #144
    Perfect.



    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    I prefer my limpet idea. A grappling hook feels a bit low tech.
    How about we call it The Bat Hook?

  10. #145
    Originally Posted by Zaphod Hawke View Post (Source)
    If you're going to use terms such as "griefing", it would be helpful to everyone if there were official and clear guidelines on what constitutes said "griefing".
    I agree what constitutes unwanted behaviour would need to be defined as such before it can be punished. Stuff like CLogging is already defined so any punishment could be immediate (like the 1 for 5 engineers cheat). I suspect the definition is currently ill-defined & will eventually be fairly complex.

    Originally Posted by Zaphod Hawke View Post (Source)
    Perhaps a shadowy alternative to the Pilots Federadtion would be appropriate.
    I think this has been discussed before (it may have been you that brought it up) but I'm not sure this would be within the scope of the reason for putting the PF bounties in place. There may be room for a 'Pirate Elite Rank' type mechanic. I certainly wouldn't be against offering rewarding gameplay to those players adversely affected by the karma system, perhaps as a way to lower their karma points in a way that's more engaging for them (eg infiltrate the baddie gang & murder them all type stuff).

  11. #146
    Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander Lateralus

    Collection issues will definitely be a significant part of the review process for piracy, whether it means improving limpets or having some way to slow down a free moving vessel (I have to say, I personally *really* like the idea of this - some form of tether to literally drag a helpless ship to a stop. We'll need to chew this over).

    Also, boring caveat time no ETA or guarantees, We'll have a lot of ground to cover.
    This is good news. There's a number of suggestions RE "improving limpets" ranging from limpts being able to collect more than 1T at a time, to bundling cargo into bigger groups - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...llection-speed



    It would also be nice as regards getting the cargo:-
    1) To pirate amounts more realistic to target. eg: If you hatch break a full Hauler and a full T9, surely you should be able to extract far more cargo from the T9?
    2) Please lets revert the Hatch Breaker to something with a bit of challenge? eg: Need to reduce the target down to 1 bar of shields to lock it on?

  12. #147
    Originally Posted by Airsucker View Post (Source)
    So just so you're aware, since I'm part of The Code, this will hurt piracy. Traders will run more because if we shoot them we will get a bounty. So why would a trader comply with us?
    Because you're supposed to be reasonably effective at taking out drives and using limpets and a trader may not want to risk having drives taken out? If you aren't good with piracy tools, then of course, you'll have some learning to do.
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

  13. #148
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    Perfect.





    How about we call it The Bat Hook?
    I can live with bat hook ;-)

  14. #149
    What I don't get about all this is the pirate = good player nonsense.

    Pirates are traditionally considered to be nothing but thieves and murderers.

  15. #150
    Originally Posted by Zaphod Hawke View Post (Source)
    What I don't get about all this is the pirate = good player nonsense.

    Pirates are traditionally considered to be nothing but thieves and murderers.
    Provide entertaining gameplay for those that provide entertaining gameplay for you. Simple really

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast