Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Murder hobos vs CG piracy

Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    Hi Urth & Lateralus! It was nice seeing you around at the CG yesterday - looking forward to be interdicted again. And, uh, this is not sarcasm.
    Your T9 has strong shields... I've adjusted my build accordingly. See you next time

Originally Posted by Pyrobee View Post (Source)
    C&P ain't going to do stop any of the shenaigans that goes on in opne, FDev have already said they don't wan't it to stamp out nefarious activities.Gankers will were their bounties with pride and we'll just haev those that whine about open but never play in there demanding that FD fix the broken C&P system.
    REP for accuracy

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post (Source)
    Your T9 has strong shields... I've adjusted my build accordingly. See you next time
    And your Python has a very sturdy Shield Generator... 6 Reverberating Cascade Torps didn't dent it!

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    ...... just because he is a hollow square.....
    Frontier Developments' biggest folly.

And your Python has a very sturdy Shield Generator... 6 Reverberating Cascade Torps didn't dent it!
    I think there was a shadow nerf to the reverb torps. Firing off and hitting four during the beta would barely take off 50% of an opponent's shield gen. I tried it a few times.

Originally Posted by Ozram View Post (Source)
    I think there was a shadow nerf to the reverb torps. Firing off and hitting four during the beta would barely take off 50% of an opponent's shield gen. I tried it a few times.
    I wonder if firing them sequentially has a bigger impact, as both volleys of three hit at the same time. If this is the case, then only organized wings will be able to pull this off, or agile ships with the Reverberating Cascade mines flying in front of bigger ones.

Surely I can't use ALL of my hardpoints for Torpedoes, can I? What would I follow up with otherwise.

Pity...

I wonder if firing them sequentially has a bigger impact, as both volleys of three hit at the same time. If this is the case, then only organized wings will be able to pull this off, or agile ships with the Reverberating Cascade mines flying in front of bigger ones.

Surely I can't use ALL of my hardpoints for Torpedoes, can I? What would I follow up with otherwise.

Pity...
    That's the one test I didn't do. I've fired off all in quick succession (two medium bays) and with a stager where I waited for the first to hit before launching the next. The results were the same. Could be diff one at a time, I suppose. Being as four take two bays and they do no damage to hull when shields are down, I don't see the point in using them at all anymore. I have placed them in storage for a future update.

8. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #83
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
    Hello Commander urth!

If you are not destroying ships, it's our intention that the karma system should not really affect you. Most likely we will want to track damage as well, but in general, if you're reasonably effective at taking out drives and using limpets, only the normal crime rules should trigger (you'll be subject to a bounty).

When it comes to "griefing", ship destruction, catastrophic damage and significant disparity between ship strength and player stats are the kinds of things that karma is interested in.

If we end up punishing the behaviour you describe when you pirate, we will be doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander urth!

If you are not destroying ships, it's our intention that the karma system should not really affect you. Most likely we will want to track damage as well, but in general, if you're reasonably effective at taking out drives and using limpets, only the normal crime rules should trigger (you'll be subject to a bounty).

When it comes to "griefing", ship destruction, catastrophic damage and significant disparity between ship strength and player stats are the kinds of things that karma is interested in.

If we end up punishing the behaviour you describe when you pirate, we will be doing it wrong.
    It all sounds a bit fuzzy. What do you mean by punish? Something within the game rules but involving pilots Federation bounties that work differently from regular bounties, or some method outside the rules of the game?

Hello Commander urth!

It would be quite good to get a thread about how you guys are actually planning to implement this.

Hello Commander urth!

Y'know all this would probably be made much easier with a Declaration Of Piracy mechanic. It just seems to me - as a coder - that such a mechanic would allow the game client to figure out the context of an interdiction and subsequent attack much better and far easier than the somewhat convoluted programming summersaults that'll have to be done for this karma system.

But what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by EddyRockSteady View Post (Source)
    Frontier Developments' biggest folly.
    Agreed!

Hello Commander urth!

Can you tell us if you are also looking at rewarding criminal behavior ?

Also, what do you think about tips during loading screen or at stations like :
    - Don't forget to run a shield! It is a cutthroat galaxy
    - It is not because you don't want to shoot others that others won't shoot at you

14. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #89
    Hello Commanders!

Hopefully we'll be going in to more depth with karma discussions in the future.

Hello Commander Ozram!

Initially, we want to use karma to apply appropriate, in-game consequences for contentious player-to-player interactions, such as ramming, seal clubbing and combat logging. The kinds of things we're talking about here might include: docking rights being revoked at high security systems, increased re-buy costs, additional, highly engineered bounty hunters.

It's important to note that a karma system is not a panacea, nor will it be instant - it's a way of building up intelligence over time to come to a reasoned decision on player intent.

Hello Commander Genar-Hofoen!

Well, we're going to need the somersaulting karma system for a number of activities, so adding in "griefing" seems like a reasonable cost/reward if we can get the numbers in a decent position.

However, the idea of a declaration of piracy is no less legitimate, as we think it's a cool concept in its own right (plus, it would very likely be possible to feed it into an active karma system anyway)! But to do this well, I think we're going to need NPC comms.

15. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #90
    Hello Commander PeLucheuh!

As part of the post 2.4 core game play rewview, we may be be looking at criminal roles to see if we can buff them up.

Also, loading screen tips are a good idea.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast