Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Murder hobos vs CG piracy

Originally Posted by urth View Post (Source)
    I'm so sick of murder hobos hanging around the CGs.

I'm a pirate, which means I'm not trying to kill any traders, trades seem pretty cool with the situation as long as no ones trying to kill em. i always make it clear with what going on with a quick "engines off, submit to scan, this is a robbery", then if they run only take out the engines.
    50% of the time I'm not even wanted. but murder hobos are running around the place trying to justify there random attacks by claiming piracy or bounty hunting.
    I'm sorry but pirates don't carry anything bigger then pack hounds and also have the mandatory limpet collectors (no ones gonna scoop 30 tons of cargo at a time).
    The bounty hunting hobos are attacking while I'm not even wanted claiming I'm a pirate and in turn them selves becoming wanted. how can u bounty hunt something that isn't wanted?

so after the vent cant fdev do something about this... maybe something like GTA online has where if you get enough negative actions placed on your account that you get put into a player pool where your only with other "bad" players, then the hobos can have fun killing each other while the rest of socialized space can carry on blazing there own trail. and please dont tell me to play solo, npc piracy isnt fun and isnt implemented in a way that makes it feel good.

Laws of Open.

If you got yourself "Wanted" status, note that no matter what you did to obtain it, it still makes you a legit taget for anyone in non-anarchy areas.

Some Cmdrs will be able to see and tell whatever you are up to, by just lookin at you in supercruise... And potential piracy activity by someone weak is not being tolerate by many as well... and you still want to know why u get attacked even when clean.

If u still wanna-be a Pirate, better l2p to level where U can fend off most of attackers. If not atleast that, you might end up as a content or fodder for others.
    Name: Cmdr Elpapo
    Ranks: Elite, Elite, Pioneer.
    Note: Once known as extremely dangerous Imperial terrorist with confirmed atleast 3,748 Cmdrs kills. Currently sentenced to 50 years at Federal Underground Prison GG-449A, in lowest level 8th at Tiptree Gateway, Eravate.

I have pretty good ROE so I don't murder just anyone but....

The horse is dead, I'm tired of preaching

Ignem in nocte caelum

As a pirate I usually just ram people instead of shooting. This avoids getting a bounty and gets their attention still (usually) but can be slower and less effective than shooting.

Originally Posted by Noctover View Post (Source)
    C&P is coming, watch this space.

Oh and they paid money for the game too, so if they want to be murder hobo's within the game rules they can.
    C&P ain't going to do stop any of the shenaigans that goes on in opne, FDev have already said they don't wan't it to stamp out nefarious activities.Gankers will were their bounties with pride and we'll just haev those that whine about open but never play in there demanding that FD fix the broken C&P system.

Pirates complaining about bounty hunters not waiting for them to be wanted is like sharks complaining about orcas not waiting for them to eat a fish.... I had a conversation with a couple "gankers" turns out they have their own set of rules, and if you are the lucky target, its just your day. One went so far as to only attack "combat ships" well, that person defined such, as any ship with combat capability. (I asked for this explanation as "combat ship is subjective" ASPX with no weapons= explorer, ASPX with full weapon complement, armor, etc=combat ship. Python,Anaconda,Clipper,Cutter, eagle, FED gunship, drop ship and of course FED Vette met their criteria regardless of outfitting. Basically any ship designed with combat in mind. Regardless if the ship was at a exploration sight, carrying a SRV and all exploration tools. So just because you don't understand why someone is playing the game how they like, does not necessarily mean they are a fat boy in moms basement who feeds off your tears. Most of them don't really care about your feelings, they just want to fight you, because that is how they play with others. If you enter a system and see a blanket "Naval Blockade" local chat statement, either be a damn good pilot, or go solo for a bit until they get bored and go home. I spent 6 hours one night running through a naval blockade, and dodging pirates, it was fun. I had three rebuys, one was my fault, two for the blockade, but I made a long range trade 7 times successfully. So I win, but it was fun, and that is all anyone was trying to have. How boring is it to successfully do everything in the game? Where is the challenge? NPC pirates? You mean supercruise engine backfires....

This topic will never end until a mod stomps it. (and they should) or frontier goes full world of warcraft by making separate PVE and PVP servers. Which would blow. By the way, if everyone hiding in private or solo would come out to play at once, PVP players would be absolutely overrun. There are probably a whopping 500-1000 PVP dedicated players in the game. Can't be more, because I see the same 20-30 faces at every event, with only a 5-10 new person variance. Its hard to be a pvp pirate if no-one is around to steal from, its hard to be a pvp bounty hunter if there is no-one around to hunt. So I would challenge everyone to come out and play. You don't have to be there all the time, but some of the time would be nice. I myself still have some time in private groups with people who won't do open, or solo for broken CGs, or even crowded bounty hunting CGs. So there is a place for it, but don't be terrified to the point where the only place you meet new players is outside the game, if you do, greifers win.

I'm just going to sit back now and watch the mess.....

So I should come out of "hiding" from Solo or PG to "play" in Open...why?
    For whose benefit shall I do this?

The above may sound flippant but it really isn't. Perhaps some folk don't like to be the game content of others and forced to modify their play style accordingly. If you don't mind then do as you please and go to Open. I enjoy my non-PvP game just fine but YMMV.
    There are 3 modes - pick the one you want and have fun.

Lol where does the term murder hobo come from?

I'm just imagining a rusty banged up sidewinder piloted by cmdr Soupcan Harry randomly attacking players that he thinks are stealing his biowaste.

I really must start getting into some PVP. The stories that come out of it are great. Or I could go grind a bit more I suppose.

Semi sarcastic.

TBH I think the topic in the OP is not that clear. I for one wouldn't have an issue shooting the OP as I know he's been robbing people. Wanted status or not. But it would be some part of my own RP around being a 'vigilante' that goes after 'bad guys' whether or not the cops are chasing them at the time. Vigilante going after a criminal who is avoiding the law and playing the system, heck yeah I can get behind that!

Would I target and kill peaceful traders. quite possibly but I like to have reasons for doing something. Maybe I'm messing with BGS stuff or I'm RP'ing a nutter... In all honesty unless its a direct exploit it all fair game in open.

When I just want to go about my own business then I drop to PG or solo (usually just to be able to grab those 4xjuicy screen shots though)
    CMDR Madrax573

Praeliator of the dark places!

Come check out the daft FA-off pilots!

Discord - https://discord.gg/EN39rcP

Or my really bad FA-off vids

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZ...VXvEUGfJyvmXCg

I'd say it's combat loggers screw up piracy just as much. TBH it's threads whinging about player killers in a galaxy setting that makes the Wild West look like a kitty park (we've got slavery, state sanctioned mass murder, drugs smuggling and death sentence for parking infractions) which tempts me more and more to become one. Too many people want the scenery but not the risk. When NPCs became mildly dangerous all of a sudden and people had to set up their ships much as they would in Open just to survive there was an outcry. All casual nails in the coffin.

Something needs to be done about griefing. But something also needs to be done about pirates being able to remain clean. Making interdiction of a clean player attract a bounty rather than a fine would do it nicely.

You're always going to be subject to attack by player security forces while pirating. Although without the griefers around you would at least get more interesting RP interactions and fewer simple ganks.
    "I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers" - David Braben

Originally Posted by Ozram View Post (Source)
    I'd say it's combat loggers screw up piracy just as much. TBH it's threads whinging about player killers in a galaxy setting that makes the Wild West look like a kitty park (we've got slavery, state sanctioned mass murder, drugs smuggling and death sentence for parking infractions) which tempts me more and more to become one. Too many people want the scenery but not the risk. When NPCs became mildly dangerous all of a sudden and people had to set up their ships much as they would in Open just to survive there was an outcry. All casual nails in the coffin.
    I have similar thoughts as you mate. The more I hear about people complaining about pvp the more I want to do it and just become a wanton killer.
    CMDR Madrax573

Praeliator of the dark places!

Come check out the daft FA-off pilots!

Discord - https://discord.gg/EN39rcP

Or my really bad FA-off vids

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZ...VXvEUGfJyvmXCg

Originally Posted by Madrax573 View Post (Source)
    I have similar thoughts as you mate. The more I hear about people complaining about pvp the more I want to do it and just become a wanton killer.
    There's the reasoning! Sounds like your perfect for it.
    Blaze your own trail. Have fun.

Originally Posted by kofeyh View Post (Source)
    It's fine, Frontier is solving the problem by essentially making piracy unworkable, and giving PVP centric players a new competition. Everyone else will just go to solo.

Frontier have never really understood how to facilitate piracy, as a function. Or that giving players the tools to deal with PVP themselves (eg bounties that escalate, APB's for the top offenders, etc). Instead, moralising commanders panic about people profiting from hunting malcontents, when not combat logging in open and then complaining about being shot at.

There are ways Frontier can solve this. Karma, a global bounty system and a massively improved system security are a start.

I'm sorry, commander, but I think piracy is being thrown under the bus. Because frontier either won't, or can't discern between piracy and good old fashioned highway robbery, versus outright ganking. And so to be seen to be doing something, we get a system that essentially rewards ganking and penalises piracy.

I don't know what else to say. Frontier decided to allow free-for-all combat in open, then forgot to set anything remotely like mechanics around it. Now? I love frontier. I think they have done an amazing job. But this whole thing has been left far far too long.

The community is fundimentally devided. It will take so so much to try and repair that. I hope they can try. But it's going to be rough for a long time. I have some belief Frontier can do it. But it's going to be bad, guys and gals, it's going to be bad for a while yet.
    Nailed it. +rep

Originally Posted by urth View Post (Source)
    from my understanding the plans for C&P/Karma are going to punish me as much as the griefers. i dont understand how fdev can tell the difference between me shooting out some engines and becoming wanted and a guy just randomly going on a killing spree.

i dont think PGs are taking legit pirates on sadly.
    The problem of course is that although you're a 'legit' pirate as in an actual pirate not an in-game spree killer, you're not actually 'legit' within the context of the in-game law, in fact you're a career criminal. Not that I have any problem with that at all but I am struggling to work with the concept of a pirate who is somehow exempt from a crime and punishment system. You know, on account of the fact your in-game activity revolves around committing crimes.

I would however imagine that simply firing on a ship (to damage its powerplant) would be less of a negative factor in any in-game crime and punishment system than killing five commanders for lulz, much as in the real world the legal penalties I would face for keying my neighbour's car would hopefully be less than those for shooting him in the face before offing his entire family.

Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    The problem of course is that although you're a 'legit' pirate as in an actual pirate not an in-game spree killer, you're not actually 'legit' within the context of the in-game law, in fact you're a career criminal. Not that I have any problem with that at all but I am struggling to work with the concept of a pirate who is somehow exempt from a crime and punishment system. You know, on account of the fact your in-game activity revolves around committing crimes.
    Easiest solution is to have a different style of bounty for murder and for damage. IOW, perhaps have the PF bounties reserved for the PKs and everything else as local.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast